Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I have to disagree. The condition of too many roads in Indiana is deplorable. The fact that other states may have bad roads as well is no excuse for the condition of many roads, particular interstates, in Indiana.

I-65 between Indy and Chicago is an abomination in many parts. I've driven this road several times in the last few months, so the poster's claim is pretty valid, in my opinion. Strangely, I think a lot of the state and U.S. highways maintained by INDOT are in decent shape, but the interstates are another story. I noticed a lot of work has been done on I-74 between Indy and Cincinnati during my driving yesterday. Interstates 65 and 70 are certainly more heavily traveled thoroughfares, particularly for semis, and there's just not enough work being done on those roads.

I won't get started on streets in the city of Indianapolis.
Bravo!!!!

Driving from Indy to Chicago on 65 is like driving through a minefield! And don't get me started on the state of the Indiana Toll Road … spent last week driving it back and forth every day and I'd like my money back, thank you.

I thought the money from the toll road lease was supposed to help maintain roads … I thought the lessees of the toll road were supposed to keep it up … what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I thought the money from the toll road lease was supposed to help maintain roads … I thought the lessees of the toll road were supposed to keep it up … what happened?
I defended the concept of the Toll Road lease. What I didn't account for his how badly INDOT and state politicians would mismanage it, starting with blowing money on the I-69 extension.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I defended the concept of the Toll Road lease. What I didn't account for his how badly INDOT and state politicians would mismanage it, starting with blowing money on the I-69 extension.
on paper, it looked great … unfortunately, like most things Mitch Daniels did, what looked good on paper was lousy in practice (read IBM).

Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Bravo!!!!

Driving from Indy to Chicago on 65 is like driving through a minefield! And don't get me started on the state of the Indiana Toll Road … spent last week driving it back and forth every day and I'd like my money back, thank you.

Well, that company is almost bankrupt since they've learned tolls can't really completely pay for maintenance of the road. They weren't helped by the fact that Indiana hadn't raised tolls on that road in years so when the private company had to, people went crazy and stopped driving the road. By the way, the linked article makes a great point about the Illiana expressway Pence is building where if the tolls fail to meet expectations, the state has to pay the private company operating it the difference to a guaranteed minimum payment. Since the toll road can't pay for itself, how can this new expressway work? Given that you can't pay cash on it, either, you have to have the i-pass or whatever it is, that will keep even more people off of it. It really seems like a major boondoggle.

Advance Indiana™: Indiana Toll Road Operator Facing Bankruptcy

Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Well, that company is almost bankrupt since they've learned tolls can't really completely pay for maintenance of the road. They weren't helped by the fact that Indiana hadn't raised tolls on that road in years so when the private company had to, people went crazy and stopped driving the road. By the way, the linked article makes a great point about the Illiana expressway Pence is building where if the tolls fail to meet expectations, the state has to pay the private company operating it the difference to a guaranteed minimum payment. Since the toll road can't pay for itself, how can this new expressway work? Given that you can't pay cash on it, either, you have to have the i-pass or whatever it is, that will keep even more people off of it. It really seems like a major boondoggle.

Advance Indianaâ„¢: Indiana Toll Road Operator Facing Bankruptcy
Indiana Gov't was heck bent on leasing it out and the company made a pitch and it was bought hook line and sinker. The reason they wanted it to be leased in the first place was because it wasn't making money …

The only reason we took the toll road last week was because the Borman was backed up all the time.

But who cares? It's only NWI, nobody cares about NWI.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
As an RV'er, I can attest to the horrible state of Indiana's interstates (especially 65).

It's not like I don't travel outside of Indiana. I have driven in 49 states (all but Alaska), and Indiana is quickly rising to the top, and that's not a good thing.

I-65 is terrible.

We are being gouged for money left and right, especially at the BMV. Where is that money going? They then have the gall to tell us we saved a bunch of money at the BMV because we have the lottery.

Good thing we have those "small taxes" and "small government" Republicans in power in the House, Senate, and Governor's office!

I'm sure our taxes will be lower any day now and our roads will magically be better!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM

111 posts, read 243,262 times
Quote:
I have to disagree. The condition of too many roads in Indiana is deplorable. The fact that other states may have bad roads as well is no excuse for the condition of many roads, particular interstates, in Indiana.

I-65 between Indy and Chicago is an abomination in many parts. I've driven this road several times in the last few months, so the poster's claim is pretty valid, in my opinion. Strangely, I think a lot of the state and U.S. highways maintained by INDOT are in decent shape, but the interstates are another story. I noticed a lot of work has been done on I-74 between Indy and Cincinnati during my driving yesterday. Interstates 65 and 70 are certainly more heavily traveled thoroughfares, particularly for semis, and there's just not enough work being done on those roads.

I won't get started on streets in the city of Indianapolis.

Ok, I'm not meaning to attack you so please don't take it this way, I respect your opinion, but you just said that a lot of the state and U.S. highways maintained by INDOT are in decent shape, but the interstates aren't... Have you been to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan or New York? Neither the state maintained highways or the interstates are in good shape at all in most areas of those states, let alone the county roads. Pennsylvania used to be worse but it's getting a lot better there. I'm on Indiana interstates all of the time, and after driving on the interstates in Michigan I feel like Indiana's are a lot better, the worst Interstate I've been on is 475 in Flint. After that it's 75 south of Detroit. Then probably 94 between the Illinois state line and Milwaukee. I wouldn't mention a stretch of Indiana interstate until maybe 8 or 9, and it would be on 70 while it bypasses Richmond, not a stretch of 65 which I've driven to Chicago from Indy, and to Louisville from Indy in recent months.

Everyone in every state complains about their roads, whether it's a perfectly smooth road and for only a few seconds of driving there's just one little rough pavement spot, or if it really is a bad road, the reaction is the same... it's panic time and people be like, "OH MY GOSH!!! THAT BETTER NOT OF BENT MY RIMS!! MY CHICKEN SALAD THAT I HAD JUST ABOUT CAME OUT!!"

I did have a few lumps in my tires during last winter after hitting a pothole but my tires were getting to the point that they needed to be changed anyways. Took them in after that and the mechanic said that the tires were dry rotted so I'm glad I took it in because I probably wouldn't of otherwise. Other than that I've hit 50 gazillion potholes all over the Midwestern states and I haven't had any other problems. I just feel like people complain about some roads a little to much. If driving is not like floating in a cloud, the road is horribly maintained.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Bravo!!!!

Where exactly is it like driving through a minefield?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackOnMack View Post
Ok, I'm not meaning to attack you so please don't take it this way, I respect your opinion, but you just said that a lot of the state and U.S. highways maintained by INDOT are in decent shape, but the interstates aren't... Have you been to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan or New York? Neither the state maintained highways or the interstates are in good shape at all in most areas of those states, let alone the county roads. Pennsylvania used to be worse but it's getting a lot better there. I'm on Indiana interstates all of the time, and after driving on the interstates in Michigan I feel like Indiana's are a lot better, the worst Interstate I've been on is 475 in Flint. After that it's 75 south of Detroit. Then probably 94 between the Illinois state line and Milwaukee. I wouldn't mention a stretch of Indiana interstate until maybe 8 or 9, and it would be on 70 while it bypasses Richmond, not a stretch of 65 which I've driven to Chicago from Indy, and to Louisville from Indy in recent months.

Everyone in every state complains about their roads, whether it's a perfectly smooth road and for only a few seconds of driving there's just one little rough pavement spot, or if it really is a bad road, the reaction is the same... it's panic time and people be like, "OH MY GOSH!!! THAT BETTER NOT OF BENT MY RIMS!! MY CHICKEN SALAD THAT I HAD JUST ABOUT CAME OUT!!"

I did have a few lumps in my tires during last winter after hitting a pothole but my tires were getting to the point that they needed to be changed anyways. Took them in after that and the mechanic said that the tires were dry rotted so I'm glad I took it in because I probably wouldn't of otherwise. Other than that I've hit 50 gazillion potholes all over the Midwestern states and I haven't had any other problems. I just feel like people complain about some roads a little to much. If driving is not like floating in a cloud, the road is horribly maintained.
Ever driven in Europe?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Ever driven in Europe?
Yeah all the time man, who hasn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana