Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

I would prefer that illegals live in sheer terror of the consequences of being discovered as such.

When it was somewhat like that way back when, they didn't flood across, and the crime rates were much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Who gives them these "freebies" you are talking about? How long have they been getting them?
Cancel brithright citizenship for Anchor Babies-----------that will put a hurtin' to illegal aliens big time.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 PM

11,254 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
such a fail!! and i will tell you why.

those crossing the NK or IRANI border were caught and given some form of punishment (hard labor, etc).

those caught crossing the US border illegally are also given some form of punishment. they ARE NOT GIVEN SSI OR WELFARE OR WHATEVER.

thats a ridiculous claim.

try again.
What part of my thread is a fail?

Like they say, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You're a frickin' bleeding heart liberal!

There is no punishment. They get sent back to Mexico to do it again, and again, and again, until they succeed. I'm glad you support our border patrol whose hands are tied behind their backs by our silly immigration politics. Their lives are on the line trying to protect our way of life, yet their efforts are being negated by U.S. politics. Get a grip on reality.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
what dont you get?

this analogy with north korea and iran is ridiculous.

we are talking about what happens to those aprehended.

the OP is trying to make it seem that someone who is apprehended gets rewarded for such.

thats just not the case.

its oranges to apples.
oranges= people caught in a country illegally
apples= illegal immigrants in a country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Illegals caught in this country face, at worst, being returned to their own country. They are routinely provided with medical care by simply showing up at any hospital emergency room. This care may even include birth care for children who are presumed to have full US citizenship even though they were not even conceived in this country, organ transplants, kidney dialysis, or cancer treatment. The cost of that care must either be absorbed by the hospital or is passed along to legitimate patients in the form of higher healthcare costs (e.g., the $10 aspirin). Illegals may freely register their children to be educated at our school at US taxpayer expense without fear of being asked for their status. These children are provided with funds for their care which come from the pockets of real US citizens who have worked hard to make this country what it is. They may also in many states apply for and receive drivers' licenses which then allow them to open bank accounts into which to deposit wages obtained illegally and without paying taxes. Illegals may openly protest on our streets waving the flags of their own country while wiping their feet on our flag. Illegals may freely take funds from the aforementioned bank accounts and openly send the money home without fear of being asked the source of those funds. Illegals have advocacy groups comprised of bleeding hart liberals with both self-guilt issues and a hatred of the US working on their behalf to make sure they receive benefits which even US citizens are not entitled to. Illegals may sue for wages not paid (although not legally earned) and will receive legal assistance to do so.

Illegals may not be thrown into prison simply for being here.

So where's the punishment at? Am I missing something?

I still think both Iran and North Korea have us beat on dealing with the illegal presence problem.

I would prefer that illegals live in sheer terror of the consequences of being discovered as such.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM

well thats a different topic.

but to agree with the comparison/analogy posited by the OP is ridiculous.
that analogy does not hold water.

so the discussion then turns to this game of "cat and mouse".

veterans of the board know that i am for obtaining biometric information on all criminals.
i am also for chipping those violent repeat offenders who happen to be here illegally.
i really think the US and foreign countries would be served well by a comprehensive monitoring system based on implanted chips... like they do for sex offenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, with catch and release, their detainment is a mere inconvenience. They know they will ultimately get the freebies. After all, if first you don’t succeed. . . .

Many have been deported 15-20 times. It’s a game of cat and mouse to them. We need to get serious. If that requires militarizing our borders, so be it.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM

see post 34...

your logic is failed.

and there is a punishment. felonious charges for re entry...

fines and prison time (2, 10, 20 years)
do people not know this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
What part of my thread is a fail?

Like they say, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You're a frickin' bleeding heart liberal!

There is no punishment. They get sent back to Mexico to do it again, and again, and again, until they succeed. I'm glad you support our border patrol whose hands are tied behind their backs by our silly immigration politics. Their lives are on the line trying to protect our way of life, yet their efforts are being negated by U.S. politics. Get a grip on reality.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
well thats a different topic.

but to agree with the comparison/analogy posited by the OP is ridiculous.
that analogy does not hold water

so the discussion then turns to this game of "cat and mouse".

veterans of the board know that i am for obtaining biometric information on all criminals.
i am also for chipping those violent repeat offenders who happen to be here illegally.
i really think the US and foreign countries would be served well by a comprehensive monitoring system based on implanted chips... like they do for sex offenders.
Quote:
see post 34...

your logic is failed.

and there is a punishment. felonious charges for re entry...

fines and prison time (2, 10, 20 years)
do people not know this?
Obviously, the punishment is not a deterrent. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have illegals entering our country and being deported 15-20 times. Nor would we have 20+ million living here in flagrant violation of our laws. How many actually spend any ‘real’ time in jail? Whenever an illegal sneezes in jail, the ACLU is there to file a discrimination or civil rights lawsuit. C’mon, we both know it’s a joke.

Under NO circumstances would I attempt to illegally enter N. Korea or Iran. Why? Because, I value my life. I wouldn’t even want to get caught illegally in Mexico -- for the same reason. Contrast the treatment illegals receive in those countries to the coddling they receive here. There is no comparison.

Sorry, but the OP is spot-on.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM

no they are not. they are comparing two different populations.

one that is caught and one that is not.

how is that so hard to understand...

are you arguing that penalties for being in the country illegally should be more stringent. thats a valdi enough discussion. but not one that the OP presents.

AND a critical peice missing in the discussion is the specifc charges against those "reporters". they were not just detained for illegal entry or for trespassing, they were charged with espionage and other crimes.

thats another reason the comparison makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obviously, the punishment is not a deterrent. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have illegals entering our country and being deported 15-20 times. Nor would we have 20+ million living here in flagrant violation of our laws. How many actually spend any ‘real’ time in jail? Whenever an illegal sneezes in jail, the ACLU is there to file a discrimination or civil rights lawsuit. C’mon, we both know it’s a joke.

Under NO circumstances would I attempt to illegally enter N. Korea or Iran. Why? Because, I value my life. I wouldn’t even want to get caught illegally in Mexico -- for the same reason. Contrast the treatment illegals receive in those countries to the coddling they receive here. There is no comparison.

Sorry, but the OP is spot-on.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:

are you arguing that penalties for being in the country illegally should be more stringent. thats a valdi enough discussion. but not one that the OP presents.

AND a critical peice missing in the discussion is the specifc charges against those "reporters". they were not just detained for illegal entry or for trespassing, they were charged with espionage and other crimes.

The OP never mentioned specifics, never mentioned the reporters, only the consequences of illegal entry into those countries. Contrast that to the consequences of illegal entry here.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM

11,254 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:

I'll give you credit on your call out. That is actually what I was looking for when I threw this thread up. This thread poses a silly comparison on a couple fronts:

1.) Our country is not ran by religious madmen or dictators like the other two countries mentioned. We treat crime differently here. And those caught entering these countries are not flocking to them in mass numbers as if it's the promised land. Normally, the illegal crossing into those other countries is often done by mistake or miscommunication on the part of the trespasser, or the charges are trumped up by the government.

2.) We do not give them rewards when they are caught. The rewards come after their next successful attempt, once they have bedded down amongst their own kind here in the states. I would like to see where you get information regarding this stiff jail time you refer to. As far as I know through my dealings with criminal justice entities, illegals are simply put on the next ride going back south. If what you say is true, the number of illegals would not be what it is.

This thread was designed to have a bit of sarcasm, but in all reality, it is not off base at all. We coddle these people once they make it here. If we treated every illegal caught in the act the same way Iran and N. Korea treats trespassers, this problem would diminish a great extent.

The fact of the matter is that our politicians are afraid they will lose the all-powerful minority vote at election time if they crack down hard on illegals.

So, what is your take on this issue. Do you not believe that this is a problem that will have nasty future implications on our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration