Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats your fave IL season?
Spring 4 16.00%
Summer 5 20.00%
Fall 14 56.00%
Winter 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First you say you lived in TX, FL and KY, yet you complain about it being muggy here??? Okaaaaaay. Then you say that you feel the summers here are "not warm enough", but earlier you state that "summers are way too long". So which is it? Then you also say that winters are too humid. Sure the humidity is quite high in winter, but the air still feels incredibly dry most days, making most people have to lather on the lotion and chapstick (myself included). And also, most of TX, FL and KY have very similar summers. The only difference being KY is slightly cooler than places like Dallas, Miami, Houston, etc. I think youre talking nonsense, actually.
You can have a summer that is way too long, but not hot enough. The muggy weather of Illinois in the summer does last way to long. Then you get a short break in the fall, then you have a winter that is way to long. I don't think the winters are that cold, but I do think they suck. Then you get a couple good weeks of spring then you are back to the muggy summers. Yes, Florida is very muggy. But because of where it is situated, there is much good use for the mugginess. The beach comes directly to mind. Texas is dryer than ****, and hot to boot, but it's a nice kind of heat. Kentucky is just perfect. Hot, dry, all four seasons. Illinois is just bad. That is what I get for living in multiple states throughout my lifetime. Experience in different places and conditions. I feel sorry for people who are born and raised in Illinois, because most of the people I talk to who are think Illinois is the best there is. How wrong they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Texas is dryer than ****, and hot to boot,
Only certain parts of TX are dry, and thats in west TX only. Most of TX is hot and just as humid as Florida, even more so in some cases, and definitely warmer. El Paso is hot and dry, Amarillo is dry, too, but Amarillo experiences a lot of tornadoes, and often gets snow and nasty ice storms in winter.

Quote:
Kentucky is just perfect. Hot, dry, all four seasons.
Kentucky is not dry, its very muggy and quite warm, but not too hot like Texas. Winter in KY is a rainy mess, even with snowfall and ice storms and tornadoes. KY and TX aslo get significantly more precipitation than Chicago. Chicago gets 35" of precipitation, Louisville gets 43" and Houston gets 47". So of all the states you mentioned, Chicago is actually drier.

Soooo, anything else?

Old 05-07-2008, 02:22 PM

68 posts, read 274,216 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way. It means you haven't experienced anything outside of this city.
Actually, if you re-read my post, I said there is soo much to do etc etc BUT i have not experienced much of it myself.

and i do travel and have traveled to many parts of our little world.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Only certain parts of TX are dry, and thats in west TX only. Most of TX is hot and just as humid as Florida, even more so in some cases, and definitely warmer. El Paso is hot and dry, Amarillo is dry, too, but Amarillo experiences a lot of tornadoes, and often gets snow and nasty ice storms in winter.

Kentucky is not dry, its very muggy and quite warm, but not too hot like Texas. Winter in KY is a rainy mess, even with snowfall and ice storms and tornadoes. KY and TX aslo get significantly more precipitation than Chicago. Chicago gets 35" of precipitation, Louisville gets 43" and Houston gets 47". So of all the states you mentioned, Chicago is actually drier.

Soooo, anything else?
I've lived in Austin, Corpus Christi, and Dallas. While Corpus is very humid (actually, probably the most humid city in the countr) the other two are not. Kentucky is absolutely beautiful all year round. Despite your claim about it being worse than Illinois, no one I know from Kentucky, or on the Kentucky board complains about the weather.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I've lived in Austin, Corpus Christi, and Dallas. While Corpus is very humid (actually, probably the most humid city in the countr) the other two are not. Kentucky is absolutely beautiful all year round. Despite your claim about it being worse than Illinois, no one I know from Kentucky, or on the Kentucky board complains about the weather.
As we speak, its 83 in Dallas with 61% humidity, which is very dang humid. And just think, thats not even that hot down there yet. Austin is currently at 88 degrees with 54% humidity, which is also quite bad. And I used to live right outside Hopkinsville, KY in Clarksville, TN. If youre trying to convince me that it isnt hot and steamy in KY then Ill just have to call you a liar, simple as that. It was a sauna down there for the entire summer. We ran the A/C almost for 4 straight months, just to pull the moisture out of the air.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,730 times
East Texas, Florida, and Kentucky are all muggy as hell in the summer. They have milder winters because...um...they're further south. But you can't tell me the summer is any more bearable in any of those three places.

I'd also far rather be here in the summer than Vegas, Phoenix or any of the other dry cities out west. Give me humidity and green over 118 and parch dry any day.

Very few places have a perfect climate (San Diego maybe?), and Illinois' can leave something to be desired in say, the middle of January, but late March to early June and mid-Sept to early November is absolutely beautiful in Illinois, and the summer mornings and evenings from June to Mid-Sept. have their charms, despite the humidity.

To interject an old cliche, there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,665 times
Quote:
Which season is your fave in IL and why?

Mine is fall. Love the temps, the colors, the smell of burning leaves, the pumpkin farms, the crisp nights.

Ive always loved fall! The apple cider, bonfires, the crunching of leaves beneath your feet, the smell in the air.. We had a fall wedding planned ( we moved it to August since our hall wasnt availble) Our date was October 10, apple red dresses. with fake red and orange leaved scattered around the tables and hall, with candle centerpieces..We live in Fl now and I miss the fall

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
East Texas, Florida, and Kentucky are all muggy as hell in the summer
Absolutely. Im pretty sure the guy Ive been talking/arguing with has never lived in those places. If he thinks IL is humid, then he's got another thing coming.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. Im pretty sure the guy Ive been talking/arguing with has never lived in those places. If he thinks IL is humid, then he's got another thing coming.
I'm sure you've never been to these places. If you've been to Northern Kentucky, which is where I am from, you would never want to come back to Illinois. As stated, the weather is beautiful. Also, Austin is a dry city. I've lived there. You've lived here.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you've never been to these places. If you've been to Northern Kentucky, which is where I am from, you would never want to come back to Illinois. As stated, the weather is beautiful. Also, Austin is a dry city. I've lived there. You've lived here.
Northern KY is a hot, humid, swampy wasteland, with towns that are 25 years behind the rest of the country (at least around the areas Ive been to). And yes, Ive been to Austin, where its incredibly hot and incredibly humid. Listen, I can tell youve never been there, or else you wouldnt ever argue that it wasnt hot and humid in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois