Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times

Advertisements

The House celebration may be short. The boys in the playpen down in Springfield have 9 days to get it together. If they fail to pass the bill and get a signature at 12:01 am on June 10th federal law takes effect. All state and local laws will be null and void. .

Gun bill gets overwhelming support in Illinois House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 AM

978 posts, read 2,055,187 times
Illinois needs concealed carry. I hate driving through there because of a lack of concealed carry.

However, I bet the Chicago machine will make it extremely limited.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Pension reform is so much more important and impactful than this bill...

Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM

As you don't live in our state the obvious answer is to avoid Illinois. Factually, and as it already been tested in federal courts, if the boys club can't agree all bets are off. Only federal law will prevail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Illinois needs concealed carry. I hate driving through there because of a lack of concealed carry.

However, I bet the Chicago machine will make it extremely limited.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 PM

This is true. They're currently trying to force it on downstate. The problem is downstate didn't make the deal with CPS teacher unions. The boyz club - most of whom represent Cook County and Chicago - made the deal. They need to pay for it. There is no reasonable explanation as to why one-third of the population should shoulder a pension problem Made in Chicago/Cook County to serve two-thirds of the state population who live there an enjoy those benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Pension reform is so much more important and impactful than this bill...

Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
I hope it happens for you guys. 49 states have done it and I cannot recall a shootout amongst CC holders in any of those 49 states. Why IL has been so opposed to it for so long is a mystery. Of course, I read Quinn's comments about public safety, yada, yada, yada. If that's the case, why has it worked in 49 other states? Is he saying that IL citizens aren't trustworthy?

I hope it passes and when it does and there are no changes in crime, maybe the attitude in Crook County will change towards guns.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I hope it happens for you guys. 49 states have done it and I cannot recall a shootout amongst CC holders in any of those 49 states. Why IL has been so opposed to it for so long is a mystery. Of course, I read Quinn's comments about public safety, yada, yada, yada. If that's the case, why has it worked in 49 other states? Is he saying that IL citizens aren't trustworthy?

I hope it passes and when it does and there are no changes in crime, maybe the attitude in Crook County will change towards guns.
As a citizen of Illinois, I don't think concealed carry is necessary. Most of the people that concern themselves with concealed carry live in perfectly safe places in which a concealed weapon is completely superfluous anyhow. If you aren't a resident of Cook county, who are you to say what our attitudes are and aren't towards guns? Gun violence has made a lasting negative impact on the city of Chicago. My instinct tells me concealed will have no positive or meaningful impact in this regard. Honestly, this insignificant issue should be put to a vote to let the citizens of Illinois decide what is best for our state. We have much more important and impactful things with which our legislature should be concerning itself.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 PM

The Opinion handed down by the Federal Court is the most compelling issue at hand. The legislators have four business days to agree and get it signed before Federal Law is the law of the land in the Lower 48! Everyone in Illinois will be bound by the same law.

I don't think it is possible to get a balanced opinion from residents of Illinois because of the population distribution. But I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

I have friends who have CC for years regardless of laws or where they lived. These were responsible gun owners. Most were former military, big game hunters and guides. I worry more about the dummies who think it is okay for little kids to play with loaded guns than I do the guy who made his living as a guide in Alaska. I've been around guns all my life. I don't care one way or the other about the CC law.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
These were responsible gun owners. Most were former military, big game hunters and guides. I worry more about the dummies who think it is okay for little kids to play with loaded guns than I do the guy who made his living as a guide in Alaska. I've been around guns all my life. I don't care one way or the other about the CC law.
But that's the thing that most people don't realize: those who get a CC permit are responsible and law abiding gun owners a great majority of the time.

It's not about reducing crime, it's about self defense and IL residents should have that right, too. It won't even have any effect on crime but I'm sure the media will spin it whichever way their handler wants them to.

BTW, I was a Cook County resident for nearly 30 years so I'm well aware of the anti-gun attitude. It's not by everyone, probably more of a Chicago thing due to the gun violence in the city.

But those gang bangers, they're nothing but cowards. It's only a coward who will do drive by's, shoot children, women and unarmed people. So why deny a law abiding citizen the ability to defend himself because of some cowards?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 AM

i grew up with guns in the house. I've been to collectors shows. I've fired many. I think the original Colt .44 Peacemaker is the prettiest gun I ever handled. They are all killing machines. CC or not, I personally don't see how a single 12 round clip is any defense against a 100 round semi-auto.

The problem isn't cowardice. The problem is the courts. What we are doing is not working. The little thugs need to be rounded up and sent to Afganistan, Greenland, South Korean, to boot camp and a 3 year tour. We'll see how fast the little piggys squeal. By the time it's argued in the courts and SCOTUS hands down an opinion they will all be back home, and their little brothers will be doing a tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois