Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 21,056 times

Advertisements

I am strongly considering on moving to Rockford, IL due to a job transfer. However, I am having second thoughts after conducting research on the city. Please be mindful that I am currently living in the Washington, DC area but I was raised in the city of Chicago. After reading up on the dynamics and demographics of the Rockford area I feel as though the quality of life wouldn't suit me very well. As I am a young African American woman and single. I have heard a lot of negative things about the area, I am honestly looking for someone to provide me with any positive/unbiased facts about the city. I would really like to give this area a chance.

Are there any African American or well diverse communities that anyone can recommend for housing/rentals ($700-$1200/month)?
How is the night life for young professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 37,723 times
Hello,

I am a young professional (23 years old) who grew up in the Chicagoland area and lived in the city of Rockford for 2 years. I rented in both the Hampton Meadows and Terra Creek Apartments (I would highly recommend the latter). In my experience there, I found most areas of the city to be quite safe, and I personally never had any issues with crime. There are opportunities to meet professionals in the area as well as some decent restaurants downtown and in the far east sections of the city. I'm very familiar with Northern Illinois in general, and I found that certain neighborhoods within the city limits are as nice as any neighborhood you will find in the rest of the state.

However, please keep in mind that there are very dangerous sections of the city high in poverty and crime. These areas are mostly in the far south and west sections of the city. I also found that there tended to be a very negative vibe throughout the entire community. If you are moving to the area permanently and plan on raising a family there, I would highly recommend going for Loves Park, Machesney Park, Roscoe, or Rockton as these areas have much better schools than those in the Rockford city limits.

Life is what you make of it, and in my opinion, a very high quality of life can be had in Rockford or in the surrounding communities. It will just take a little research and creativity. I hope this helps in your decision.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 21,056 times
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it

Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Stay on the east side of the Rock River, as it is the best neighborhood. I drove on the west side and it looks pretty beat up and run down and this is probably where the bad part is. the river walk is real nice though!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 PM

There are some areas east of the Rock River (mostly towards the south end of the city) that are quite unsafe and blighted. There are also very nice, established neighborhoods near or west of the Rock River (mostly towards the north end of the city). If you are looking at living within Rockford city limits, I would say that anywhere between Mulford Road and I-90 would be a safe bet.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Also worth noting for the OP is that the cost of living in Rockford, IL should be far, far less than living in Washington, DC. 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartments in the better areas of the city cost anywhere between $850-$1000. Gas prices are at or below the national averages, and I found food costs to be much lower than living in the Chicagoland area.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 AM

23 posts, read 46,786 times
What's Haight Village like?

Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd52 View Post
What's Haight Village like?
Haight Village Historic District: You can buy a big historic house for cheap. Of course it's in the middle of a crime ridden and dangerous neighborhood. And if that isn't exciting enough for you, it's in easy walking distance:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Haig...3!2d42.2669123

to the 5th most dangerous neighborhood in the United States. Almost as dangerous as downtown East Saint Louis:

- The Washington Post

Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 9,009 times
You sound educated and kind. Rockford could use a good person like you! Rockford definitely has a PR problem. And it's citizens perpetuate the negative vibe. There has been a movement to "Transform Rockford" and I sincerely hope this happens. The Park District is top notch and there is an amazing children's museum which has been recognized at a national level. I grew up there and will always have a love for the city. All of my family lives there and I hope to convince my husband to move back one day.

According to my brother, who is a musician, there is an amazing music scene. There are also many really interesting and delicious non chain restaurants. And I've never had better thin crust pizza than what I've had in Rockford. And I lived in the city of Chicago for 11 years...so that's saying something!!!

Give Rockford a shot!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
I've always thought Rockford is very underrated.m I think it's close proximity to Chicago makes the locals overly judgmental about what their hometown doesn't have...instead on focusing what it does have. The downtown has shown slow yet steady improvement over the years and I too have been pleasantly surprised by the food options there. I've had great sushi, Italian Indian and even Burmese there. And Chicago is an easy weekend or even long day trip away not with a fraction the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois