Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 01:27 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Yeah. Isn’t The instate population at U of I like 90% Chicagoland? The best and brightest obviously aren’t coming from downstate or staying downstate.
There are many intelligent and bright students from downstate who attend UIUC (I mean there’s somewhere between 1-2 million people in central Illinois alone), and there are many successful and well-off individuals from that area. One ignorant comment doesn’t require another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:31 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
There are many intelligent and bright students from downstate who attend UIUC (I mean there’s somewhere between 1-2 million people in central Illinois alone), and there are many successful and well-off individuals from that area. One ignorant comment doesn’t require another.
UIUC? That’s Not U of I and what does “many”mean? “Many”is a word you use when you don’t know the numbers. And how many of these “many” move back downstate for their careers?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
UIUC? That’s Not U of I and what does “many”mean?
UIUC = University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign = U of I.

Nearly 10% of enrollment at UIUC in 2017 alone came from Champaign county:

Student Enrollment

Looks like ~70% of 2017 total enrollment from Illinois came from all of Chicagoland, which is only slightly higher, but not drastically different, than the population split of the state of Illinois. These data indicate Chicagoland doesn't send an inordinately higher number of students than it should based on its population.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Yeah. Isn’t The instate population at U of I like 90% Chicagoland? The best and brightest obviously aren’t coming from downstate or staying downstate.
That's not really surprising to me. Doesn't the Chicagoland metro make up like 75% of the total population of Illinois? In that case, one would assume that around 75% of the in state student body at UIUC is from Chicagoland.

Lastly, UIUC is very difficult to get into. Students who attend schools downstate are at a disadvantage compared to students who attended school in an affluent Chicago suburb.

There's a reason why most IL students attend school in another state.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's not really surprising to me. Doesn't the Chicagoland metro make up like 75% of the total population of Illinois? In that case, one would assume that around 75% of the in state student body at UIUC is from Chicagoland.

Lastly, UIUC is very difficult to get into. Students who attend schools downstate are at a disadvantage compared to students who attended school in an affluent Chicago suburb.

As a transplant to Chicago from the sunbelt? I've noticed your post have often more and more negative on Chicago and Illinois.

Have you considered returning to the sunbelt? Seems getting more pessimistic maybe doubt your original decision maybe? Just I noticed this change. Of course much might be political? But much more negative in post.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Great. Well use that logic when comparing the bad things like killings, crime, etc. Someone was just complaining about the Chicago crime, and now your admitting how much better the schools are in Chicagoland. People never mention population when discussing Chicago crime, and they leave out Chicagoland as a whole.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
U of I is the best (post) high school in suburban Chicago. I would imagine the percentage of Chicago area students at UIUC is pretty close to what you'd find at UIC.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Great. Well use that logic when comparing the bad things like killings, crime, etc. Someone was just complaining about the Chicago crime, and now your admitting how much better the schools are in Chicagoland. People never mention population when discussing Chicago crime, and they leave out Chicagoland as a whole.

Berteau, you have spent so much ink here lambasting and berating and degrading Chicago that it is more than obvious that (1) you are obsessed with the city, (2) are jealous of it, and (3) actually are aware of how great it is.

As to your concern about Chicago's crime rate, does the concern come from:

• the suffering experienced by those in the small no. of neighborhoods where the vast majority takes place, places of people of color, marginalized people who are left out of society (it's not really a Chicago thing; it's more of an American thing. Same for violence/guns: all the US has a serious gun and murder problem)

-or-

• the optics of crime rate, the effect it has on PR and perception

???

So, your concerns, Berteau: are they more based on compassion or on reputation??

I doubt that you have the ability to grasp the irony of it all: that successful Chicago, the one of downtown, the one of the surrounding areas....yes, both south and west....being drawn in to the core, the one of the North Side, the one of the lakefront.....

yes, that successful Chicago: it operates in virtually isolation from where the crime takes place; in other words: in a different world. Or planet.

the irony? It's the emerald city Chicago's total unaffectedness, the fact that it is doing very well on its own, thank you very much, that social justice is no priority and making a buck is, well, that's a good part of why the ghettoes on the city's south and west sides and the violence that occurs there stems for the people in emerald city Chicago being able to enjoy the good life and giving them the luxury of forgetting those "other" people are there due to all that unaffectedness I mentioned.

Those areas of the inner city, those areas of people of color: they're bleeding population now. In large chunks. Chicago, like NY and SF and Boston, is becoming more wealthy, more white while others are being squeezed out. And Mayor Rahm is perfectly happy to see them go. In fact, it is virtually policy to him. So in the end, we very well may get that "low murder rate" you obsess over......but we get it for all the wrong reasons: we see people as "problems" and solve those problems by shipping them away.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:38 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
I wish downstate cared about Chicago and would pass tougher crime laws in general for the state. All the criminals end up back on the street quickly when they are arrested for violent crime, and everyone (former police chief McCarthy included) said that it's because of Illinois lenient sentencing. New York and California have a 3 strikes policy which has definitely helped stave off crime in NYC and LA (which have lower violent crime COMBINED than Chicago). It's not a magic bullet, but tougher sentencing would help with lowing the ridiculous amounts of crime in Chicago. That is set at the state level.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Berteau, you have spent so much ink here lambasting and berating and degrading Chicago that it is more than obvious that (1) you are obsessed with the city, (2) are jealous of it, and (3) actually are aware of how great it is.

As to your concern about Chicago's crime rate, does the concern come from:

• the suffering experienced by those in the small no. of neighborhoods where the vast majority takes place, places of people of color, marginalized people who are left out of society (it's not really a Chicago thing; it's more of an American thing. Same for violence/guns: all the US has a serious gun and murder problem)

-or-

• the optics of crime rate, the effect it has on PR and perception

???

So, your concerns, Berteau: are they more based on compassion or on reputation??

I doubt that you have the ability to grasp the irony of it all: that successful Chicago, the one of downtown, the one of the surrounding areas....yes, both south and west....being drawn in to the core, the one of the North Side, the one of the lakefront.....

yes, that successful Chicago: it operates in virtually isolation from where the crime takes place; in other words: in a different world. Or planet.

the irony? It's the emerald city Chicago's total unaffectedness, the fact that it is doing very well on its own, thank you very much, that social justice is no priority and making a buck is, well, that's a good part of why the ghettoes on the city's south and west sides and the violence that occurs there stems for the people in emerald city Chicago being able to enjoy the good life and giving them the luxury of forgetting those "other" people are there due to all that unaffectedness I mentioned.

Those areas of the inner city, those areas of people of color: they're bleeding population now. In large chunks. Chicago, like NY and SF and Boston, is becoming more wealthy, more white while others are being squeezed out. And Mayor Rahm is perfectly happy to see them go. In fact, it is virtually policy to him. So in the end, we very well may get that "low murder rate" you obsess over......but we get it for all the wrong reasons: we see people as "problems" and solve those problems by shipping them away.
I’ve been defending Chicago. You need take the time to read these threads closer before quoting people. You just wasted a lot of your own ink on this rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois