Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,048,663 times

Advertisements

GOP: Arizona-Style Immigration Crackdown in California Unlikely - HispanicBusiness.com

Quote:
Conservative Republicans in Sacramento want California to approve a similar crackdown, but they realize it's next to impossible in a Democratic-controlled Legislature.

"California is not Arizona," said Assemblyman Curt Hagman, R-Chino Hills. "I don't think we have the same political climate that's prepared for that. The population's feelings are different from state to state as well."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,565,840 times
I agree...California bears little resemblance to Arizona, and it won't happen here....whether or not it happens there.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,511,676 times
It won't even happen in AZ, is my guess. This is going to get overturned and backfire on AZ badly. Good job AZ, you just shifted the spotlight off illegals and onto your policy, you also just energized the Hispanic voter population which has been historically inactive in AZ...30% of the AZ population are Hispanic.

Epic Fail.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,455,939 times
Best part of the linked article:

"Racial profiling is just a tactic used by pro-open borders people to get the law misinterpreted so people feel it's an oppressive law against a certain people," said Raymond Herrera, founder and president of We The People California's Crusader, a Claremont-based group opposed to illegal immigration. "It's not aimed at Latinos; it's aimed at illegal aliens."

Well I for one as a California native would LOVE if they passed a bill like AZ's.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
The status Que isn't going to work. We either enforce our borders so that we curb this invasion or we change our social service network, modify the 14th and ensure the only residents getting social services are Americans.

Wheretdo the people backing this open border idea think the money is going to come from to support their social service network? Seriously? CA is nearly broke, my County is nearly broke and my City is sure as heck hurting in a big way.

How about people start to pay their own way?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,511,676 times
Cracking down on Employers is the only solution. As long as they hire them, they will come. I don't see why this is so hard to do. Take the hiring managers to jail, fine the CEO, freeze their bank accounts ...charge them as Capital Terrorists.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM

353 posts, read 657,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree...California bears little resemblance to Arizona, and it won't happen here....whether or not it happens there.
As someone with ties to both states I always chuckle when I hear statements like this. For all the differences between the 2 states I've always felt they have many similarities. It's funny how many midwestern transplants in AZ have so many misconceptions about CA and how when I'm in CA my family and friends there think AZ is basically Mississippi in the desert. It's funny how wrong both parties are.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,874,506 times
That might change if Arizona's law is upheld and instituted.You will have Illegals flooding out,with California being the destination for most of these undesirebles.Then you will see Californians take action.Remember there was many who said it wouldn't happen in Arizona,Now Look!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
illegals may flock to CA for protection, but with our high costs of living, i can't imagine them being here for long. we already have a high unemployment rate and a very high number of unskilled foreign workers, there just aren't enough jobs here to support a flood of low income workers. even if you get free social services, you still have an income to feed your family and put a roof over your head. i'm not quite sure we'll see a significant amount of reverse migration back to mexico and central american, but i'm guessing many will move on to other states to the north and the east of AZ rather than to the west. the ramifications of this new law in AZ are quite interesting to ponder: immigration patterns, local economies, potential supreme courts hearings, etc...

Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Best part of the linked article:

"Racial profiling is just a tactic used by pro-open borders people to get the law misinterpreted so people feel it's an oppressive law against a certain people," said Raymond Herrera, founder and president of We The People California's Crusader, a Claremont-based group opposed to illegal immigration. "It's not aimed at Latinos; it's aimed at illegal aliens."

Well I for one as a California native would LOVE if they passed a bill like AZ's.
Ditto for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration