Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 9,293 times

Advertisements

Help...
My husband's company is relocating to Ottawa, IL from Massachusetts.. in 8 weeks.. Yup this is a very sudden move..
Can anyone tell me anything about this city?

What parts are safer/better than others? We have kids..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 AM

781 posts, read 1,618,976 times
My uncle was the Superintendent of Schools in Ottawa for many years. 70's-200ish. I have visted the town, and it is very quaint. I recall my cousin being very upset because of the move. She was starting middle school when they moved. They were living in a suburb of Detroit, and it was very different.

I remember when I was 12 or so, visiting and thinking it was so cool that we could walk to Baskin Robbins and get an ice cream cone!

Quote:
"What parts are safer/better than others? We have kids.. "
Ottawa is not big enough to really have a side last time I checked! They lived in beautiful old home smack in town, right by the river. They had a great Thanksgiving house and tag football yard.

Starved Rock is a great State park, and if you ever want to rent a cabin call 1-2 years in advance.

I have not been there in years, but they have a funny summer festival that revolves around some horrible stew! It is a funny concept and I went once in about 1989 when my son was still in a stroller and we had a lot of fun. The art show was actually decent art, and not just crafty stuff.

I live in a small IL town now and have for 7 years. I am moving to Pittsburgh next month. I had never lived in a small town before. (Nor have I ever been to Pittsburgh!) If you want to enjoy it you can, if not you can't. I have learned it can be a lot of fun, you just have to look a bit harder to find your niche. More of the smaller towns like Ottawa are getting more western suburb people moving out that way to get away from the traffic.

Good luck with your move, I wish I knew more about Ottawa, other than my Uncle was a great superintendent, planned on that job as a pit-stop and retired there. Oh! and of course you can walk to get ice cream!

Last edited by Sideblinded; 01-10-2007 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,013 times
check your pms. Let me know

Ottawa, IL a population of about 20,000 people, very safe and beautiful city. You can walk late at night and not worry about getting mugged, raped or murdered. The city is beautiful as the mayor sees to that. We are right off of interstate 80, about 85 miles southwest of Chicago, 30 minute drive to Joliet. The school system is excellent as are the churches. Very friendly city. Ottawa sits on the Illinois River so there is always lots to do. I could go on and on about Ottawa. You see, I relocated to AZ and absolutely hate AZ. I miss Ottawa so much, the people, the grass, everything about it. You will love it there.

Last edited by Marka; 01-11-2007 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 AM

They have 2 catholic schools there and a catholic high school. Several elementary schools that seperate by grade, so if you have more than one child, one may go to one school while the other goes to a different school, alot of parents don't like that. Catholic tuition is rather cheap under $3,000 a year. Cost of living is cheap, but house taxes are high. Many great neighborhoods. I would say not to move to the West side of town. Two bowling alleys, one movie theater with 6 screens, Woody's steak house (the best in Ottawa). Ottawa is the county seat so there are more professionals there than other towns. The mayor is absolutely wonderful. He has improved Ottawa so much, drive downtown and you will see, murals painted on the buildings, beautiful lights line the street, nice parks. We use to get tons of snow in the winters but not anymore, in fact it is 47 degrees right now but lots of rain (to make everything green). I only wish I were back there. I relocated to AZ for a job and miss Ottawa so much. People are friendly there too. Low crime, nice neighborhoods. Not too many problems there. I remember just a couple of years ago before moving, I would get off of work at midnight, take my golden for a walk in the summer to town, through town, and home. Never did I feel threatened or scared. There are not too many places that can boast that. You will love it there.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:31 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,129 times
I like Ottawa. Starved Rock State Park is near if you like hiking and camping. And if you like motorcycles, there is a Harley Davidson shop nearby. I have enjoyed my visits to the area.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 AM

10 posts, read 50,999 times
Default Ottawa home for sale - 5 bedrooms

Have you found a home yet? I have an executive home available immediately at a very good price. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,056 times
Here's the non-sugared truth about Ottawa. It is a very clicky town. Population is 35'000. There are some better parts of town than others. Search near the high school or near Ottawa ave for a more high class home, for a mid income home try the south side (up the hill). If your children are interested in anything get them into classes!!! If you have a daughter who wants to be a cheerleader in high school she has to have dance classes. If you want your son to play high school football he must have played peewee football. It doesn't matter how good they are if they haven't had lessons or been in the town's sports as a kid. If you like big fancy parties, go visit the Ottawa Historical Society and volunteer, they have a HUGE black tie ball every year. There are alot of people with alot of money in Ottawa, doctors lawyers etc, with private busniesses. The other posts about Ottawa being a pretty city are absolutely true. It's very clean, there also isn't alot for teenagers to do (other than drive around the main strip which is big there) So the high school kids drink and party more than in larger cities.

How do I know these things, I moved to Ottawa with my family when i was 12 and then moved back to Peoria at 14, and back to Ottawa again at 16. Then after high school I moved away for good. My sister however still lives in Ottawa and struggles getting her children into sports. There is a huge problem with favoritism.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 PM

174 posts, read 940,490 times
Default population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitterbug View Post
Population is 35'000.
I told my parents who live in Peru that Ottawa was supposedly 20,000 people and they thought it was more like 16,000.

Patti

Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 AM

Ottawa has around 20,000 people. Where did 35,000 come from? Yes there is alot of favoritism in sports in Ottawa. Yes there is alot of money there, but there is also alot of middle income there. Ottawa is very beautiful. I live in Arizona now and let me tell you, our town doesn't even have a movie theater or bowling allley. Most of the "good" kids go to the YMCA to play sports on the weekends in Ottawa. My home is located on the southside, where most people want to live as there are no "bars" there. We are close to interstates to go wherever we want. Peoria is an awful town, lots of crime. Ottawa has their share of crime but compared to Peoria, Ottawa is pure.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,759 times
Talking Living and working in Ottawa

I have been approached by a head hunter for a nursing job at the hospital in Ottawa. I have lived in Texas all my life so this is a really big decision on my part. I have read all the forums, and much on the internet. However, I was wondering about the cost of living, prices of the nicer homes (not those in the $100,000s) location of these homes, what the hospital is like, etc. I am a single woman moving that way because my son lives in the Quad cities and Ottawa is much closer than driving 18 hours to see him. Thanks for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois