Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,620 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

What do you think of IUPUI, does its Computer Program have good reputation in the the nation?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dihao View Post
Hi All,

What do you think of IUPUI, does its Computer Program have good reputation in the the nation?

Thank you
In the nation??? Maybe the program on Purdue or IU's campuses do, but IUPUI is mainly a commuter school. I'm sure their programs are good, but nationally???

Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
You would want to see what tier this school is in general and do some online research about the ranking of top computer science programs. Additionally, it would not hurt to also research the future of this degree career path in general in the US.

Regarding the last point - What I've seen isn't promising as India and China are pumping out CS degree graduates at incredible rates, and these folks will work for much less than the typical US citizen. Nearly every CS-job which existed in the 90s can now be outsourced or what they call "off-shored."

If I had undergrad/grad school to do all over again I would definitely have chosen a more traditional career path such as MD, Nurse, Lawyer, Accountant, Teacher, or even Engineering. Or just plan to be an entrepreneur of anykind and get a Business Degree followed by an MBA from a top tier program. CS was a "hot field" in the 90s... the golden age is now over.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,620 times
Thank you for your kind and sincere comments domergurl and mbuszu

Old 02-15-2007, 02:17 AM

36 posts, read 214,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dihao View Post
Hi All,

Thank you
Dihao,

This is from someone that graduated with a BS in Computer Science from IUPUI(Purdue degree) and also a minor in business from IUPUI(IU degree).

I graduated in 1999, I feel they have an excellent program. In fact, they do not get the credit they deserve at all. The campus has grown quite a lot since 1999, they have the new law building, among other new buildings, programs.

Remember, that the degree you get from IUPUI is the identical degree you would get if you went to Purdue or IU. In fact, I transferred down to IUPUI from Purdue and nothing changed. Purdue has excellent technical degrees, IU has good business degrees, so I got the best of both worlds by going to IUPUI.

Plus, they have one of the most high tech campuses of anywhere in the nation. Back when I went, they were one of the first campuses to even have internet, web browsing, etc. in 1994. And they had the fastest pipeline to the internet for all of Indiana back then(branched from the IU connection in Bloomington) Also was the first campus to reach an agreement with Microsoft to offer Microsoft products to students for very very cheap, like $5/cd for Windows, office, etc.

I also remember when I was at IUPUI, they were the first campus to do "virtual learning". They were using real video back in 1994 so I could watch classes from home if I was sick, etc. Also had this high tech video distribution system for viewing videos required for class through computers on campus. It was the first video distribution program I had seen at that time, long before video distribution services were even thought of via the internet. They actually had a several robotic arms that would manually grab a VHS tape, put into a tape player, and then you watched it via the internet on campus! It was amazing technology for it's time in 1994-1998.

People say it's only a commuter campus, they don't really realize what it has to offer, it's a great place to learn..

if you have other questions about IUPUI, please let me know. Talk to people that have went there, not people that have "heard" things, etc.

I still stop by campus every few weeks just to work in the cool library they have. I bring my laptop and work real estate from the private rooms they let you rent out, I just love being around education.

Send me an email at craig@sellindiana.com if you have other questions or just post here.

Craig Bartels, MCSE, MCP, A+, Computer Science, Business minor, Broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: