Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 PM

247 posts, read 751,159 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a town of 300, so it's a booming area to me LOL I think it has a lot of promise once 1-69 is built. (to grow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Default Evansville Native living in Lexington, KY

I came across this thread and had to reply, as I am a native of Evansville, now living in the Lexington, KY area. I came here for a job, because as others have said, there are no jobs in Evansville. Hell, there are no jobs in Indiana, let's get real. Indiana educates for export. I went to USI and got a Philosophy degree. So yeah, I know I shouldn't expect much. But I'm a computer programmer now. But who the hell wants to hire you in Evansville where there are 20,000 other people that graduated from USI looking for the same jobs? Those damn baby-boomers are going to work until they're 90! Like, you stand a chance if you are from anywhere else.

Evansville is pretty much an image of America's problems: an over-abundance of retail, service industry jobs, and banks. Uncontrolled growth without proper planning: provision land, build, repeat. I imagine this cartoon in my head, where there is a construction worker, a restaurant server, and a banker simply passing money around in a circle. Is that not symbolism?

Not much initiative to reuse anything old or existing (well, finally downtown, but not after completely killing it off in a stranglehold). Its definitely not a place you can live without a car, as everything is so spread out. Plus, its along a river, so the city is 2 dimensional and long. You have the east-side/Newburgh, and the west-side. Connecting them you have an expressway with more stop-lights than hell. Needless to say, it takes a really long time to get anywhere.

But this isn't really anything new. I see these same problems in Lexington. It's all the same ****. People, especially in Evansville, have a problem with mentality. That's the key. How many times have I heard?

"Evansville sucks, its boring, there's nothing to do here..."

Really? I don't hear this crap in Lexington, and I promise you, it has pretty all the same ****. Sure, there are more jobs here. But the number #1 issue is: MENTALITY.

If it sucks so bad, why don't you make it not suck? I mean, really. I had to get out of that place because everyone was so full of bull****. Basically, everyone was too important to be there, and they would soon be going some other place where there was more "**** going on" aka 'The Big City.' Only problem was, they never leave. Why? It's too comfortable and the cost of living is dirt-cheap. You can work a ****ty job and live forever. MAYBE EVANSVILLE SUCKS, SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU COLLECTIVELY SUCK ALONGSIDE EVERYONE ELSE. Change it.

Almost everyone in Lexington is from somewhere else. They are there because they are from some po-dunk town or going to school. Sound familiar? Yeah. So someone talks about putting together an art show or something, they actually do it. (Even though I hate those things).

Bored? Have a party, get something together, do something, so somewhere, ANYTHING! No, it never happens, because people in Evansville have this mentality that they should be entertained. They should not have to exert effort, entertainment should be at their disposal at all time. The irony is, when it is, its never good enough. Sure, blame it on conservatism, the churches, religion, politics, businesses, BUT FOR ****S SAKE, DON'T BLAME IT ON OURSELVES!

If you have a party in Evansville, especially with DJ's be careful. The cops will find out, and think it is a rave, and that everyone is going extacy and going to die so they will come shut it down. I guess they busted their Meth-Lab quota and Jesus told them techno is evil...even though all this **** I mentioned is so 90's and no one does it anymore.

With all this said, I grew up there. I have a certain fondness for it. I have friends and family there. Its nostalgic. It has good qualities good people. Like, if I won the lottery I think I could move back and do nothing. When I get old, I'm sure I won't give a **** where I am, so it could be there or anywhere.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 15,800 times
I am a transplant who has lived in Evansville since 1995 and the area since 1991. Evansville, and the surrounding area, does have a lot to offer if you get out and be active.We just went riding on the Greenway bike/walk path this evening with the cooler weather. This is a wonderful path as it is very quiet and serene for being right in the city. It will soon connect all the way from the kids kingdom playground on the Ohio River to the Heidelbach boat launch north of Garvin Park. There is Wesselman Woods Nature Preserve and nearby Audubon State Park for a nice woods hike. There are fun seasonal festivals like the Fall Festival, Volksfest, H.C. Handy Blues Festival, etc. The public golf courses are good and not too expensive. There are plenty of playgrounds, public pools, and small parks for the kids. The public libraries are excellent. Traffic is not bad compared to many larger cities. The climate is hot and humid in the summer, but so is most of the eastern USA south of Indy or Columbus. I love the winter climate here with the cool and cloudy weather and the occasional snow storm. It is much milder and less windy (think wind chill) than the upper Midwest where I grew up as a kid. Housing costs in Evansville are very reasonable. Shopping opportunities are abundant. The one thing this area needs is creative and industrious people to move here and start new companies and businesses to create quality jobs. Evansville has been hit hard with layoffs and plant closings and the professional and skilled job openings are minimal.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM

173 posts, read 391,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Evansville has the BIGGEST cockroaches I ever saw!!
I know... it's an old post.. but I live in Florida now... Evansville's cockroaches are petite and cute compared to the burly Florida bugs...

Oh... born in EVV, raised in Newburgh, moved to Carmel when I was 9. As an adult I lived in Indianapolis, until I moved to the Tampa Bay area (age 48) 2 years ago. The bug services are all on retainers in the apt. complexes... They spray monthly... for good reasons...

Last edited by clairegoad; 09-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: I forgot to say...

Old 10-27-2012, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
Everything else horrible aside Evansville is ignorant and uneducated and PROUD of it! Which means they will never change. Do not move here unless you are a redneck without a brain.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,181 times
Well I'm not from Evansville, but apparently my great great grandfather stopped there and the roots of family are in Evansville. Now that I live about 4 hours away I hope to make a trip to town and check out the family records, see the sites, and claim what is rightfully mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana