Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 PM

15 posts, read 47,756 times

Advertisements

If you are being relocated to Rockford, there are some nice areas fairly unexpensive compared to some Chicago Suburbs. Belvidere has some new developments that are very nice and not too far to commute, probably less or around 30 minutes. Elgin west has really nice neighborhoods too. but about an hour away. I do Real Estate in Elgin but can help you in the Rockford or Belvidere area if you need help, I have worked with relocation before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
I have a cousin who moved from Algonquin to South Beloit. They have a beautiful home and that would be reasonably close to Rockford. I wouldn't live farther away than Huntley or Woodstock, myself. If you do end up out here, be prepared for a shock. Winter here is not the same as going on a ski trip. We are expecting 6 inches of snow tonite, we've already had 44, which is more than average.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz2009 View Post
Funny thing is that you're the second person to tell me that. A friend asked why I would trade the LA weather for Illinois (and he lives in Illinios!)

We are actually open minded and do love cold. Our family loves going to Big Bear each winter to see snow. I certainly know that Big Bear's snow does not compare to Illinois, but we do love that weather. Where is Cherry Valley?

So far people have recommended the following:
Byron
Sycamore
Crystal Lake/Woodstock
Winnebago (mixed opinions)

I have a simple map that I printed from Mapquest and don't see Cherry Valley there. Since my husband's job would be in Rockford, I am looking for neighborhoods in that area.
Well, put it this way. It would be like someone moving from Lakeview in Chicago to Needles, CA. Not exactly a move that everyone would cheer for, ya know? There are TONS of excellent areas in Illinois, but Rockford isnt one of them. There are many nice areas of Rockford, but overall its not highly recommended, thats all.

And regarding snow, Im not familiar with Big Bear. If that is some mountain town in CA or some ski resort, I can tell you that it more than likely gets a lot more snow than IL does, if you can believe that.

Oh and Sycamore is a great town, but its a bit far for your husband. I would say its a good 45 minutes to an hour to Rockford, but it would be a lot longer on days when we get snow.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,643 times
In all honesty, if I were settled in SoCal, had a job there, and lived in a good neighborhood, I would definitely stay there. If you love LA, chances are you will not like the small town midwest as life in these towns is pretty much the polar opposite. Really...

Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Oh and Sycamore is a great town, but its a bit far for your husband. I would say its a good 45 minutes to an hour to Rockford, but it would be a lot longer on days when we get snow.
Depends on what part of Rockford he works in. I used to be able to make it from the west end of St. Charles to the east end of Rockford in about 50 minutes. The trick is I'd take back roads the entire way. Take 23 from Sycamore up to Genoa, then just outside of Genoa hop on Cherry Valley Road and you're at the southeastern edge of Rockford in about half an hour.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Depends on what part of Rockford he works in. I used to be able to make it from the west end of St. Charles to the east end of Rockford in about 50 minutes. The trick is I'd take back roads the entire way. Take 23 from Sycamore up to Genoa, then just outside of Genoa hop on Cherry Valley Road and you're at the southeastern edge of Rockford in about half an hour.
When I lived in Sycamore, Id take a similar route to Rockford, and it would vary between 40 minutes to 2 hours, depending on weather conditions. I cant remember the exact route, but I believe we would take 23 north from 64 in Sycamore all the way up until it T's off in Genoa, then hook a left through downtown Genoa and take West Main to CR-13 up to Rockford. Some days wasnt too bad, but on snowy days, they didnt plow the roads well out in the country, and it was quite treacherous, especially with blowing snow.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM

12 posts, read 43,712 times
Thank you all for your feedback, nothing is confirmed yet, but will continue to explore the opportunity. LA is wonderful and cant complain about the weather. Life in LA is just too busy, not as bas as NY I am sure. Illinois happens to be the opportunity that is presenting itself, and want to atleast explore the possibility. All of your comments have been very helpful.

Big Bear is a mountain area that gets lots of snow, 2 hours from LA. I am sure their snow doesnt compare to what you guys get in Illinois. I think what is tempting is just the quality of life... LA is too stressful and in case you havent heard our state's economy is super bad. How is Illinois economy? Can any of you comment on the quality of life there? Is it stressful?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Let's see if we can give you a local comparison.

Imagine Fresno, only 1/4th the size and twice as boring. That's Rockford for you. It's a frayed, post-industrial Rust Belt small city but with big-city urban blight. Oh, and that snow and cold up in the mountains you like to play in for a few hours at a time? Imagine living in it for months on end. We've had many days this winter that never made it out of the single digits, and a couple that never made it above zero. You can't just drive a couple hours to get away from the snow and cold. You have to drive for days or get on a plane.

I understand that some people truly hate L.A. and will consider living just about anywhere to get out. You don't sound like one of those people. Instead you sound like one of those "the grass may or may not be greener on the other side" types. Except for the fact that everything literally is greener around here at least late spring through early fall.... figuratively speaking, it just doesn't sound like this would be the right move for you. I realize that's kind of a presumptuous thing to say and only you know for sure whether it's the right move or not, but my instincts are telling me you're better off staying put than moving to the Rockford area.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz2009 View Post
Thank you all for your feedback, nothing is confirmed yet, but will continue to explore the opportunity. LA is wonderful and cant complain about the weather. Life in LA is just too busy, not as bas as NY I am sure. Illinois happens to be the opportunity that is presenting itself, and want to atleast explore the possibility. All of your comments have been very helpful.

Big Bear is a mountain area that gets lots of snow, 2 hours from LA. I am sure their snow doesnt compare to what you guys get in Illinois. I think what is tempting is just the quality of life... LA is too stressful and in case you havent heard our state's economy is super bad. How is Illinois economy? Can any of you comment on the quality of life there? Is it stressful?

Life can be stressful in Illinois too. We have about a $9 billion state budget deficit at the moment, which is less that the $40 billion deficit that CA has. However, keep in mind that we have less than half the population. I was in Orance Co. last month and heard on the radio that Sourthern California had about a 9% unemployment rate, which I would say is very comparable to many parts of Illinois. The cost of housing is generally lower in Illinois (at least for the "average" type of home). But luxury, executive style homes are very expensive everywhere and Illinois is no exception. Keep in mind that the average price of a home in a place like Rockford is lower than most parts of CA because of less demand for the housing there and that is because relatively few people want o locate there. If I were you, I still say that I would strongly consider staying in CA.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
I lived in Southern Cal for a few years, so Rockford is going to be quite a cultural shock for you because I grew up in neighboring Belvidere. To have any semblance of a metropolitan area, a town close to Chicago would be more appealing, but since your husband's job is out there, you will feel you are in a small town compared to having lived in LA. Nothing bad, just the truth. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois