Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown45 View Post
@Focused. Yes the slower pace, no huge shopping malls in every direction, not having 50 theater shows to chose from, loss of friends that he hangs out with and less diversity. (We currently live very close to "little india", a very large orthodox jewish community, "little chinatown", etc. We are in Chicago proper, not a suburb of Chicago.)

Very glad to hear that we will fit in. Living in a rural area has always been what I have yearned for. It just appears that I will be inflicting what I want on my sons in the near future, LOL

Hopefully the joys of hunting, fishing, riding our horses without the one hour commute to get to them, and an ATV to drive around on will compensate for any losses here.
Holler at one of us when you get down here and we can show you the lakes,camping and horse riding areas...hell,you can drop your horses off in my yard and ride for days on end without crossing the same trail twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 19,631 times
@Muleskinner Will do when I can dump the house I am currently in and can figure out what county will have the lowest taxes, how remote an area we want/need and a big enough house for us all. Plus I want to make sure we are close enough to either Carbondale or Marion so we can go out to dinner on occasion, find a place to work out, take a dance class or some guitar lessons, and other stuff like that. Wish me luck!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I wish you great luck! It will be large shock to your kids to move from a city of instant gratification to one of self-reliance and responsibility. Most counties don't have dog laws unless it is a business. Horses are great teachers. If the kids don't know yet they will learn what the word "muck" means. You will have to ask the old muleskinner about rattlers. I don't know how well they like barns and horses.

The best news is SoIL is close to St. Louis and Barnes-Jewish Hospital. There are only two Top 25 Hospitals in the Midwest and Barnes-Jewish is one of them.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM

110 posts, read 204,889 times
Quote:
@Muleskinner Will do when I can dump the house I am currently in and can figure out what county will have the lowest taxes, how remote an area we want/need and a big enough house for us all. Plus I want to make sure we are close enough to either Carbondale or Marion so we can go out to dinner on occasion, find a place to work out, take a dance class or some guitar lessons, and other stuff like that. Wish me luck!
Keep Carterville in mind as you gather information. It is in between both Marion and Carbondale and has less crime than both. Granted, you are coming from Chicago, so I doubt you'll feel unsafe in either Marion or Carbondale. Carbondale does have a criminal element in town, due to the University, though. I went to college there, and would never live in Carbondale, but that's just me.

For the most part, I would just keep your options open. There are a few counties I would cross off, though. Alexander, Pulaski, and probably Franklin.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM

@focused. Why cross those counties off? I am looking at properties in the Shawnee Nat'l forest areas. Taxes? Crime? Unsavory elements? ???

FYI - I have been jumped, I have had homies attempt to intimidate me, I've been cornered, had a gun pulled on me, etc. My son's schoolmates have been jumped and robbed. My parents apartment has been broken into 3 times while they were sleeping. I always keep large dogs (sheppards and now a dobe too.) At least somewhere other than Chicago I can legally have a gun which helpd even the score to an extend. In other words, my guess is that neither Marion or Carbondale would faze me the least. I just want to spare my kids the feelings associated with being a "victim" and feeling unsafe.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
@focused. Why cross those counties off? I am looking at properties in the Shawnee Nat'l forest areas. Taxes? Crime? Unsavory elements? ???

FYI - I have been jumped, I have had homies attempt to intimidate me, I've been cornered, had a gun pulled on me, etc. My son's schoolmates have been jumped and robbed. My parents apartment has been broken into 3 times while they were sleeping. I always keep large dogs (sheppards and now a dobe too.) At least somewhere other than Chicago I can legally have a gun which helpd even the score to an extend. In other words, my guess is that neither Marion or Carbondale would faze me the least. I just want to spare my kids the feelings associated with being a "victim" and feeling unsafe.
Carterville is not a bad town,but there are far cheaper areas to look than Carterville and with much better police depts...C'ville cops are pretty unprofessional and good ol' boy like.

Your cheaper/safer areas are eastern Williamson,Johnson and Saline counties...lots of back country,but still closer to Marion time wise than anything west due to the traffic.

Stay out of Cairo area at all costs.

Metropolis is a nice area too although I'm not to sure about the horse riding areas there(they are all over,I just don't know that back country as well)....there are a couple of posters on here from that area that can fill you in better on that area.

As far as crime down here for the most part you just have the usual punks and methheads...both hide through the day.

Carbondale used to be an awesome place,but for some reason the worse elements are gaining ground there in the last few years.

NOTHING down here crime wise compares to what you have already had to live through it sounds like.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Carterville is not a bad town,but there are far cheaper areas to look than Carterville and with much better police depts...C'ville cops are pretty unprofessional and good ol' boy like.

Your cheaper/safer areas are eastern Williamson,Johnson and Saline counties...lots of back country,but still closer to Marion time wise than anything west due to the traffic.

Stay out of Cairo area at all costs.

Metropolis is a nice area too although I'm not to sure about the horse riding areas there(they are all over,I just don't know that back country as well)....there are a couple of posters on here from that area that can fill you in better on that area.

As far as crime down here for the most part you just have the usual punks and methheads...both hide through the day.

Carbondale used to be an awesome place,but for some reason the worse elements are gaining ground there in the last few years.

NOTHING down here crime wise compares to what you have already had to live through it sounds like.
I feel special now, because you just named one county I used to live in, one county I currently live in, and one county I work in. haha

But yes, chitown, "Crime, unsavory elements, and such."
There are definitely places cheaper than Carterville, but it seemed like a good middle ground to suggest. Also, depends how "country" and rural you want to go.

As far as crime goes, no, you definitely will not find that level of crime/intimidation/etc.... not unless you want to stop and take a look at East St. Louis on your way down.
I kid, I kid.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Any thoughts on Pope County? I already have a line on a "pocket listing". Has everything I would be looking for but it appears from the map that it is fairly remote. Medical access may be an issue down the line because it appears my elderly parents may be jumping ship to join us. Plus, looking at recent statistic online, it appears that the high school might have 150 students max. Feel like we would stick out like sore thumbs as the new family in town.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts on Pope County? I already have a line on a "pocket listing". Has everything I would be looking for but it appears from the map that it is fairly remote. Medical access may be an issue down the line because it appears my elderly parents may be jumping ship to join us. Plus, looking at recent statistic online, it appears that the high school might have 150 students max. Feel like we would stick out like sore thumbs as the new family in town.
Remote? Pope County?

Yes, those two go hand in hand. Pope County is definitely remote. I don't mean that in a bad way. Depending on what you are looking for and your perspective, that is not always a bad thing.

My high school was around 180, so I definitely do not look down upon 150. As far as medical care goes, I will always recommend Western Baptist in Paducah. It is an amazing hospital!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 AM

Focused has it right..Pope IS remote and that's a good thing...my shop is located about a mile from the Pope county line (My shop is in Saline and most of my parking lot is in Williamson)...Pope county has some great horse back area,some of the very best hunting IL has to offer,great fishing on the river and some really good people.

We always hit the Golconda shrimp Fest every year too

You can steal a house there if you go after a foreclosed place...I used to have an Real Estate agent's number that dealt with a lot of foreclosures in Pope...I'll see if I can find her card and PM you if I do.

To avoid a long bus ride for your kids,look closer to Golconda if you are interested in Pope county.

Paducah is fairly close for medical and shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois