Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
so glad I bought in Miller Beach 4 years ago...home has doubled in value. Taxes are a fraction of Crook County..
Spent a lot of time at the beaches over there in my younger daze.

That's a cool area, but not a good fit for me since I have kids (need good schools). Any good private schools in that area?

Old 12-21-2018, 06:00 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Alfalfa, are you a member of the hate illinois club

Old 12-21-2018, 07:47 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Spent a lot of time at the beaches over there in my younger daze.

That's a cool area, but not a good fit for me since I have kids (need good schools). Any good private schools in that area?
I know people that send their kids to chesterton schools...think there is a way to do that legally for a fee. No kids here....i know one hippie family with 5 kids that homeschool in miller.

Chesterton has some of the best schools in Indiana...they just won the state soccer title and compete for swimming state titles yearly. Chesterton kids are blessed with the greatest beaches waves hiking nature of ALL Chicago suburbs...not surprising they excel in athletics.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Quote:
so glad I bought in Miller Beach 4 years ago...home has doubled in value. Taxes are a fraction of Crook County..
You moved from IL to Gary, IN? Sounds like you doubled your mistake...enjoy the smoke stack skyline!

I've been saying for years that Chicago will be fine. Amazing, exciting, world class city that can only really be compared to NY, Boston and DC. In fact the main areas of the city are booming and job / income growth is crazy. But most of growth is robbing from Peter to pay Paul as downstate/suburb IL companies are simply moving headquarters to downtown Chicago. The rest of IL will not fare well...and if you do decide to move out and leave family/friends behind I have no idea why you would move from one flat state with no mountains, lakes or natural beauty to another.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:44 PM

17,357 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
You moved from IL to Gary, IN? Sounds like you doubled your mistake...enjoy the smoke stack skyline!

I've been saying for years that Chicago will be fine. Amazing, exciting, world class city that can only really be compared to NY, Boston and DC. In fact the main areas of the city are booming and job / income growth is crazy. But most of growth is robbing from Peter to pay Paul as downstate/suburb IL companies are simply moving headquarters to downtown Chicago. The rest of IL will not fare well...and if you do decide to move out and leave family/friends behind I have no idea why you would move from one flat state with no mountains, lakes or natural beauty to another.
Yep - someone moving from lake-less Illinois to lake-less Miller Beach is a real head scratcher right there ...

Old 12-21-2018, 08:56 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

r.
Actually I moved back to Chicagoland after 20 years in Asia....grew up on the North Shore...greatly prefer the South Shore.

Look at a map of municipal bpundaries of Chicagoland municipalities and you will see how large Gary is...

Home values in Miller Beach are way up...new construction is ongoing including large lakefront homes...land prices are way way up.

Scoff as much as you would like....Im usually way ahead if the curve in terms of real estate...get back to me in 10 years and think your attitude will change.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:58 PM

17,357 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Actually I moved back to Chicagoland after 20 years in Asia....grew up on the North Shore...greatly prefer the South Shore.

Look at a map of municipal bpundaries of Chicagoland municipalities and you will see how large Gary is...

Home values in Miller Beach are way up...new construction is ongoing including large lakefront homes...land prices are way way up.

Scoff as much as you would like....Im usually way ahead if the curve in terms of real estate...get back to me in 10 years and think your attitude will change.
Double tracking of the South Shore is going to massively increase home values in that whole area.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I love Illinois with all my heart, and would never intentionally move away. I've been known to become defensive about Illinois. However, I think that people from outside of the state do not understand how dire the situation is (even a lot of the stooges that comprise the voter base). These threads that pop up frequently mirror the conversations that Illinoisans are having with their neighbors, representatives, and the articles appearing in our newspapers.
My point wasn't Trump. I just see sooooo many threads by a couple posters Pro-Trump mocking Dems in the Political forums (yes some mocking Trump too) that keep using links from extremist sights. Each from especially one poster is just to totally bash democrats. No where to go but down.

I just see a similar pattern in one thread maker in the Illinois and Chicago forum. New thread different link.... same thing negative and no redeeming quality but to fail..... Not about Trump no.

I love Chicago a second-hometown. My favorite Big City I lived 6-years early 80s. Endears till today.....

But yes... I should not be replying in the Illinois Forum.....

Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The exodus is catching. People read the headlines and they think "I have to leave too, quick!". Nothing cataclysmic will happen. It will be bailed together with string and bailing wire, and we will limp along. There is no there there. In time, Chicago will rise again and people will realize its a desirable place to live. yes, we will have high taxes but so do other large cities like NYC and LA plus their housing prices are higher. Some people will see their move is stupid and will move back. If all you want is to stay at home and watch Netflix and go to chain restaurants, you can live anywhere. Me, I'll stay put and go down with the ship which really, won't go down.
I waiver between your theory and the ship is sinking theory for Illinois. I think as long as business in Chicago doesn't leave and Chicago remains a desirable city, Illini will survive just fine.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:02 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Illinois and Chicago are really two separate questions. Chicago is in the top 10 worldwide for GDP. I look outside and I see endless cranes building and filling high rises and every month there's news about a new major corporation adding jobs downtown (Facebook, Salesforce, McDonalds, etc.) Chicago will be fine and all the people moving to NWI to commute to Chicago is proof it will be fine. I don't know if Chicago can prop up all of Illinois though (acknowledging Chicago has its own serious debts).

This thread is really about the Rockford, Springfield, Peoria, Champaign, Bloomington/Normals of the world that have suffered serious population / job loss. Outside of Chicago...IL is not an attractive state both geographically and fiscally. I expect the exodus downstate to continue and in the next couple of years the general decline to accelerate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois