Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White Folks: Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will in order to combat whi
Yes - I think the increased security is worth the government intrusion 78 54.55%
No - It violates my Constitutional rights 65 45.45%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:16 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
White Folks: Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will for proof of your legal status?

NO, I don't support the law in Arizona either. Whats next, finding out my religous affiliation and putting my family in a gas chamber? Anyone that supports circumventing our constitution is not American. The left has always tried to re-define the 2nd ammendment, the right has done the same with the 1st until the tea baggers came along. If you are an American citizen that believes in what this country was founded upon then you can't support the law in Arizona.

ps, before anyone from the right cries about what I just wrote remember what you always say about gun rights.

then I guess Homeland Security has violated the constitution and our rights with airport security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This is where your argument fails.
I think any piece of legislature must weigh the ramifications before it's etched in stone. I'm glad people do consider where this road goes, I only wish they'd use facts alone to speculate so that plausible outcomes would be what we're judging. Noodly appendages get in the debate-- people just default to whatever someone else says.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, its not.

I'm using an example. Quit avoiding what I wrote.
Imagine Obama is a secret Muslim...

Catch my drift yet? We can imagine anything we want. What if we're just brains in a jar?

Oh...what you provided was most certainly not an example of anything. It was a ridiculous hypothetical concocted by your brain (which sits motionless in a jar).

Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelosi View Post
There is a huge difference between being screened for weapons at an airport and being stopped by a cop because they felt like it and arrested for leaving your ID in another pair of pants. Please come up with something better than that.
If you are unable to see the correlation between security and economic issues, then the conversation is over.
Bye Bye

Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think any piece of legislature must weigh the ramifications before it's etched in stone. I'm glad people do consider where this road goes, I only wish they'd use facts alone to speculate so that plausible outcomes would be what we're judging. Noodly appendages get in the debate-- people just default to whatever someone else says.
Agree completely.

Imagine that god is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Bow to his noodly appendages.

Ramen

Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM

68 posts, read 36,933 times
Quote:
There is a huge difference between being screened for weapons at an airport and being stopped by a cop because they felt like it and arrested for leaving your ID in another pair of pants. Please come up with something better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
If you are unable to see the correlation between security and economic issues, then the conversation is over.
Bye Bye
I answered your question. It's not credible. If you forgot your ID at an airport YOU GO HOME NOT TO JAIL awaiting deportation..If you can't see that your "point" is illogical than yes, the conversation is over.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedi
"First they came ..." is a famous statement attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. The text expresses, in a condensed form, the understanding of history presented by Niemöller in a January 6, 1946 speech before representatives of the Confessing Church in Frankfurt.[1]

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

While I am against amnesty for illegal aliens and think we need to reinforce the border, I just can't agree with this law. Again the government chipping away at our rights.

There are thousands of Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants in this country. So it's okay to stop them.

Some Hispanics have dark skin but can we be sure if they are Latins or Blacks? So it's okay to stop the Blacks.

Some whites have olive complextions from their Italian heritage. But how can we know? So it's okay to stop them.

One day I might go to the beach and get a tan. But how can we know it's just a tan? So it's okay to stop me.

Nope. Sorry. Find another way and leave me, my tan, my Hispanic, Itlian, Black, and anyone else who isn't lily white friends and fellow citizens alone.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You owe me an irony meter. Sadly, I doubt you even see the irony in your words.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM

68 posts, read 36,933 times
Quote:
You owe me an irony meter. Sadly, I doubt you even see the irony in your words.
Sadly, you haven't made any in sense at any point.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Imagine Obama is a secret Muslim...

Catch my drift yet? We can imagine anything we want. What if we're just brains in a jar?

Oh...what you provided was most certainly not an example of anything. It was a ridiculous hypothetical concocted by your brain (which sits motionless in a jar).
Ugh,

I used an example, of a law that would upset people. Its a decent comparison.

Again,

If a law was passed, allowing officers to pull over anyone who is smoking, to see if they are smoking something illegal, cigarette smokers would be pissed.

ACTUAL LAW NOW

Law enforcement is now allowed, to pull anyone over they suspect is an illegal immigrant. Don't you think legal Hispanics would be pissed about being pulled over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration