Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 91,615 times

Advertisements

The issue with Indiana is that there are pockets of economic opportunity. Indianapolis is a great capital, and South Bend has some opportunities there too. If more people are receptive to change, this pocket mentality would not be an issue.
Honestly, if you want to earn the salary scale that's a bit higher than Indianapolis, I would reccommend checking some Chicago Banks that have purchased local Indiana branches. I have noticed that Harris, NA is a large Chicago based bank that has been acquiring local banks in Northwest Indiana and Southern Indiana. I know a few people who like working for that bank.
I live in Northwest Indiana (Highland, Schererville, Munster, Dyer, Griffith, South Hammond-pretty decent places). I work here, and I am finding that when I graduate college in June, I will be looking for another job.
Merrillville, Hobart, St. John has alot of businesses. I may look there for a job rather than Chicago. Still, we are close in commuting to Chicago with the South Shore and the toll road (commuter van pools). The van pools are awsome because you get home in 30 minutes taking Cline Avenue to the Chicago Skyway.
NiSource is a large business which has a large corporate office right off of I-65. I know there's alot of insurance companies and finance companies in Northwest Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,430 times
Default Indiana is a good place to live!

From my perspective, our unemployment rate is "low" in part because there are many people, particularly immigrants, who are willing to take minimum wage jobs. It's surprising that our unemployment rate is low because Indiana has lost a lot of high-pay manufacturing jobs, though our governor is working hard to bring new jobs to the state.

We are known for having excellent universities--IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, etc. Indpls. is the home for Eli Lilly--the pharmaceutical giant--and degree and job opportunities are fluorishing in the life sciences. There is super shopping and if you like football, well say no more!! This is Colts country and it gets pretty crazy this time of year!!

If you have job experience, I would think you'd have no problem finding employment. One more thing worth noting is that our cost of living is low compared to many states--homes and utilities are very affordable. I don't have a big house (1400 sq. feet) and my power bill (all electric) was $165 last month--not bad for a family of two in December!!

I hope this helps--I think Indiana has a lot to offer--southern Indiana is really beautiful--the glaciers stopped south of Indpls. and you starting seeing rolling hills as you head toward Bloomington (home of Indiana University and a beautiful campus!).

More than anything else, you will find Hoosiers to be friendly, down to earth people---there IS something to be said for the Midwest!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 AM

440 posts, read 329,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander76 View Post
The issue with Indiana is that there are pockets of economic opportunity. Indianapolis is a great capital, and South Bend has some opportunities there too. If more people are receptive to change, this pocket mentality would not be an issue.
Honestly, if you want to earn the salary scale that's a bit higher than Indianapolis, I would reccommend checking some Chicago Banks that have purchased local Indiana branches. I have noticed that Harris, NA is a large Chicago based bank that has been acquiring local banks in Northwest Indiana and Southern Indiana. I know a few people who like working for that bank.
I live in Northwest Indiana (Highland, Schererville, Munster, Dyer, Griffith, South Hammond-pretty decent places). I work here, and I am finding that when I graduate college in June, I will be looking for another job.
Merrillville, Hobart, St. John has alot of businesses. I may look there for a job rather than Chicago. Still, we are close in commuting to Chicago with the South Shore and the toll road (commuter van pools). The van pools are awsome because you get home in 30 minutes taking Cline Avenue to the Chicago Skyway.
NiSource is a large business which has a large corporate office right off of I-65. I know there's alot of insurance companies and finance companies in Northwest Indiana.

As a native of Chicagoland area and someone who recently moved back there from Hobart, because of the brutal commute, I have to tell you there are very few jobs in Northwest Indiana. The few jobs that they do have pay very poorly. Their highest hourly rate on average is $8-12 dollars an hour, which is why the majority of people who live there have endured a lifetime of lengthy commuting to downtown Chicago. Northwest Indiana could not survive without the revenue generated by those who commute to Chicago on a daily basis.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 AM

85 posts, read 238,528 times
all the good jobs are going to Mexico leaving us with low paying jobs. Thanks to NAFTA!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
I agree with the most recent post from Preaching3thechoir.

The economy in NWI is weak. While the area is 'growing' (at least Southern Lake County), it's a somewhat jobless growth boosted by people moving from IL (often the South Suburbs, many of which are not so nice and still as expensive as NWI, if not more.). New chain restaurants, strip malls and stores don't really represent a strong, growing economy. NWI offers plenty of jobs, but fewer careers. Don't be fooled by the proximity to Chicago; it might as well be a world away.

Commuting from NWI to Chicago via South Shore is IMO a horrible daily routine, but I can see why people endure that for the employment opportunities in Chicago. Plus, your future potentials in Chicago are much greater than NWI, even if the starting point is not that much better.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
NW Indiana would not survive without Chicago! We have few jobs they are all retail, food service or some gas station job! There are really no professional jobs or careers for college grads! They are moving away to warmer climates and escaping high costs of heating. The only reason people lived in NW Indiana was to work in the industry which is not basically out. You have some people working in Chicago making decent money, but those young people working in nw indiana for minimum wage..either live with family, friends or in a house they inherited from mom, dad or the grandparents. NW Indiana is basically over, over taxed and underfunded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana