Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 AM

562 posts, read 989,665 times

Advertisements

Not a popular choice here at all. Western Illinois University, Knox College and Monmouth College are probably the top three followed by (in no particular order) Bradley, SIU/SIUe and ISU.

Note: "here" actually refers to my hometown, Galesburg, not Peoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Not a popular choice here at all. Western Illinois University, Knox College and Monmouth College are probably the top three followed by (in no particular order) Bradley, SIU/SIUe and ISU.

Note: "here" actually refers to my hometown, Galesburg, not Peoria.
i'm surprised that NIU wasn't on the list, considering the distance isn't bad (certainly not for students in Peoria). Can I surmise that NIU is seen as being "too Chicago" (a bit of a stretch, but DeKalb is somewhat of a Chicagoland extension and will, in time, be part of the area).?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Much of where downstate students go to post elementary school depends upon several factors including distance, finance, students goal, school reputation and courses offered. There is also an invisible dividing line called politics and religion. There is also a divide between the northern half of the state and the southern half. The ultra conservative religious parent is not going to send the kid to a party school.

The ultra-conservative family in Peoria with an average kid will more likely chose Peoria, Eureka, Bloomington or possibly Quincy over Normal, Champaign, Macomb or Springfield. A parent with a seriously committed student may make entirely different choices. The farming family may also make different choices based on needs and the child's dream.

Farming is a family affair. A friend's grandson, from a small child, never wanted to do anything except farm. She inherited a section of land that he helped farm as soon as he was old enough to run a tractor and all through high school. His choice of continuing education was math/mechanics. He graduated with honors and was gifted with a tractor and 640 acres.

As far as I can see the only connections between Chicago and downstate is Springfield and Champaign.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM

562 posts, read 989,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i'm surprised that NIU wasn't on the list, considering the distance isn't bad (certainly not for students in Peoria). Can I surmise that NIU is seen as being "too Chicago" (a bit of a stretch, but DeKalb is somewhat of a Chicagoland extension and will, in time, be part of the area).?
I can't 100% answer your question but I don't think kids skip it because its "too Chicago", although there is a very negative perception of the DeKalb area as being unsafe. I don't know, I have never really spent any time there. In my graduating class of about 300 I only know 2 kids that ended up going to NIU. Distance wise its about the same as UIUC, must be a preference things. I must emphasize how overwhelmingly people choose Western, many kids from Knox county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois