Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comesijaya View Post
Great post, the usa has been the land of opportunity for centuries, and we owe our continued progress to the constant influx of people, including undocumented, in fact the first undocumented european settlers of the usa were spanish. I was born a us citizen, however, I've never felt entilted to anything ever. I do not fear immigrants because I am a hard
worker and I am ready for any challenges, so far the prevalence of undocumented people in the usa is less than 5% which is low compared to other developed societies.
I am proud of my country because the vast majority of people are civilized, and don't blame others for their own failures. Most of these
radicals that try to undermine hispanic values are part of the underclass, with low education, low skills, many with alcohol or drug addiction, and in general with low political clout
Hispanic values? I thought we were discussing illegal immigration. Are you suggesting illegal immigration is a core component of Hispanic values?

BTW, welcome back!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Am I the only one here who realizes that the United States of America was founded by illegal immigrants?
Well, yes you are the only one. The reason would be is that everyone else knows tha there were no immigration laws back then.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Hispanic values? I thought we were discussing illegal immigration. Are you suggesting illegal immigration is a core component of Hispanic values?

BTW, welcome back!
Welcome back Kotter? lol.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 PM

264 posts, read 457,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Well, yes you are the only one. The reason would be is that everyone else knows tha there were no immigration laws back then.
Nor was there a United States.

Unfortunately for persons who promote this myth as an excuse for lawlessness, the U.S. has been a recognized sovereign nation with a defined territory, a constituted government, and laws regarding citizenship for over 220 years.

Every country in the world affirms its right to national sovereignty. Moreover, the U.S. holds the most generous immigration policies of any nation, and grants citizenship to more persons each year than the rest of the world combined.

As Ronald Reagan once said, "A nation without borders is not a nation."

Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Am I the only one here who realizes that the United States of America was founded by illegal immigrants?
The English settlers arrived here without papers, but because they were fleeing oppression of one sort or the other in their homeland; much the same way that many (most but not all, unfortunately) are fleeing their home countries to make a better living here in the United States.
Unless you are of Native American blood then your ancestors didn't really belong in this country either. For many years the U.S. government shamelessly forced legit Natives off their homelands, married into their families in most cases to destroy their bloodlines, destroyed their culture, everything. And then the Americans--who were really European transplants--made up their own laws about who could and could not be here, after wresting it forcibly from those who were already living on this continent.
And now many people are again calling out the Latinos, labeling them as invaders and criminals. Now I'll admit, when we have such a porous border, anyone can come over, and that includes those who really are just looking for trouble. But most of these people simply just want to lead a better life for their families than what they can get back in their nations, and the only law they usually ever break is one that was made by individuals who were invaders in their own right.
Hell, most of these people go to work for construction, landscaping, and a multitude of other tasks that generates money for business as well as social improvement structures. A lot do not pay taxes, but many do. Many illegal aliens are given checks from which the government takes out federal income tax; except then the immigrants rarely are able to get refunds from what was taken out because of their status.
I'm not championing illegal immigration. I'm saying that people should have a little bit more sympathy for their cause, instead of flat out calling them invaders and criminals. People should also be more aware of the severe irony of today's immigration laws.
How do we solve this? I don't really know. Perhaps raise the number of Visas per year and put a cap on how much these people can send back to their families in other countries.
As for the theft of education and welfare, etc. Well, who isn't entitled to such things? If these people are going to school to learn English and to better educate themselves, who are we to horse those things for ourselves?
Native American Indians did not author our constitution nor did they win the war over the territory we now call the United States. Whatever bad we've done we've tried to address it directly, so don't mix apples with oranges. These are cats of a different stripe. You've muddied sentiments unable to discern the difference between earnest immigrants meaning to make a better life for themselves abiding the system in place versus illegal immigrants scamming their way past the law.

Illegal immigrants petitioning the government for reform of it's immigration policy, to expand the quotas or temporary work visas-- that's not how they went about things. Would they have petitioned the citizens of USA in a straightforward manner we might have gone out of our way to stand up for them. Instead they disrespected this country by flagrantly violating the law, compounded by abuse of services taxpayers cover, compounded with demonstrations demanding that USA relinquish the states of texas, arizona, and california because they claim it was their own once upon a time. They also harbor some delusion that the communist system they prefer at home and can't achieve should be provided by the United States citizens on their own turf. It is their 'right' to demand that as guests in our land.

Seems to me if Mexico can't control or manage it's own we might as well rename the nation mini me america and reconstruct the society they claim is their right in their home town. They don't want a better life. They don't want to assimilate. They don't want to learn. They don't want to adapt. They want to recreate their nightmare on american soil. The reason why their own nations are dysfunctional is because they themselves cannot abide social order rules. Commerce tanks there because government corruption and distorted relationships between labor and mgmt have nothing to do with actual business or governance, and more to do with ideological arguments that have gone on since inception as nation. A people, a nation, are only as strong as their faith in upholding the laws of their land.

The only way up and out for these people is to hammer out a system of governance on their own turf and let them build it there. IMF seed money- When nothing can be built because it's citizens won't allow growth or governance, they are their own enemies and their own perpetual source of poverty. No amount of money can help them, and no asylum on the planet can offer them comfort from what is in their own heads. Legal immigrants go through this learning process willingly, whereas illegal immigrants have avoided the lessons and albeit unintentional, yield strife where there was none. Please see the plight of blacks in America. The only thing illegal immigrants presence in america has accomplished is enabling ubber wealth to pit the bottom classes against one another, and against middle class.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As I have pointed out before loyal and law abiding Hispanic citizens are not the problem. Most illegal aliens (not undocumented, grrr) are Hispanic and that is just a fact Jack. That doesn't mean that we are only against Hispanic illegals we want them all gone no matter who they are. The other problem is Hispanic citizens who advocate for these illegal aliens. I don't see millions of Asian or other ethnic citizens demanding amnesty for their racial group here illegally. Thus, anti-Hispanic sentiment for those here illegally and their ethnocentric aiders and abettors.
Indeed I've questioned that deeply. Where are loyal and law abiding hispanic citizens on this issue, or is it just the 'advocacy group' deciding on it's own like Sharpton claiming to represent all blacks? As a race all latinos are obliged to vote or advocate lockstep? American citizens mean that citizenship comes first, all other secondary categories of race whatever come second. Loyalty to race is unamerican.

What happens if war breaks out between USA and Cuba-- cubans can't serve in military for conflict of interest? That's BS. My german irish pappy had to fight in germany for the USA. HE was an AMERICAN, not beholden to anything else, no confusion. I'm thinking special interest groups have gone way too far. So far that they've unknowingly renounced their own citizenship. I wish they could see that for what it is plainly.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
is being an undocumented alien to difficult concept to grasp. One(alien) without documentation. papers. visas. greencards. documents.

IE: Illegal alien, which is the point

Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,552 times
Quote:
Great post, the usa has been the land of opportunity for centuries, and we owe our continued progress to the constant influx of people, including undocumented, in fact the first undocumented european settlers of the usa were spanish. I was born a us citizen, however, I've never felt entilted to anything ever. I do not fear immigrants because I am a hard
worker and I am ready for any challenges, so far the prevalence of undocumented people in the usa is less than 5% which is low compared to other developed societies.
I am proud of my country because the vast majority of people are civilized, and don't blame others for their own failures. Most of these
radicals that try to undermine hispanic values are part of the underclass, with low education, low skills, many with alcohol or drug addiction, and in general with low political clout.....

You don't fear illegal aliens?

Suspect in Marlborough hit-and-run misses court date - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

BTW: let me correct you:

Illegal aliens are part of the underclass, with low education, low skills, many with alcohol or drug addiction, and all of them have little to no political clout.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
As the anti undocumented crowd become more and more desperate, their remarks become incrasingly more anti-hispanic as if they both were the same, obvioulsly most of these fanatics have lower than average education and culture and can not make a distinction, the problem is that the hispanic population is well aware of the situation and are ready to politically act against the agressors, the politicians are aware of the fact that hispanics are the largest ethnicity in the usa, with over 45 million legal residents plus approximatelly 15 million undocumented, also the fastest growing population group, and since, by now, talk against undocumented irritates hispanics, politicians are going to stay away from that type of talk, in the meantime the hispanic population will continue growing faster than the rest of the population and therefore incrase their political influence......
Wow. That was all one sentence, with 5 misspelled words and no capitalization of words that should be capitalized!

Yet, you assume those you call "fanatics" that belong to an "anti-undocumented crowd" have "lower than average education" (whatever that means — does that mean they do not have at least a high school education?).

Are you a law abiding citizen? Do you think it is important to obey the laws of the land? I would think that you do. Is that a correct assumption?

Entering this country illegally is breaking the law. We have immigration laws, and as a citizen of this country, and a taxpayer, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect and demand that our laws be enforced, and obeyed by those wishing to enter this country.

The problem of illegals coming across the border from Mexico (Mexicans are Hispanics, by the way) grows larger every year. These people commit crimes (robbery, drug trafficking, even murder), they trespass on ranchers property, cause fires, and are increasingly violent, presenting a danger to the land owners on whose property they cross (or "squat", as some may remain on the land for extended periods) and to neighboring farms, ranches, and towns.

They have created such a demand in some areas for emergency services that hospitals have closed their emergency rooms (Los Angeles area, and I'm sure elsewhere).

It is not "hatred" to demand of our lawmakers that this problem be dealt with. It is common sense. We have laws. We want them enforced, and our border secured.

This is not unreasonable; and, it has become a national security issue as well, considering the nature of the world today, with the rampant terrorism that exists and people wishing to do harm to Americans even here on our own soil.

I don't know where you are getting your "facts" from. How can you know how many "undocumented" (illegal) aliens there are, if they are indeed "undocumented"?

By the way, an immigrant is one who is here legally. One who is not, is an "illegal alien". Those are the proper terms in the English language.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Illegal aliens are part of the underclass, with low education, low skills, many with alcohol or drug addiction, and all of them have little to no political clout.
Contrasted by legal immigrants, who might be low educated but mean to improve, might have low skills but are ambitious enough to learn, and even though they also have no actual political clout, they have the full support of most citizens & government who mean to see them succeed and be the best citizens they can right alongside the rest as equals. Follow that dream with our blessings.

Illegal aliens are second class citizens and the American way is not compatible with second class citizens in her midst. Go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration