Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM

153 posts, read 525,933 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be driving with the family from Nashville TN to Madison WI this weekend. I am looking for a good place to stop for several hours roughly midway to let the kids run around. A great park, walkable downtown, etc.

Any suggestions? This would roughly be between Mt. Vernon and Champaign. What about Effingham? I have a lunch recommendation there (Firefly Grill?).

Cheers, and many thanks.

nbourbaki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
There is an outlet mall in tuscola. There is also a natural area, not too far from the champaign area, but I can't think of the name. I will have to do a little more searching.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:50 PM

408 posts, read 997,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Hi all,

I will be driving with the family from Nashville TN to Madison WI this weekend. I am looking for a good place to stop for several hours roughly midway to let the kids run around. A great park, walkable downtown, etc.

Any suggestions? This would roughly be between Mt. Vernon and Champaign. What about Effingham? I have a lunch recommendation there (Firefly Grill?).

Cheers, and many thanks.

nbourbaki
There's a park named Allerton Park in Monticello, Illinois. It is not off 57, but 30 - 40 minutes west of it if you're interested.
It's maintained by the University of Illinois, and has wide expanses for playing or picnic.

I also understand that there are Amish communities south of Tuscola, primarily Arcola and Arthur.
I'm not certain if they offer anything, but I guess it'd be a nice treat for the kids to experience something different.
Have a pleasant journey!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
Air Museum at the former Chanute AFB in Rantoul.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
I stop and spend some time in most of the towns along I-57 due to work travel. Effingham is one of my favorites. Not sure where Firefly Grill is, but a place I like for good pastries, sandwiches and coffee is Joe Sippers in downtown. Kids like it too because they have loads of books magazines and board games. “Eat, Drink, and Play at Joe Sippers Cafe!” Here is a link to a park that looks pretty: Effingham Park District Community Park
What I like is that it only takes a few minutes to get into downtown off the interstate and you have a reasonably nice and vibrant downtown. Mt. Vernon isn't bad, just isn't as nice. Champaign is larger and that can be bad or good depending on how you want to structure your stop. In addition to the downtown offerings, Effingham has reasonable selection of chain restaurants and a Starbucks all close off the Interstate as well.
Another option just south of Mt. Vernon is Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park on Rend Lake. Literally less than 5 minutes off I-57 and IL 154 (exit 77). Pretty hike and bike trail with restroom facilities and playground area. No entrance fee either. DNR

Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,268 times
Rockhome Gardens at Arcola
Rockome Gardens & Rockome Garden Foods | Cheese Factory | Amish Buggy Rides | Amish Tourism East Central Illinois

Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM

153 posts, read 525,933 times
Thanks all for the info. I think I will make the whole stop at Effingham, as it looks like they have a nice park and downtown. Firefly Grill & Restaurant, Wine, Gourmet Food - Effingham, Illinois is the url for Fire Fly Grill, which yelpers seem to love.

cheers

Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Thanks all for the info. I think I will make the whole stop at Effingham, as it looks like they have a nice park and downtown. Firefly Grill & Restaurant, Wine, Gourmet Food - Effingham, Illinois is the url for Fire Fly Grill, which yelpers seem to love.

cheers
Menu looks good. Too $ to send in to work as business meal. Let me know what you think of the food. If it is truly outstanding food, don't mind splurging once in a while especially with how quickly I get burned out eating at chains; but have also had share of expensive meals that don't justify the cost.
Are you doing the drive in one day? What's you route around Chicago-we have some nasty construction projects going on and I-94 in So. WI is being completely rebuilt.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
This is not on I-57, but it is on the way to it in Ky. before getting on I24. There is a place outside of Land Between the Lakes called Patty's Settlement in Grand Rivers. My inlaws lived in Dover, Tn for many years and we loved stopping there. Petting zoo, shops, great restaurant with the best fried dill pickles and giant-thick pork chops.
I believe also on 24 before getting on I57 is Metropolis Illinois, home of the Superman Museum.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
rend lake. I finally remembered it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois