Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

This is no surprise.

Quote:
Following a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement raid that nabbed 300 undocumented workers at a Columbia Farms processing plant in Columbia, S.C., a spooked House of Raeford quietly began replacing immigrants with native-born labor at all of its plants. Less than a year later, House of Raeford’s flagship production line in Raeford, N.C., had been transformed, going from more than 80 percent Latino to 70 percent African-American, according to a report by the Charlotte Observer.

Four years later, with national unemployment hovering around 10 percent and black male unemployment at a staggering 17.6 percent, it seems even less likely that immigrants are filling only those jobs that Americans won’t deign to do. Just ask Delonta Spriggs, a 24-year-old black man profiled in a November Washington Post piece on joblessness, who pleaded, “Give me a chance to show that I can work. Just give me a chance.”

“I don't believe there are any jobs that Americans won't take, and that includes agricultural jobs,” says Carol Swain, professor of law at Vanderbilt University and author of Debating Immigration. “[Illegal immigration] hurts low-skilled, low-wage workers of all races, but blacks are harmed the most because they're disproportionately low-skilled.”

This type of discussion has proved difficult in the past, however. “Many of the black scholars dance around this hard issue,” says Swain. “They do their research in such a way that it doesn’t address how immigration affects blacks. There’s a lot of pressure to say the politically correct thing—that immigrants aren’t hurting African Americans. Well, that’s not true.”
How Illegal Immigration Hurts Black America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
You're advocating better education in rural North Carolina public schools? Encouraging higher enrollment in community colleges there?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:58 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
To think that only a gereration after Dr. MLK's push for Civil Rights, an End to Institutinalized Discrimination, and Equal Access to Education, Fair Housing and Self Determination, That a Law Professor does not advocate better Educational Oppotunities for Blacks. Does not advocate more access to Job Training and On the Job Training Opportunities. She instead leaves blacks with the message...

As soon as we evict Illegal Immigrats, then America will have a job for you.

“I don't believe there are any jobs that Americans won't take, and that includes agricultural jobs,” says Carol Swain, professor of law at Vanderbilt University and author of Debating Immigration. “[Illegal immigration] hurts low-skilled, low-wage workers of all races, but blacks are harmed the most because they're disproportionately low-skilled.”

Professor C. Swain

Old 02-12-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You're advocating better education in rural North Carolina public schools? Encouraging higher enrollment in community colleges there?

Why of course. However, the issue is illegal immigration and its impact on low-skilled and uneducated black Americans.

In a perfect world, everyone would be educated and all would have marketable skills. But, this isn’t a Utopian society. Thus, we will always have the uneducated and unskilled. They too deserve the opportunity to make a living; and they shouldn’t be forced to compete against people who have no right to be here.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
To think that only a gereration after Dr. MLK's push for Civil Rights, an End to Institutinalized Discrimination, and Equal Access to Education, Fair Housing and Self Determination, That a Law Professor does not advocate better Educational Oppotunities for Blacks. Does not advocate more access to Job Training and On the Job Training Opportunities. She instead leaves blacks with the message...

As soon as we evict Illegal Immigrats, then America will have a job for you.

Professor C. Swain
Apparently, I missed those comments. Where in this article did she advocate ignorance among black citizens?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Greedy low wage employers are the problem.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apparently, I missed those comments. Where in this article did she advocate ignorance among black citizens?
She, like you, is presuming that black citizens must necessarily remain at the bottom rung of the ladder, and that they're being crowded off the ladder from below -- not encouraged to move up it, if you get my drift.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
She, like you, is presuming that black citizens must necessarily remain at the bottom rung of the ladder, and that they're being crowded off the ladder from below -- not encouraged to move up it, if you get my drift.
There are always going to be black, white and other Americans at the bottom of the ladder because we all don't have the same capacity to learn and to move up. Many Americans regardless of race prefer blue collar jobs. These Americans should not have to compete with illegal aliens for those jobs.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I get your drift. You support illegal immigration, and you are using your perception of black Americans as being non-achievers as your justification. However, the problem of illegal immigration has no bearing on the educational aspirations, or lack thereof, of black Americans. Do you have the same impression of low-skilled or uneducated whites being displaced by illegal aliens, or is this behavior exclusive to blacks?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are always going to be black, white and other Americans at the bottom of the ladder because we all don't have the same capacity to learn and to move up. Many Americans regardless of race prefer blue collar jobs. These Americans should not have to compete with illegal aliens for those jobs.
And yet they are having to, as are poor whites though the professor doesnt note them, because the employers in that neck of the NC woods have no compunction regarding paying as low as they can get away with. So what is to be done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration