U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,903,115 times
Reputation: 595

Advertisements

shocking, no one even wants to adress my last paragraph... ah, such is life on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: mancos
7,046 posts, read 6,172,198 times
Reputation: 4532
Quote:
Originally Posted by raui View Post
Another stupid republican brings shame to the usa, racial profiling is what the nazis did, but it won't work here....
Americans enforce laws based on a crime being commited period. we do not give exemptions based on race cause thats STUPID!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,042,912 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by raui View Post
Another stupid republican brings shame to the usa, racial profiling is what the nazis did, but it won't work here....
I'm sorry, who is the stupid republican you're referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,903,115 times
Reputation: 595
i agree.... you can't totally blame republicans. There's idiots on the democrat side that support this as well. This is a non-partisan issue. it's more of a cultural issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,042,912 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
i agree.... you can't totally blame republicans. There's idiots on the democrat side that support this as well. This is a non-partisan issue. it's more of a cultural issue.
It's a greed issue from both sides. Lowest labor cost + higher prices = maximum profit. The rich get richer, and the rich control politcians. The American people are left to be pissed of with nothing they can do about it, until we're loud enough that the politicians start to listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,109 posts, read 7,920,707 times
Reputation: 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
No offense Desmond Tutu, you work your side of the ocean and we'll work ours!
Yeh, right. Cause of course AMERICANS would NEVER do anything to innocent people because of something as shallow as the color of their skin or the language they speak....would we?

We would never slaughter thousands of people because we wanted to take over their land. We would never force those we didn't kill into living on the poorest pieces of land in the country that was once their own....would we? We would never take their children and put them in boarding schools where they were forbidden to speak their own language or follow their own customs ... would we?

And we would never buy and sell other human beings as though they were cattle....would we? We would never rape the women, beat the men to death, and take their children from their arms to be sold to other slave owners ...would we? We would never force generations to work their lives away without payment or the right to breathe a breath of free air .....would we? And when the later generations were freed....against our will.... we would never form terrorist organizations to ride around in sheets, burning their homes, beating them, lynching them, refusing them the right to an education, a decent job, or even the right to vote.....would we?

No, Bishop Tutu has nothing to worry about on this side of the ocean. We Americans would NEVER treat people unfairly. We will just label other human beings as "illegals" and then call them "deportees" and if it means taking them from their children and lives they have worked their hands to the bone building .....why...it is their fault for wanting to work at jobs that most of us wouldn't ever take so they can give their children a chance at a better life.. strangely, the same reason that most of our forebearers came to this country to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,056,012 times
Reputation: 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Yeh, right. Cause of course AMERICANS would NEVER do anything to innocent people because of something as shallow as the color of their skin or the language they speak....would we?

We would never slaughter thousands of people because we wanted to take over their land. We would never force those we didn't kill into living on the poorest pieces of land in the country that was once their own....would we? We would never take their children and put them in boarding schools where they were forbidden to speak their own language or follow their own customs ... would we?

And we would never buy and sell other human beings as though they were cattle....would we? We would never rape the women, beat the men to death, and take their children from their arms to be sold to other slave owners ...would we? We would never force generations to work their lives away without payment or the right to breathe a breath of free air .....would we? And when the later generations were freed....against our will.... we would never form terrorist organizations to ride around in sheets, burning their homes, beating them, lynching them, refusing them the right to an education, a decent job, or even the right to vote.....would we?

No, Bishop Tutu has nothing to worry about on this side of the ocean. We Americans would NEVER treat people unfairly. We will just label other human beings as "illegals" and then call them "deportees" and if it means taking them from their children and lives they have worked their hands to the bone building .....why...it is their fault for wanting to work at jobs that most of us wouldn't ever take so they can give their children a chance at a better life.. strangely, the same reason that most of our forebearers came to this country to achieve.
What about all of the other potentially legal immigrants who ALSO have worked their hands to the bone...and are still waiting to enter to U.S. through proper channels? Take your pity party somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,903,115 times
Reputation: 595
What happened in Arizona is easily explainable: The economy took a turn for the worse. The housing crisis hit Arizona particularly hard... this, coupled with the fact that the drug cartels are extensively using the Sonoran desert a their new trafficking place of choice... the people demanded action from their government... understandably so. And their government did exactly what it needed to do to keep it's job...distract people from the real issues... blame it on the most defenselss group of people that everyone doesn't like anyway. (Isn't there a Simpsons episode about this?!) ... instead of doing something totally comprehensive and that had substance.

The people are happy and satisfied... and now we sit back and wait for perceived results.

Looks like history repeats itself again and again, which is what Tutu talks about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_w.e.t.b.a.c.k (type Operation w.e.t.b.a.c.k.... without the periods, CD doesn't let me type it cuz it's a 'racial slur' despite the historical context of it.)
Mexican Repatriation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by joelaldo; 04-30-2010 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 PM
LML
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,109 posts, read 7,920,707 times
Reputation: 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
What happened in Arizona is easily explainable: The economy took a turn for the worse. The housing crisis hit Arizona particularly hard... this, coupled with the fact that the drug cartels are extensively using the Sonoran desert a their new trafficking place of choice... the people demanded action from their government... understandably so. And their government did exactly what it needed to do to keep it's job...distract people from the real issues... blame it on the most defenselss group of people that everyone doesn't like anyway. (Isn't there a Simpsons episode about this?!) ... instead of doing something totally comprehensive and that had substance.

The people are happy and satisfied... and now we sit back and wait for perceived results.

Looks like history repeats itself again and again, which is what Tutu talks about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_w.e.t.b.a.c.k (type Operation w.e.t.b.a.c.k.... without the periods, CD doesn't let me type it cuz it's a 'racial slur' despite the historical context of it.)
Mexican Repatriation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are so totally right on. And I would remind people that when the economy was so bad in Germany, after the first world war, Hitler came to power by blaming the Jews....rather than doing the hard work necessary to fix the economy. And we know how that turned out. And that didn't happen all that long ago and it happened in a country that considered itself very civilized and religious.

I am so frustrated watching people fall for the same old shell game that is always played by those who want power over them. Find a scapegoat and keep people focused on fighting one another rather than demanding the kind of reforms that would truly fix the economy.... but that might cost the fat cats just a bit of their wealth. Better to keep us killing one another rather than seeing who is our real enemy and who is gaining wealth and power at our expense while they keep us distracted by appealing to our ignorance and our baser nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
The comparison of enforcing and expecting people to follow federal immigration law to the beginning of the Apartheid or Nazi Germany is beyond stupid. You people have gone off the deep end.
This is the post of the month.

I'm wondering when they will begin going beyond Nazi Germany to...Armageddon. Mommy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top