Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,528,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
I was a fence sitter on some of this stuff until a few weeks ago when I was in Jewel, and I can not make this up.. The couple in front of me wreaked of pot, bought a better selection of food than me, whipped out their SNAP card and then complained to the cashier that if the rich would pay more taxes that maybe their monthly amount would allow them to buy everything they wanted..

I can't believe I didn't end up in a fight lol
This isn't new. I was a cashier in a grocery store back in 1979. I could tell a food stamp order a half a block away because when all of us were cutting back on meat because it was very expensive (under Carter btw), they had cartloads full of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 11:48 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,528,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And there are exceptions too. I think he is advocating that lower-income people pay less by percentage then the wealthy.

It sounds great when your cool hip professor is saying it . The problem though is going to be the effective tax rate. That is going to get very high on the high-income earners and job producers. Where Illinois really bites you is property taxes. And the wealthy pay much higher property taxes than the poor relatively, because they are more likely to own real estate, and own it in more expensive areas.

Adding a higher income tax to their already too high effective tax rate will cause them to leave the state. Then, starved for revenue, the state will start taxing lower and lower brackets at higher rates. Terrible idea, IMO.
I agree property taxes are high, but they are regressive in Illinois. My cleaning lady pays a little less than half what I do but my house is worth 3.5 times what hers is.

But there is one thing most people DON'T know. If your income exceeds $500k, you get to deduct zero property taxes on your STATE return, driving up your state rate much more than the 67% everyone else got hit with in 2017 on top of the already big state tax increase under Pat Quinn.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 PM

629 posts, read 545,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
This isn't new. I was a cashier in a grocery store back in 1979. I could tell a food stamp order a half a block away because when all of us were cutting back on meat because it was very expensive (under Carter btw), they had cartloads full of it.

reminds me of the time I was at Jewel and this trashy woman was yelling at the guy for not getting them lobsters fast enough, then she was yelling in the store, YOU WANT A LOBSTA? I'll get YOU a LOBSTA!

Old 04-26-2019, 01:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,471,349 times
Quote:
I agree property taxes are high, but they are regressive in Illinois. My cleaning lady pays a little less than half what I do but my house is worth 3.5 times what hers is.

But there is one thing most people DON'T know. If your income exceeds $500k, you get to deduct zero property taxes on your STATE return, driving up your state rate much more than the 67% everyone else got hit with in 2017 on top of the already big state tax increase under Pat Quinn.
You won't get any argument from me that our property tax based educational funding system is bleeped up. I've been rallying on about this on here since 2006. The school districts which need the most resources get the least, thanks to that system, which I also think violates the Illinois Constitution.

But the answer there isn't to give our irresponsible General Assembly the power to raise income taxes. Nor is the solution to subsidize vices and bad spending habits. The solution is to reform the property tax system to be more fair.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM

30,409 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Do you have a cite for this, factoring in property taxes? You keep saying it but I haven't seen any evidence.

It's very progressive to say the poor are getting stiffed at the hands of the evil rich, who laughingly avoid any tax liability. Really that's been true for several decades now. But back in my day, we were shown evidence that this wasn't really the case, and that the issue was more complex than just looking at a few numbers in a vacuum.

Now, we just let 'em run with it. So either I was being lied to or we have a serious issue with people spouting off talking points without really thinking. So let's see some data. Thanks!
I don't have a link nor am I taking time to find one but it's common sense, if a high income person buys a pack of cigarettes and a 6 pack and a low income person does the same, the lower income person has just paid a much higher rate of taxes and this combined with your flat taxes means the overall tax structure is regressive in Illinois.

Property taxes I would guess to be somewhat similar to your flat income tax rates, higher income people are likely to have a more expensive house in somewhat proportion to their incomes.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:16 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,232,540 times
Quote:

They didn't fix anything when they raised the state tax last time.
Precisely. Those cronies are not going to enrich themselves, ya know

Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,909,593 times
Quote:

If I could afford to have a cleaning lady, property taxes wouldn't bother me.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:40 AM

638 posts, read 241,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't have a link nor am I taking time to find one but it's common sense, if a high income person buys a pack of cigarettes and a 6 pack and a low income person does the same, the lower income person has just paid a much higher rate of taxes and this combined with your flat taxes means the overall tax structure is regressive in Illinois.

Property taxes I would guess to be somewhat similar to your flat income tax rates, higher income people are likely to have a more expensive house in somewhat proportion to their incomes.
And we also have a regressive system as benefits given out... so what’s the difference?? The low income person is getting SNAP benefits, section 8 housing etc... where is the complaining about that?

Instead me have become a society of jealous people wanting to blame the successful for all of our problems .. why not blame the lazy that rely on the government to support them?? Isn’t that the real problem?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:29 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,232,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Then invest in those companies, its that simple..
This requires after tax and after cost of living funds. (i.e. money left over at the end of the month)

With employment being unreliable and cost of living marching upwards, that's not always a possibility for most people.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:32 PM

638 posts, read 241,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
This requires after tax and after cost of living funds. (i.e. money left over at the end of the month)

With employment being unreliable and cost of living marching upwards, that's not always a possibility for most people.
According to who?? You are going to have a hard time selling that to me, I teach as my main job, then coach two sports, umpire and referee most of the year, tend bar a few nights a week and work summer maintenance at my school.. But I made the effort to get an education and have decided to work extra jobs, so your comments make zero sense to me and is a simple excuse for the lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: