Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:33 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,418,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
A major bank is now handing out credits cards to non-citizens with no doc?
We closed our BoA account primarily because of that credit card.

I'm not sure how many Fortune 500 or big businesses in general directly employ illegal immigrants, but you can be sure that the buildings their working in were built, in part, on illegals. So there's a certain guilt by association there, most likely in a "just don't tell me who you're employing" policy.

There's only so much the general public can do to stop this without cutting off their own noses. However there has to be something done from the Hill to bring this to a halt. The sooner illegals can no longer find work, the sooner they leave (and just stop coming in illegally), the sooner wages for unemployed legal citizens improve, the sooner more money becomes available to build schools, expand roads, help build the infrastructure due to having more tax paying citizens.

And you're right: we've created the path of least resistance and we've allowed it for too long. So when the people who live in Texas close to the Mexican border take up arms against the illegals attempting to hide out on their property, well you can't blame them either since nothing's being done about it.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,443,294 times
My company has required very strict documentation for years regarding doucumented immigrants, much more than the government requires. Our parent company is British, but we have about 150,000 employees in the US, so it is best to cover ourselves. Of course, nothing is perfect and I am sure out of that many people there are some illegals. Did you see the illegal immigrant that was actually a cop somewhere? Scary.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:27 AM

770 posts, read 3,683,359 times
If NC gives illegal immigrants amnesty, I will be transplanting some place else. You should not be awarded for something you did illegally. Not lony that, it will not be too long after they get amnesty when they start applying for college grants and they are taking the skilled jobs away from Americans also. It is a no win situation!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM

460 posts, read 2,423,617 times
This morning I am watching on TLC Flip this house. I am sure most of you have seen it. Well it seems that people in California can flip that house because they are using day laborers that stand out near the Home Depot. How can TLC broadcast this with this issue being in the forefront?
Of course you can make more money flpping homes if you pay people hardly nothing who are illegal aliens to do most of your labor.
I now think I have to write an email to TLC.
In the majority of the country when you have to flip a house you have to hire Insured contractors. Hardly even revelent to most situations.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
We closed our BoA account primarily because of that credit card.

I'm not sure how many Fortune 500 or big businesses in general directly employ illegal immigrants, but you can be sure that the buildings their working in were built, in part, on illegals. So there's a certain guilt by association there, most likely in a "just don't tell me who you're employing" policy.

There's only so much the general public can do to stop this without cutting off their own noses. However there has to be something done from the Hill to bring this to a halt. The sooner illegals can no longer find work, the sooner they leave (and just stop coming in illegally), the sooner wages for unemployed legal citizens improve, the sooner more money becomes available to build schools, expand roads, help build the infrastructure due to having more tax paying citizens.

And you're right: we've created the path of least resistance and we've allowed it for too long. So when the people who live in Texas close to the Mexican border take up arms against the illegals attempting to hide out on their property, well you can't blame them either since nothing's being done about it.
Good post above....kudo's to you for that "hit the nail on the head" statement, and a big fat rep. point to you, sir/ mam.
I am strictly AGAINST illegal immigration, since I am a LEGAL immigrant myself, and have no mercy on that subject.
I went trough the whole spiel of coming here legal, even tough, I was MARRIED at the time to a US soldier! I STILL had to go trough the whole thing, pay fee's after fee's, filing papers after papers, still waiting almost 12 months to get it legalized, and paid my taxes since the first steps I made onto US soil!!!
So, why can't they?
I learned english, learned the culture, still see myself as a welcomed guest here in the US, I am not pushing my heritage on to you, not demanding for you to learn and speak german to me (since plenty of people are to lazy to learn it, but expect and demand you to!!!), treat you with total disrespect for you and your country I am IN, run down the street with my fellow parasites, bleed you and the system dry of money and resources and burn YOUR flag in the middle of the street!!!!
Tell me, people, HOW MUCH MORE INSULT do you want to take????
Until the day comes, when you have to answer to a hispanic run government????
Well, you better learn spanish then, and the hispanic customs...
Don't forget, when one illegal get's the legal status under the current proposal, those exact people will earn the right to vote in 7 or 8 years, and run for government postions as well.......think long run.....
The current proposal about the immigration issue is so flawed, and will give nothing but heartbreak to the legal american citizens,and legal residents.
Sorry, I can't imagine, that NC or any other state for that matter (unless already overflooded with illegals, and run by them) would welcome illegals and all the bad they come with.
But, maybe I'm wrong???

Old 06-02-2007, 10:08 AM

56 posts, read 327,008 times
Immigration and 287(g)by District Attorney Rex Gore
Posted: May 10, 2007 11:36:42 AM

The United States is a nation of immigrants "historically welcoming those who seek a better life or need protection from oppressive governments around the earth. However, there is a growing concern among those is law enforcement and in the community in general about the crime and other service demands being made on our area by "illegal" immigrants. While immigration is an issue governed by federal statutes, illegal immigration is a growing problem locally. I met yesterday (May 9) with the three sheriffs in my prosecutorial district to discuss our response to the issue "specifically about applying for section "287(g)" status for our departments. Sheriffs Steve Bunn (Bladen), Ron Hewett (Brunswick) and Chris Batten (Columbus) agree that we need a unified effort in southeastern North Carolina and each is taking the initials steps to gain 287(g) status. They are enthusiastic and committed to getting a handle on this issue. The approval process is long, however. Columbus County has already made a preliminary inquiry and Brunswick and Bladen are doing so.

Section 287(g) originated in the 1996 amendments to the Immigration and Nationality Act passed by Congress. The initiative is designed to effectively multiply the forces of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) through enhanced cooperation and communication with state and local law enforcement. Under 287(g), ICE provides state and local law enforcement with the training and subsequent authorization to identify, process, and when appropriate, detain immigration offenders they encounter during their regular, daily law-enforcement activity. Section 287 (g) is not designed to allow local LEO to do on-site raids or roundups.

In June of last year, agencies in only five states had applied for 287 (g) status and less than 150 officers had been cross-designated. Most of the 287(g) work is done in the jails, identifying illegals. Only five counties in North Carolina have such status, most along the I-85 corridor. Our counties will be among the newest.

When status is granted and the four week training program completed, the Sheriffs will be able to quickly check the status of folks brought into their jails. Those determined to be illegal will be held for pickup by ICE for deportation. This should help us get the drunks, the violent, and those dealing dope in our county. I restate again that this program does not allow for on-site raids or roundup. But it does give us another tool. I will keep you posted on progress through the process.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,553,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Good post above....kudo's to you for that "hit the nail on the head" statement, and a big fat rep. point to you, sir/ mam.
I am strictly AGAINST illegal immigration, since I am a LEGAL immigrant myself, and have no mercy on that subject.
I went trough the whole spiel of coming here legal, even tough, I was MARRIED at the time to a US soldier! I STILL had to go trough the whole thing, pay fee's after fee's, filing papers after papers, still waiting almost 12 months to get it legalized, and paid my taxes since the first steps I made onto US soil!!!
So, why can't they?
I learned english, learned the culture, still see myself as a welcomed guest here in the US, I am not pushing my heritage on to you, not demanding for you to learn and speak german to me (since plenty of people are to lazy to learn it, but expect and demand you to!!!), treat you with total disrespect for you and your country I am IN, run down the street with my fellow parasites, bleed you and the system dry of money and resources and burn YOUR flag in the middle of the street!!!!
Tell me, people, HOW MUCH MORE INSULT do you want to take????
Until the day comes, when you have to answer to a hispanic run government????
Well, you better learn spanish then, and the hispanic customs...
Don't forget, when one illegal get's the legal status under the current proposal, those exact people will earn the right to vote in 7 or 8 years, and run for government postions as well.......think long run.....
The current proposal about the immigration issue is so flawed, and will give nothing but heartbreak to the legal american citizens,and legal residents.
Sorry, I can't imagine, that NC or any other state for that matter (unless already overflooded with illegals, and run by them) would welcome illegals and all the bad they come with.
But, maybe I'm wrong???

I'm advocating redirecting the energy/fury from hispanics towards those that could change it- your local rep (although I can fully understand playing by the rules, doing the hard work, and have someone get the same result by cheating). For all of our collective disdain for this piece of legislation, very little is being done through the process- probably because most people feel that it might be ineffective.

I remember this stretch of road in a residential neighborhood that cars you to fly through it (70+ mph in a 30 mph zone). Cars would zoom through because every knew the speed limit wasn't enforced. We could yell at the cars all we wanted, but it finally stopped when someone got the police there to set up to enforce the law (through issuing tickets, towings, etc.). Obviously an over simplified analogy, but in essence it's the same thing that's needed.

Instead of raiding factories and plants where illegals may be known to work, a more effective approach may be a high noon arrest of high ranking member of the executive staff of the hiring company. Somewhat likened to the Aldephia cable Rigas family arrest (planned for maximum exposure by the DA for maximum embarrassment, and to send a message.)

Old 06-02-2007, 11:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,418,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I learned english, learned the culture, still see myself as a welcomed guest here in the US,
You're no longer a guest. You went through the process, you pay your taxes like the rest of us, you're a full fledged citizen of the United States of America. It's people like yourself whom I welcome with open arms.

Miker, a lot of the frustration with this bill is also how Bush is pushing this onto the country. He's alienated so much of his base to begin with. How long before his approval ratings drop into the teens after this, particularly within his own party? How many more Republicans are going to have to distance themselves from this administration lest becoming caught in the same type of voter backlash/crossfire that we saw back in the 90's (how many seats did we lose then?). Like I said earlier, this is the second time he's putting this country at risk. This whole "alright, we'll letcha go this time" sets are horrific precedent to those on the fence of crossing over illegally (no pun intended).

Old 06-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,553,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You're no longer a guest. You went through the process, you pay your taxes like the rest of us, you're a full fledged citizen of the United States of America. It's people like yourself whom I welcome with open arms.

Miker, a lot of the frustration with this bill is also how Bush is pushing this onto the country. He's alienated so much of his base to begin with. How long before his approval ratings drop into the teens after this, particularly within his own party? How many more Republicans are going to have to distance themselves from this administration lest becoming caught in the same type of voter backlash/crossfire that we saw back in the 90's (how many seats did we lose then?). Like I said earlier, this is the second time he's putting this country at risk. This whole "alright, we'll letcha go this time" sets are horrific precedent to those on the fence of crossing over illegally (no pun intended).
Generally I would agree with you in regards to the distancing by Bush with respect to the GOP base- what's somewhat astonishing is the large support this has by both sides of isle. I don't know if it's fear of alienating the potential new voting citzens that will come about, some back room deal, etc.- I would have expected to be highly partisan but it seems like a big kumbaya fest. That's what's given reason for pause- I wonder what's really going on that we're not hearing.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
There are plenty of nice lazy white folk that do this already. The guest workers I know work there tails off while many caucasian citizens will try to buck the system any way they can. If they can set on their butts and get paid they will. Workers comp, unemployment whatever gets em a paycheck
Sure, there are some...but, the majority (like myself) WORK...and how do I know this? Because WE support people like that, and keep the economy going.
But, me as a taxpayer, would like the luxury to choose, WHERE MY TAX DOLLAR IS GOING!!!!
I'd rather support a couple of thousands of "nice lazy white folks" speaking english and smell a heck of a lot better, then MILLIONS of illegals, not even having ANY intention of learning the language or custom, but want our mighty DOLLAR.
Yup, you are darn right I would....

As I had posted before, and going back to the original question, NO, I do NOT think of any state wanting to support illegal immigrants in any way, shape or form, deal with all sorts of problems, and sabotage their own towns, infrastructures and people, UNLESS, the driving forces in town (mayor etc.) have their own personal interest invested in it, and looking for cheap labor themselves to employ like landscaping, nanny service, chaffeur etc.
I refuse to support illegal activity, especially when it concerns breaking the law on 4 levels...federal, state, immigration, and proposed city ordinances in some towns!
Sorry, that's just what I believe in, and stand by.

Last edited by MB2; 06-02-2007 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: add on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration