Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times

Advertisements

You might also consider areas north of Springfield, such as Andrew & Petersburg. Lots of undeveloped land and farming in the area. Lots of...dare I say...quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM

144 posts, read 744,255 times
I am from Taylorville so I'm a little biased, but with a pop. of 12k, your wife could certainly find something in the med field or at the hospital. She could also easily commute to Springfield if she needed to. But you are in the country too so all of the wonderful things you spoke of in your letter would apply.

Other areas big on the outdoors and hunting are in southern IL. Carbondale is bigger, but Effingham, Vandalia, Centralia might offer something. Personally if I was moving back, aside from Tville, I would seriously look at Shelbyville. It's a nice little town.

Since you are a realtor, have you contacted anyone in Central IL for available properties/suggestions on areas?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 17,317 times
Out of Alaska

I do know and have spoke with a Realtor thats in the Milton/Pearl area. They are about halfway between Taylorville and Quincy I think. I wanted to get some unbiased opinons on what folks thought. Your suggestion on Shelbyville sounds good also. We're told Lake Shelbyville is pretty nice, we love to fish also.

Since your state is so large we are trying to narrow down our search for an area before I contact folks there and make an all out effort to locate a rental property that will allow my dog. I have lived in or around the state of Maryland for most of my life. You can fit about a dozen Marylands inside Illinois. I need to keep that in perspective as we narrow our search. I wouldnt want to come out and rent a place only to have an hour drive to a larger town to look for work.

The areas I read on this forum along the Illinois river sound nice. Folks speak of rolling hills and such, a little more topography than just flat. Having lived around the Appalachians and the Smokey mountains we'd kinda like to see a hill once in awhile.

That being said , we certainly do appreciate any and all feedback we are recieving. Our time frame to move is in early spring of 09, with some leg work and more than likely the folks on this forums assistance, we think we'll be ready.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,258 times
You're looking in the right area. Anything Jacksonville west is very rural and hilly. Some really nice, rural towns that are still fairly close to J-ville/Springfield are Bluffs, Winchester, Chandlerville, Pleasant Plains, and Petersburg. These areas are agricultural fields and mixed woodlands, more gently rolling topography than to the east. Land can be had, but you will be paying for it.

More to the west/southwest and you're in a very rural area with less access to towns/jobs. Pike county is a beautiful area but land has really spiked there due to its popularity for deer hunting. Brown County is another choice. Excellent hunting, lots of timber, but not as well known as Pike. Pike is world famous for its bucks. Personally, if I could live anywhere in that area, I would choose somewhere in Pike, maybe the country around Pleasant Hill, IL, or even across the river in Louisiana, MO., a really cool river town.

The main issue again is jobs. If you're independently wealthy/retired and want the real country vibe, I wouldn't hesitate to look in the more rural counties like Brown, Pike, Greene, etc. If you need an urban area for work, the closer towns like P.P. and Petersburg are nice. Petersburg especially, is nestled in the bluffs along the Sangamon River, just a gorgeous hidden gem of a town. There are lots of big, old houses for sale at various times. Rural Menard county land, though, is expensive.

A word on east of Springfield--the land is much more tillable there, generally more fields and less wooded acreage. The vibe is different, more pure farming communities than you'll find in west-central IL, where it's a mix of ag and a very strong sense of hunting/outdoor activities.

If you can afford to do it and want the small town life, you will find a number of very appealing choices in the west-central region.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracurt View Post
Linicx

Your description sounds like the kind of place my wife and I are looking for.
Havana is a mix of Victorian and modern architecture. street ;a,[s amd brick streets. and ancient Native American history. In nearby counties you'll find one of the largest night time Xmas parades in America, the two oldest zoological parrks in the nation, botanica, unsual museums and all kinds of activity from cool jazz and carriage rides to hand made cigars and glassblowers. Not far away is an ancient Native American museum and dig. And lots of parks. You'll find many interesting, cultural or historic places or events. Our area history predates colonial America by several thousand years. There is also riverboat gambling and river cruises. There is even a yacht club, so if you sail, too, bring her about. Many of our towns have riverfront parks, and a few have annaul events that are very old. Wait til you see Havana's Oktoberfest. What it lacks in size, it makes up for in family fun from the pint-size carnival to the German Oompa band. If you are black, white, yellow or roed, you will be perfectly comfortable in this area. And, by the way, if you haven't been watching the political drama on TV, Illinios IS a Democratic state. And in the event genealogy is your thing, I have a ton of ancestors who lived in NY and NJ in the 17th and 18 centuries.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,302 times
Some suggestions (in no particular order):

Barry, IL - Great little town nestled in the hills of Pike County. Nice little downtown area. Very rural feel. About 30 miles east of Quincy and 75 miles west of Springfield. Population of about 1500.

Carlinville, IL - Voted one of the best small communities in the Midwest. About 40 miles south of Springfield and 60 miles north of St. Louis. Really nice downtown square with shops and places to eat. Good hunting nearby. Town has pretty much everything you need in terms of the basics. Population of about 6,000.

Petersburg, IL - Beautiful setting on the bluffs. Lots of nice houses and shops. About 25 miles north of Springfield. Lincoln's New Salem Park is nearby. Population of about 3,000 (I think).

Grafton, IL - Farther south. About 40 minutes northwest of St. Louis. At confluence of Mississippi and Illinois rivers. Very "touristy" (e.g., shops, wineries, etc.), beautiful area, lots of bluffs and hills. A little faster paced that the other towns but a major state park and lots of good hunting nearby. A good mix of rural and urban flavor. A good bet if you want to tap into nearby larger job markets (esp. Alton, St. Charles (MO) area and North St. Louis County).

Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
Is there a reason 50 miles or Springfield and not say 50 miles of Champaign? I think if you are looking for a town with an economic base that could support you, but still get out a bit to go hunt and hike and whatnot some of the areas around Champaign would also be a place to consider.

Basically I'm gathering (from the simplify comment) that you don't want much of a commute or a relatively moderate commute (certainly not what you have now).

Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Quote: "Having lived around the Appalachians and the Smokey mountains we'd kinda like to see a hill once in awhile."

The farther you travel out of central Illinois and away from the river, you will find more farmland, more prairie, less hills, less bluffs, less forested areas, less services, more isolation and more clusters or pockets of population. B-N, Champaign and southern Illinois have cluster areas.

When you make your final drive, stay on I-80 east to Princeton, Illinois. Here turn south on IL 29; it ends southeast of Springfield. This route follows the course of the river most of the way and you will travel through four of the five counties that comprise central Illinois. You'll drive throuth Chilecothe and pass Detweller park on your way to Peoria and Pekin. Leave Pekin on IL 29 and when you come to US 136 turn right. Spend a few nights at the Red Lion Motor Lodge at Havana and get to know the area and who we are. The motel is almost across the street from a grocer and variety store. If you come on Friday, most places serve up some awesome catfish and walleye. Springfield is about 50 miles or less from Havana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois