Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM

219 posts, read 455,665 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.. I'm going to be passing through Peoria soon.. and would like some input on the local Italian/Pizza resturants. Not looking for national chains like Pizza Hut or Papa John's so please don't write those... THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,765 times
Unfortunately, I think you will find mostly chains in Peoria. There aren't a huge amount of noteworthy local places. If you are really dead set on one, check out Agatucci's Restaurant. Alternatively, you could try Kaydee Kats. It's a newer place that opened up and has some interesting pizzas.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your time in P-Town

(I grew up in and live in Peoria)

Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Food is subjective. Agatucci has been in Peoria for over 80 years, I started going with my parents 65 years ago. I liked the food, but when I started to drive I was not a fan of the parking and I moved on. My two favorite places in Peoria are Avanti's Ristorante and Davis Bros. Pizza. Both have been in business 50-60 years.

The following information is to give you a sense of direction in Peoria. The river is always to the ENE of Peoria.

I like Avanti's for 3 reasons: The food and service is good, the Cheese Soup is excellent, and you can get a good meal for under $10 without drinks (no liquor) or tip. The Gondola and garlic toast is wildly popular. I like the ravioli and lasagna. The Spaghetti is good too. I don't know if you find pizza here or not.

Avanti's is located at 4711 N.Rockwood (parallel to N.Sterling Avenue) which is not too far south of the W.Glen Avenue and N.Sterling Avenue intersection.

You can access Rockwood at the Westlake Shopping Center or a the stoplight at Northwoods Mall. Rockwood is 1 block West of Sterling Avenue. Do not confuse Westlake and W. Lake that is an E-W street between N. University and N. Prospect. The Westlake Shopping Center faces N. Rockwood.

Davis Bros. Pizza was started by brothers Gene and Ray Davis in East Peoria in the 1940s. I had my first bite in 1950 and I've been a fan since. The specialty is a thin crust that is not lump of dough in your mouth. The most popular pizza is the Supreme: sausage, onions, green pepper and mushrooms. There are other items too such as pepperoni, black olives, hot peppers. You can get any combination of topings on the menu. It is a full bar pizza parlor.

Davis Bros. Pizza is located in the small shopping center (Glen Plaza) directly behind the Walgreen's (Drug Store) on the corner of W.Glen Avenue and N.Sheridan Road. The only access to Glen Plaza is off Sheridan 1/4 block. Open 11 to 11 except on Sunday: Noon to 9pm.

The other pizza is from Peoria Pizza Works on N. Prospect in Peoria Heights. It's as old as the others and also has a full bar. It's very nice. I've been there a dozen times but never ate there. The location is about two blocks north of War Memorial on the west side of the street.

Here's a couple other things to check out while your in the neighborhood. Trefzger's Bakery has been in Peoria over 100 years. It's famous for the breakfast roll (22 flavors) that fills and 8x10 box. If you ask to have it bagged and boxed it will keep in the freezer for several weeks. If your partner likes chocolate it is 'do not miss' breakfast treat.

North of Peoria Pizza Works is Grandview Drive. It's in the bluff that overlooks the river valley. If you like scenery, it is very pretty in the fall. The colors are nice this year.

If you are in Peoria during the week Alwan Brothers Meat Market serves $2.00 sandwiches such as Brats or Dogs made on premises for lunch only M-F. It's located on War Memorial not very far west of N. Prospect.

War Memorial (US 150) crosses the Illinois River and enters into Peoria Heights, continues WNW across the city to exit Peoria at the intersection of W.Glen and N.Sterling.

If you are coming into Peoria, I-74 joins I-55 near Bloomington. Stay on !-74 and take the University Street Exit and turn the right (North). You will cross War Memorial. The third stoplight is Glen. Turn left to go N.Sterling and N.Rockwood. Turn right to go to N.Sheridan or N.Prospect.

1-474 bypasses Peoria. IL 51/I-39 does not come into Peoria. It goes into Normal and crosses US 136 in Tazewell or Mason County.

Glen Avenue is a E-W Street between N.Sterling and N. Prospect. At the most western end it intersects with War Memorial which becomes US 150 as it continues NNW and enters Iowa. W. Glen becomes N. Sterling once War Memorial Drive is crossed over.

Peoria is a challenge for first time visitors because it sprawls NE/SW but it built out NSEW. University is main N/S street that connects Main Street to Pioneer Parkway approximately 10 miles north. Glen and War Memorial are the main E/W streets that connect N.University and N. Prospect. Forest Hill, two light south of War Memorial is the street (less traffic) that connects N. Sterling and N. Prospect.

Do be aware of these Illinois laws:

Scott's Law. On a 4 lane road Do NOT pass any parked emergent vehicle on the lane next to the parked vehicle. EVER! It can be very expensive.

It is illegal to drive and text or email on any device. If it is that urgent, stop driving.
It is illegal to drive and talk on your cell phone in construction zones.
It is illegal to drive and talk in a school zone unless it is 911.
It is illegal to drive and talk ff you are age 19 or under at any time.

Don't speed! Don't drive and drink. Wear your seat belt. Observe all Illinois road signs.

Do not smoke within 15 feet of any public building. No smoking allowed in any building.

If you are CC make sure you have a valid license to carry in your wallet or purse.

These are the laws. They are not $50 fines. You will appear in an Illinois Court.

Be safe. We hope you enjoy your visit. If you have questions ask.

Last edited by linicx; 11-06-2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM

In addition to what I mentioned, I'd forgotten about Leonardo's on War Memorial Drive. There are also 8 national pizza sellers, and 10 others that are newer. Apparently Peorianscan buy pizza at 23 locations, It could be worse.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In addition to what I mentioned, I'd forgotten about Leonardo's on War Memorial Drive. There are also 8 national pizza sellers, and 10 others that are newer. Apparently Peorianscan buy pizza at 23 locations, It could be worse.
Do they have a website? I tried to Google something about Leonardo's and nothing comes up, I have heard of that place though from someone who is from Peoria, they said it was the best in town.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 PM

The "best in town" is subjective because when it comes to pizza it is all about spices and crust, and how it is cut. Some pizza is big slices, while some are not. The reason I like Davis Bros., is because it is mild. The generous topping is what makes this pizza, plus the sausage is crumbled and not very greasy, it is cut into smaller pieces which makes it easier to manage - especially if you have children. The hot stuff is on the table. The made to order pizza is fresh from the secret recipe dough, to the hand tossed thin crust when it is delivered to the table. The Davis Bros., did the same thing the same way more than 60 years ago.

Pizza is one of Peoria's best kept secrets.

I called Leonardo's. It now part of the La Gondola Spaghetti House family. There are five in the Peoria area.
Italian Family Restaurant, Central Illinois, 14 Locations, Spaghetti, Sandwiches, Homemade Bread
Agatucci's Official Website - Frozen Pizza Now Available
Welcome To Peoria Pizza Works!
"The Original" Davis Bros. Pizza Peoria Pizza, Pizza East Peoria Pizza - Welcome to The Original Davis Brothers Pizza
Menu | Avanti's Peoria
People from Chicago that eat this Pizza say it is Chicago!
IL - Peoria - Grand Prairie
Some like it HOT: Firehouse Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
Do they have a website? I tried to Google something about Leonardo's and nothing comes up, I have heard of that place though from someone who is from Peoria, they said it was the best in town.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The "best in town" is subjective because when it comes to pizza it is all about spices and crust, and how it is cut. Some pizza is big slices, while some are not. The reason I like Davis Bros., is because it is mild. The generous topping is what makes this pizza, plus the sausage is crumbled and not very greasy, it is cut into smaller pieces which makes it easier to manage - especially if you have children. The hot stuff is on the table. The made to order pizza is fresh from the secret recipe dough, to the hand tossed thin crust when it is delivered to the table. The Davis Bros., did the same thing the same way more than 60 years ago.

Pizza is one of Peoria's best kept secrets.

I called Leonardo's. It now part of the La Gondola Spaghetti House family. There are five in the Peoria area.
Italian Family Restaurant, Central Illinois, 14 Locations, Spaghetti, Sandwiches, Homemade Bread
Agatucci's Official Website - Frozen Pizza Now Available
Welcome To Peoria Pizza Works!
"The Original" Davis Bros. Pizza Peoria Pizza, Pizza East Peoria Pizza - Welcome to The Original Davis Brothers Pizza
Menu | Avanti's Peoria
People from Chicago that eat this Pizza say it is Chicago!
IL - Peoria - Grand Prairie
Some like it HOT: Firehouse Pizza
Oh wow! you sure did your research! HAHA! Thanks so much! this is wonderful..

Old 11-08-2013, 04:42 PM

I think I counted 23 restaurants/bars or bars/food that serve pizza. Back in the ice age when you wanted pizza you headed to the neighborhood bar. If you weren't old enough to drink you ordered a Coke from the bartender as you walked through to a separate room where minors were allowed. You couldn't drink with the big boys until you were 21.

I've had a home here for 70 years, so it isn't very difficult for me to find pizza in Peoria. BTW, Butch's Pizza in Morton is good too, but it isn't Davis Bros. Pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
Oh wow! you sure did your research! HAHA! Thanks so much! this is wonderful..

Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
I am pretty sure that Leonardo's Pizza on War Memorial Drive, has closed.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Monical's is a chain, but it's regional to east and central IL with a handful across the border in Indiana. I'd give them a whirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois