Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
A friend of my parents has a small farm. He has had constant problems with "legal" local labor (US citizens) who show up late for work or don't show up at all. He has hired undocumented workers who show up early to work, every day, and work harder than the local people do. Who would you hire if you were him? He doesn't want to hire the illegals but can't get by without them.
Many illegal aliens do their master's bidding because they are afraid of being deported. Otherwise they don't have any better work ethics than legal citizens do. That is nonsense stereotyping of all Americans. There are unlimited visas for legal foreign workers for farm help so he doesn't have any excuse for hiring illegal aliens. As an American he is obligated to follow the laws of this country. If he finds that so difficult then I suggest he fold up his business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,491 times
I don't miss the illegals one bit. Actually, many of them started to zip out of my little town a couple of years ago. The vibrations were hostile. We do have several legal Mexican families, and one family bought a former white trash haven, and cleaned it up ! Now that's progress ! We did have to get on them about parking too many vehicles on the road, and allowing their dogs to sun themselves in the middle of the street, secure their garbage cans, etc, but things are peaceful there.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,372 times
Oh you all so politically correct American minds....
...let's make something clear ...are you talking about Illegal Immigration or Hispanic Illegal Immigration?

I'm sick and tired of listening how those immigrants are bad and taking resources from American people.
If you call us names...at least be fair and stop this political correctness / BS.

Let me explain you why...

I was illegal in US for over 15 years. I came from Europe, learned English in ESL classes every day after 10 hours shift. Built up my own company and after building client network, I hired few (then more) Americans. I have paid about $40~50k every year in taxes (and I was happy to do so), I have donated $10k every year to charities, because I felt I need to participate somehow...and yes I did great for myself. I had brand new BMW, big house..and all this American Dream elements.

After trying all legal ways finally I gave up. I could just marry to American citizen to get papers but why to cheat and dig deeper hole? I wanted clearly say ...yes I'm here illegal but I want to pay my fines and become someone who legally can stay and someday become citizen.

Most of you write ...hey there is plenty of legal ways to be in US legally.... I will call your bluf....it is big BS....and if you think I'm lying ...try it yourself. Many of my friends apply in US embassies in Europe for various types of visas. No go. If you are young, talented, skilled and speak English... there is slim chance that you will be granted any visa. But if you old and doesn't speak English....you are mostly welcome. Why? In US Embassy officer's eyes those people are not a threat...while exactly those people stay in US taking babysitting / cleaning jobs. Where is logic? there is none. Why they allow people who will not pay taxes and not assimilate vs. people who want to built this country even better? Don't ask me ...ask your government who welcomes cheap uneducated labor force.

What is even more interesting.... did you even hear about US citizens who doesn't speak English? Please tell me how this is possible. I personally met at least dozen of legal immigrants that took their Oath of Allegiance by memorizing it word by word, because their English is limited to YES, NO, COCA-COLA.

Why government allows to award people like that citizenship while they don't have any means to assimilate? I know specific cases when people after spending 20-30 years in US barely speak English.
What is even more interesting....there is a large number of those people moving back to homeland, leaving US because (as they say)..they have a hard time to integrate.
For Christ sakes....HARD TIME? US offers FREE ESL classes (been there, done that). If you can't make it in US you can't make it anywhere...but those kind of people just look for excuses, ...and that's your new uneducated barely English speaking citizens.

During my years in US, I've barely seen my family from EU. After my mother died I faced the choice of staying in US or leaving to attend her funeral without option to came back.
It was no brainier for me. Since US doesn't want me here, doesn't provide any legal way to participate in growing this country better...I decided to leave.
With big regret ...I was forced to fire all my employees (about 25 people ..all Americans), ..I was liquidating all assets / real estate at discount value (thanks to US banks by the way) which I guess...lowered the value of the neighbor's properties. I took all my family, said bye to my friends and moved back overseas.

I have my pride, I know what I'm worth. I didn't moved to US for economic reasons because I came from relatively rich country...so I will not allow to some people place me in the same line with those illegal immigrants who are the problem in us. And just looking by the ratio you exactly know that problem in US is with Hispanic illegal immigration. I have many Hispanic friends in US (some very talented guys)....but let's face it.... vast majority of those illegal immigrants are not those Hispanics.

I'm not a racist ...I don't discriminate....I call facts.
I'm fed up with bull**** of political correctness and lack of logic.

Fixing illegal immigration is simple as upgrading to better version of ID / Driver license with immigration status embedded in card data. People swipe credit cards every day...let them swipe one card more, when they go to doctor, renew driver license, apply for job, loan or open account. One swipe will tell if you are tourist, citizen, just staying on working / school visa or plain illegal.

Hard? ...yes it is if you are used to cheap labor, and black market jobs. But you can't have it both ways.
If you really want your country to prosper, you need to fix legal way for legal immigrants, and grow some balls to face illegal immigrants which don't participate in growth of US.

Last edited by $ocrates; 06-01-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ocrates View Post
...let's make something clear ...are you talking about Illegal Immigration or Hispanic Illegal Immigration?

I'm sick and tired of listening how those immigrants are bad and taking resources from American people.
If you call us names...at least be fair and stop this political correctness / BS.

I was illegal in US for over 15 years. I came from Europe, learned English in ESL classes every day after 10 hours shift. Built up my own company and after building client network, I hired few (then more) Americans. I have paid about $40~50k every year in taxes (and I was happy to do so), I have donated $10k every year to charities, because I felt I need to participate somehow...and yes I did great for myself. I had brand new BMW, big house..and all this American Dream elements.

After trying all legal ways finally I gave up. I could just marry to American citizen to get papers but why to cheat and dig deeper hole? I wanted clearly say ...yes I'm here illegal but I want to pay my fines and become someone who legally can stay and someday become citizen.

Most of you write ...hey there is plenty of legal ways to be in US legally.... I will call your bluf....it is big BS....and if you think I'm lying ...try it yourself. Many of my friends apply in US embassies in Europe for various types of visas. No go. If you are young, talented, skilled and speak English... there is slim chance that you will be granted any visa. But if you old and doesn't speak English....you are mostly welcome. Why? In US Embassy officer's eyes those people are not a threat...while exactly those people stay in US taking babysitting / cleaning jobs. Where is logic? there is none. Why they allow people who will not pay taxes and not assimilate vs. people who want to built this country even better? Don't ask me ...ask your government who welcomes cheap uneducated labor force.

What is even more interesting.... did you even hear about US citizens who doesn't speak English? Please tell me how this is possible. I personally met at least dozen of legal immigrants that took their Oath of Allegiance by memorizing it word by word, because their English is limited to YES, NO, COCA-COLA.

Why government allows to award people like that citizenship while they don't have any means to assimilate? I know specific cases when people after spending 20-30 years in US barely speak English.
What is even more interesting....there is a large number of those people moving back to homeland, leaving US because (as they say)..they have a hard time to integrate.
For Christ sakes....HARD TIME? US offers FREE ESL classes (been there, done that). If you can't make it in US you can't make it anywhere...but those kind of people just look for excuses, ...and that's your new uneducated barely English speaking citizens.

During my years in US, I've barely seen my family from EU. After my mother died I faced the choice of staying in US or leaving to attend her funeral without option to came back.
It was no brainier for me. Since US doesn't want me here, doesn't provide any legal way to participate in growing this country better...I decided to leave.
With big regret ...I was forced to fire all my employees (about 25 people ..all Americans), ..I was liquidating all assets / real estate at discount value (thanks to US banks by the way) which I guess...lowered the value of the neighbor's properties. I took all my family, said bye to my friends and moved back overseas.

I have my pride, I know what I'm worth. I didn't moved to US for economic reasons because I came from relatively rich country...so I will not allow to some people place me in the same line with those illegal immigrants who are the problem in us. And just looking by the ratio you exactly know that problem in US is with Hispanic illegal immigration. I have many Hispanic friends in US (some very talented guys)....but let's face it.... vast majority of those illegal immigrants are not those Hispanics.

Fixing illegal immigration is simple as upgrading to better version of ID / Driver license with immigration status embedded in card data. People swipe credit cards every day...let them swipe one card more, when they go to doctor, renew driver license, apply for loan or open account. One swipe will tell if you are tourist, citizen, just staying on working / school visa or plain illegal.

Hard? ...yes it is if you are used to cheap labor, and black market jobs. But you can't have it both ways.
If you really want your country to prosper, you need to fix legal way for legal immigrants, and grow some balls to face illegal immigrants which don't participate in growth of US.
Your anger is being directed at the American people, why? We have no voice in immigration matters. Most regular Americans want limited legal immigration and no illegal immigration. We do want our immigration laws enforced and our borders secured. Our government doesn't seem to want any of that. We have millions of unemployed Americans right now and are being taxed to hell and back to cover the social costs of uncontrolled illegal immigration. You're barking up the wrong tree here.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Your anger is being directed at the American people, why? We have no voice in immigration matters. Most regular Americans want limited legal immigration and no illegal immigration. We do want our immigration laws enforced and our borders secured. Our government doesn't seem to want any of that. We have millions of unemployed Americans right now and are being taxed to hell and back to cover the social costs of uncontrolled illegal immigration. You're barking up the wrong tree here.
Let me correct you....not American people, .... some American people.
I'm not used to generalize my target, as those addressed people do, by portraying every illegal immigrant as parasite.

My disappointment (not anger) is directed towards hypocritical BS, political correctness and lack of logical thinking in this great country.

As fas as barking up on the wrong tree....take in consideration that every tree has many branches, and to heal the tree, some branches need to be taken care of.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times

YouTube - I Love Lucy - California Here I Come

Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:

Fixing illegal immigration is simple as upgrading to better version of ID / Driver license with immigration status embedded in card data. People swipe credit cards every day...let them swipe one card more, when they go to doctor, renew driver license, apply for job, loan or open account. One swipe will tell if you are tourist, citizen, just staying on working / school visa or plain illegal.

"Want" is not a good enough reason to let every person on the planet live here in the US. I think you created your own problems by creating a business. If you had a sponsor you could have done it right. I know, we hire lots of legal Immigrants.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
No, that essay addresses the problems with Title 1 schools, which New Mexico is filled with ( and these are not poor illegal immigrants having kids they cannot afford ) , and all of which drain monetary resources from education with poor outcomes.

Access the APS website sometime and compare Title 1 schools with test scores and graduation rates.

Title 1 was one criteria we used in eliminating possible schools for our son to attend.
If you get the flood of Illegals from AZ you can write off ALL Public schools just as we have to do here in S Cal. I have schools within blocks of my house I'd be crazy to have my kid attend as the makeup is ESL kids bused in from near the border. Their Parents don't speak English, don't attend anything related to the school and seem to treat the free meals and after hours Y as a way to have someone else raise their kids.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
They came to the US to have better lives.
Just like OUR relatives did in the past.
I do not remember OUR relatives, asking the Native Americans for permission to settle here?
My guess is, if the illegals were all Swedes or German's.
You wouldn't have heard a peep out of Arizona.........................................

Steve
Wait until they get the schools and ERs packed, the social service siphoning machine going and let's see how warmly they are accepted. You are very lucky to live in a place they don't affect you.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Let me correct you....not American people, .... some American people.
I'm not used to generalize my target, as those addressed people do, by portraying every illegal immigrant as parasite.

My disappointment (not anger) is directed towards hypocritical BS, political correctness and lack of logical thinking in this great country.

As fas as barking up on the wrong tree....take in consideration that every tree has many branches, and to heal the tree, some branches need to be taken care of.
It is interesting to note that most if not all pro-illegals dwell on the racists on the anti-illegal immigration side to make their points though, isn't it? Very odd when the majority of Americans who oppose illegal immigration are not racists. So, the hypocricy is pretty apparent on the pro-illegal side, isn't it? PC and lack of logical thinking by far too many is what is ruining this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration