Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:03 PM

378 posts, read 424,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Here on Long Island, day laborers aka illegal aliens, are making $125/day cash, plus one or two meals! Cash alone is $625/week off the books or $15.65 per hour

I am a small business owner who does not employ illegals. My lowest paid tradesman earns $800 a week. After taxes (single guy) he takes home a few cents shy of $610/week after taxes on his $20/hour 40 hour week.

It's disgusting to think that there are employers out there who in order to stiff the government, and decrease their payroll exposure, will hire an illegal before they hire their fellow citizen.
That's pretty disgusting, isn't it?!

They become instant criminals when they cross the border and then make more money than some people who are born in America and live here as legal and honest working-class citizens.

Kudos to you for refusing to hire illegals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
You're right - it's a loophole they use.
And yes, IDs are faked all the time.

Yeah, there's a good market for fake IDs and people out there who are good at making them.

Good idea! A Sheriff Joe sweep of employers nationwide!

No way...he stays here!

I think most people, when it comes to the topic of "illegal alien cheap labor", think minimum wage . . . but plenty are making the range you mention . . . it's still not a lot of money but it's not like they're working for slave labor pennies and dollars.
Every place, that I know for sure what they pay, $8.50 is the least they'll start you at. Only problem with that is 1) it really isn't all that much and 2) they never ever give you a raise, no matter how long you work there. It's true that $8.50 hour is more than 'minimum wage' but unless you are VERY frugal and don't really mind not having a life, it's hard to make it. Survive? Yeah. But that's it. I myself, a born and raised native, have never made over $10 hour in this state. Except when I waitressed. For many years I was paid $2.17 hour plus tips so averaged about $13 hour. After the food service minimum went up to $4.65 hour plus tips I averaged about $16 hour. I did very well on that, even working part time. Anyway, every Hispanic co-worker I've ever had, no matter where I worked, made the same as me.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:55 PM

159 posts, read 238,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I'm opposed to illegal immigration. I think the Democratic party's courting of illegals and the applauding of a Mexican ruling elite crook like Calderon is disgusting. Doesn't mean I'm blind however.

If the people of Arizona, indeed the Republican party, were really serious about the problem they would go after the root cause of illegal immigration..THE EMPLOYERS.

Both sides are obviously playing politics. Just like they always do.
But they are going after the employers but you also have to have to go after the illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration