Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

the information is out there. upon being CAUGHT for illegal re entry the punishment for the first offense is a fine and the possibility of up to 2 years in jail. the second time its a fine and the possibility of 10 years, the third time its also a fine and up to 20 years.

this is federal law.

the info is out there. what has complicated the procees is the shoddy intel they were getting from the perps (the use of aliases and such) and crime databases were not always linked. so getting caught or arrested in one state might not show up in another state.

those are logistical problems that are being dealt with. i am an advocate of getting as much info on these people as possible, i.e. blood type, retinal scans, forearm length (biometric info) etc etc.

its not a cake walk for an illegal whose caught and put in the system.
but i will concede that enforcment is not always consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I'll give you credit on your call out. That is actually what I was looking for when I threw this thread up. This thread poses a silly comparison on a couple fronts:

1.) Our country is not ran by religious madmen or dictators like the other two countries mentioned. We treat crime differently here. And those caught entering these countries are not flocking to them in mass numbers as if it's the promised land. Normally, the illegal crossing into those other countries is often done by mistake or miscommunication on the part of the trespasser, or the charges are trumped up by the government.

2.) We do not give them rewards when they are caught. The rewards come after their next successful attempt, once they have bedded down amongst their own kind here in the states. I would like to see where you get information regarding this stiff jail time you refer to. As far as I know through my dealings with criminal justice entities, illegals are simply put on the next ride going back south. If what you say is true, the number of illegals would not be what it is.

This thread was designed to have a bit of sarcasm, but in all reality, it is not off base at all. We coddle these people once they make it here. If we treated every illegal caught in the act the same way Iran and N. Korea treats trespassers, this problem would diminish a great extent.

The fact of the matter is that our politicians are afraid they will lose the all-powerful minority vote at election time if they crack down hard on illegals.

So, what is your take on this issue. Do you not believe that this is a problem that will have nasty future implications on our country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:34 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Let me see if I understand all this....

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY...
YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR...

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY,
YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY...

IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET A
DRIVER'S LICENSE, SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, WELFARE,
FOOD STAMPS, FREE EDUCATION, AND FREE HEALTH CARE?

Nope..I guess I still don't understand...

A workmate sent this to me. Let me hear everybody who can argue these points. I want to hear your views. The topic is as old as dirt, but as relevant as ever in today's society.
So are you suggesting that we should be more like North Korea and Iran?

Those are practically utopias. I just love their sane leaders!

Honestly, if this is the argument against our immigration policies (and a false one at that, illegals don't get licenses, they just drive without...I can see Tijuana from my office, trust me on this) the debate is already lost.

America is the land of the free.
Iran and North Korea are two of the most evil countries in the world.
Which would you rather associate yourself with?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:16 PM

11,256 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post

Honestly, if this is the argument against our immigration policies (and a false one at that, illegals don't get licenses, they just drive without...I can see Tijuana from my office, trust me on this) the debate is already lost.

There is middle ground between the way Iran and N. Korea handle their affairs, and the way we could improve our techniques. I think you know exactly what I mean.

As far as driving without licenses, that's even better. I'm sure we'll crack down on them harder for that too! If the U.S. gave a damn about the problem, immigration officials would have a hayday in front of every Home Depot in America at 6 AM, seven days a week.

America is the land of the free, and I'm grateful for that. My ancestors passed through Ellis Island like most immigrants of the time. They embraced their new home, took the time to learn the language, and were productive members of our society contributing to American business and putting their hard earned money back into the American economy. And they sure as hell did not fly the flag of their homeland over the American flag at their place of business!

"Land of the free" does not mean free handouts for everybody.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

For what we as Americans are trying to accomplish... Is there really anyone trying to sneak into those two countries mentioned, to find work?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:

Better yet: how about copying/pasting immigration law from Ireland, the UK, France, Mexico or even Singapore instead? All of the above nations are democracies----------just that all of the above are much harsher towards illegals than the USA.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
The most expedient thing seems to be...charge them with espionage. That's serious business even here in America. Let's see, 20 million people charged with spying...providing defense for that number of criminals might just bankrupt the ACLU and ALL the various sob-sister organizations like LULAC, etc.

YEAH !!!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The most expedient thing seems to be...charge them with espionage. That's serious business even here in America. Let's see, 20 million people charged with spying...providing defense for that number of criminals might just bankrupt the ACLU and ALL the various sob-sister organizations like LULAC, etc.

YEAH !!!
In our dreams!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 PM

11,256 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

YEAH !!!
I like where you are going with this thought. Could you elaborate on it just a little? Would it really be that hard to justify in today's post- 9/11 world?

Unfortunately, like AZ Bear stated, it has no chance of becoming a reality in the bleeding heart liberal cesspool we call America these days.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:36 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
<Sigh!> Ain't gonna happen... but we can have DREAMs of our own, can't we?

Hey, on the bright side, at least Ted Kennedy's gone!
Clearly your humility is too.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 AM

277 posts, read 368,666 times
Quote:
Let me see if I understand all this....

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY...
YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR...

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY,
YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY...

IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET A
DRIVER'S LICENSE, SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, WELFARE,
FOOD STAMPS, FREE EDUCATION, AND FREE HEALTH CARE?

Nope..I guess I still don't understand...

A workmate sent this to me. Let me hear everybody who can argue these points. I want to hear your views. The topic is as old as dirt, but as relevant as ever in today's society.
You are comparing these oppressive regimes to the US? Please, don't disrespect the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration