Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:05 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times

Advertisements

Many of you are very quick to point fingers and say that illegals need to be in jails. Many of you fail to realize that with them are children. These children do not need to be in jails. They have done nothing wrong. I urge you to look at this video and get educated on the conditions that these children live in the detention ICE centers.

The conditions are embarassing and the irony of all is that most of the parents of these children are here seeking asylum. In order for one to seek asylum, you must be in the country illegally. Then, why would they be then placed in jails? It makes no sense. As explained in the video, there are alternate options that are much cheaper. The dentention center cost per individual can run up to $200.oo, while alternate options can be as low as $14.00.

As someone who has worked at a prison before, I find these images very disturbing. I see no difference between this detention center and one used to house inmates at a maximum security prison.

Watch The Least of These - SnagFilms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Many of you are very quick to point fingers and say that illegals need to be in jails. Many of you fail to realize that with them are children. These children do not need to be in jails. They have done nothing wrong. I urge you to look at this video and get educated on the conditions that these children live in the detention ICE centers.

The conditions are embarassing and the irony of all is that most of the parents of these children are here seeking asylum. In order for one to seek asylum, you must be in the country illegally. Then, why would they be then placed in jails? It makes no sense. As explained in the video, there are alternate options that are much cheaper. The dentention center cost per individual can run up to $200.oo, while alternate options can be as low as $14.00.

As someone who has worked at a prison before, I find these images very disturbing. I see no difference between this detention center and one used to house inmates at a maximum security prison.

As was reported in the video those entering our country from known terrorist countries (OTM's) use to be given a court date to show up for an immigration hearing and let go. Most did not show up for their hearings. So the need for detention centers became necessary and "catch and release" was not practiced anymore. Illegal aliens were housed in these detention centers along with their children so as to not to separate the families.

There were reports of less than humane conditions at Hutto but those things have since been corrected. The solution is to grant immediate hearings on illegal alien/asylum seekers and either allow them to stay for reasons based on what our immigration laws state or swift deportations. This will be the most cost effective and discourage the bogus cliams of some asylum seekers and just plain border jumpers for economic gain. It will put to rest the claims of abuse also.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
As the granddaughter of refugees I think it is important to house refugees in clean, sanitary, safe conditions while their claims are being processed because unfortunately too many have proven to be a flight risk, i.e. they disappear and never show up for hearings, and become fugitives from the law. It is sad that people have abused this country's generosity and forced us into detaining refugees but it is what it is.

Also, refugees do not come here "illegally" in every case. In some cases their claims are processed outside the United States; this was the case with many Somalian and Sudanese refugees, and continues to be the case in Iraq. In other cases they arrive here on a student or tourist visa, then immediately claim asylum at immigration. The visa they came in on, if they have one, was usually genuine (i.e. it is not a forgery), though they did lie about their intentions when applying for it.

Not every refugee sneaks over the Rio Grande.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:

I'm sure they all left 5 bedroom houses with manicured lawns to come here Illegally. How dare they treat them this way when thay all came from such cozy environments. Da&n the US of A, it's all our fault.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM

256 posts, read 479,471 times
Nope. Lock them little suckers up.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:

What would happen to Americans with children if we deliberately broke the laws of some country?

I believe that people should be quickly deported and not held in detention centers unless they broke other laws like identification theft and felony document fraud or drug trafficking.

Often this is the choice of the illegals to put their families through this. They very often have the option of voluntary departure which means they are returned home quickly.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
The assumption in that video by those defending the illegals is that the entire world has the right to simply break any law of the USA and come here for any reason whatsoever and must be given a nice comfortable life here. Like the Spanish speaking woman with all the kids, seeking "asylum" but it's pretty obvious she's after welfare handouts for her many children including brand new baby.

The USA cannot handle all the world's problems. People who don't want to limit family size and be responsible, people who don't want to work for political change in their own countries but expect instant gratification in the USA.

Also this keeps families together which we all realize is a noble goal. What do they propose instead? Detain the parents and find foster homes for the children? The best solution is quick deportation.

Can we really keep up a policy where any number of people can simply waltz into the USA, work for extremely low wages, put Americans out of work but yet expect Americans to provide the free health care and food stamps their low wages can't provide them?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,586 times
In order to seek asylum, one must prove that their life would be in danger due to political, or religious beliefs, if returned to their country of origin. Wanting a better life is not a valid claim for asylum.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Having watched the entire film...

If the families are separated (parents deported or children placed in foster care while the case progresses), then the US is wrong for separating them. If the families are kept together (as shown), then the US is wrong again.

Why is it never asked about the parents responsibility for causing their children to be in such conditions by the parents illegal behavior?

Several of the cases shown involve women fleeing domestic situations. This was a bad personal choice on the woman's part - hooking up with some Neanderthal and having 3,4,5,6 children by him. Why does someone making a bad personal choice qualify them for refugee status? If they can travel thousands of miles to cross the US border, why could they not relocate to another city within their own country? (The don't know anyone in another city? Guess what, they don't have anyone here either!)

The woman and her daughter freed on bond and visiting the laudromat - were those tax dollars being fed into the Coke machine and video games so they could play while clothes were being washed? Are those tax dollars paying the rent?

Multiply all this by thousands, with more crawling over the border every day. I want a better life for my kids, too, but I'm not looking for anyone else to pay for it.

The movie is typical bleeding-heart propaganda. A sad story, complete with a lonely-sounding soundtrack, crafted to tug at heart strings.

These kids, every one of them, need to be outraged at the parents who put them into such a situation by irresponsible and illegal behavior. They need to be as pi$$ed as the US citizens who are forced to foot the bill for it.

I agree with Jayarcy - "Wanting a better life is not a valid claim for asylum."

Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Having watched the entire film...

If the families are separated (parents deported or children placed in foster care while the case progresses), then the US is wrong for separating them. If the families are kept together (as shown), then the US is wrong again.

Why is it never asked about the parents responsibility for causing their children to be in such conditions by the parents illegal behavior?

Several of the cases shown involve women fleeing domestic situations. This was a bad personal choice on the woman's part - hooking up with some Neanderthal and having 3,4,5,6 children by him. Why does someone making a bad personal choice qualify them for refugee status? If they can travel thousands of miles to cross the US border, why could they not relocate to another city within their own country? (The don't know anyone in another city? Guess what, they don't have anyone here either!)

The woman and her daughter freed on bond and visiting the laudromat - were those tax dollars being fed into the Coke machine and video games so they could play while clothes were being washed? Are those tax dollars paying the rent?

Multiply all this by thousands, with more crawling over the border every day. I want a better life for my kids, too, but I'm not looking for anyone else to pay for it.

The movie is typical bleeding-heart propaganda. A sad story, complete with a lonely-sounding soundtrack, crafted to tug at heart strings.

These kids, every one of them, need to be outraged at the parents who put them into such a situation by irresponsible and illegal behavior. They need to be as pi$$ed as the US citizens who are forced to foot the bill for it.

I agree with Jayarcy - "Wanting a better life is not a valid claim for asylum."
The concept of personal responsibility is something they seem to not grasp. If I engage in illegal activities, and the consequence of my decisions harm my child, I would have only myself to blame.

I agree with malamute, deportation should be swift. Apprehend these parents, and return them and their children to their countries of origin. After all, they are here illegally. There is no good reason the taxpayers of this country should have to pay for their detention. Let their beloved countries support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration