Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White Folks: Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will in order to combat whi
Yes - I think the increased security is worth the government intrusion 78 54.55%
No - It violates my Constitutional rights 65 45.45%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Born In East L.A. on Yahoo! Video (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2026973/v2168232 - broken link)
Yup. If I were dumped in mexico without any proof of my identity I'd be seriously screwed. How do we sort out whom is whom when illegal activity has gone unabated for far too long?

I intend to see none abused, but all are likely to be inconvenienced for a while to straighten this mess out. We aren't talking about a handful of bad guys slipping through the cracks. We're talking tens of millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
I do not support fascism so I voted no.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,841 times
Default funny you say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
In California they enter your driver's license number into a tracking database when you buy certain types of over-the-counter cold medicine so that you can't start a meth lab. And this is for only one package!

Yep, one time I was cited by a police officer for not having my license on my person. I had to go to the courthouse and show my license to the clerk and pay a fine.
I had a similar experience when I was in college. I was walking from home to school and was asked to show my id, they were looking for someone with a similar look as mine. I had my drivers license and school id on me so it was not a problem, and no I did not think for a minute that my rights were being violated.

In Texas I do not know if they enter info into a database but certain drugs are only kept in the pharmacy and you have to show id to get them and fill out a form. I do not have a problem with that either if it prevents my neighbors from blowing us all to smithereens.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
you can not have a SS number unless you are a US citizen
Yes, you can. Even a tourist can have an SS card.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:43 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now I have to leave the topic and say that there was so little choice against Bush and that elected him both times.

Why old Jon Carry even said that he had often crawled through the weeds to shoot a deer with a shotgun. That told me he knew nothing about hunting but he was carrying a double barreled shotgun, broken down when he made that purely stupid statement. Did Bush nominate Carry?
Shotguns with buckshot and running deer with dogs were standard operating procedure here in S.C. while I was growing up, and continued until it got too crowded here. I killed nearly 100 of them with a shotgun in the 40 years I hunted, and I carried a Charles Daly double for fifteen of those.

What was wrong again?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, you can. Even a tourist can have an SS card.
This is true, but you can't simply walk into a social security office, as an illegal immigrant, and ask for a social security card.

To get one, you either need a visa, or proof of citizenship.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is true, but you can't simply walk into a social security office, as an illegal immigrant, and ask for a social security card.

Does your Social security Card have a picture or any physical description?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Now the precedent will be that you can be detained by police for any and no reason at all except the way you look.
Where did you see that in the bill? What criteria are they using to discern? Name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's truly fascinating to me to look at the poll results and see the same usual suspects who are always decrying "Communism", "too much government involvement", "proud American, support the Constitution", etc. suddenly all fall in line like meek sheep to support fascist policies that truly do cut down the Constitution (so long as it is aimed at non-white people).
What I see as absurd is the silent program running between the lines of like minded arguments that social order and law happens magically among people all by themselves. They respectfully sort out their disputes all by their lonesome selves.

Just think of all the money we've paid these cops, lawyers, judges, legislators, military personnell even prior to the birth of this nation!!!

So what choice is there besides this bill being implemented if people have petitioned the law unrelenting for decades and the law has failed to uphold order? The function of government is to uphold law and order for all, not for illegals to enjoy crime sprees in open society. Our open society has been breached and if you don't come up with a better plan Arizona's will be default.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

You come in with a tourist visa, apply for SS card, and let you visa expire, and then you are an illegal with SS card. Easy.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 PM

438 posts, read 503,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
You mean being detained for the whole two seconds that it would take to whip out my driver's license, social security card, and every other piece of crap ID that I carry around all of the time? Are my "civil rights" violated when I have to produce a driver's license for some thug on the highway looking to impose an indirect tax? Maybe, but that is the "cost" of being an American subject.
People caring about freedom and liberty would oppose being questioned or pulled over for no good reason. It doesn't matter how few seconds it takes, the point is it is a violation of every American's freedom.

Your argument is similar to cops and people saying that people should allow their cars or abode to be searched even without search warrants because after all if people got nothing to hide then why not help the police out.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety -----Ben Franklin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration