Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,747 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My family and I will be relocating to Indiana for my job (Crane). We have done some preliminary research and have decided to live in Bloomington. Our primary concern at the moment is housing. We are undecided about whether we want to rent or own (we own a house now). Can anyone tell us what housing is like in Bloomington? We'd need a house (since we have 2 dogs...so yes, it would have to be fenced). Are some parts of town better than others? Where should we not look? Would it be better to rent or buy (I will say you have very beautiful homes for sale that are relatively inexpensive). Are there pretty good realtors in town? Any information to all of these ends would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any other information about Bloomington (i.e. places to shop, eat, events, things to do, etc.) that would also be very helpful.

Thank you all very much and we are excited about coming to Bloomington!!!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,255 times
Bloomington is a college town. You should be able to find an ample choice of housing options.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:18 PM

196 posts, read 697,141 times
If I was going to live in Bloomington and work at Crane I would probably look for housing on the south and/or west side of town. Maybe a street # of 3000+. Many of the students live in the northern and eastern pert of town. If you see handrails on sidewalk steps that's an indication the house is a rental. This site may be useful Welcome to the Monroe County GIS

The downtown area of Bloomington has few chain resturants, but lots of interesting places to eat. You might start with a walk along 4th street just west of campus and branch out from there.

If you like these sorts of activities:

Music and/or theater
Indiana University Auditorium
2008-2009 Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center Season (http://www.indiana.edu/~thtr/productions/lntdc2009.html - broken link)
IU SoM Prelude Events Calendar (http://www.music.indiana.edu/apps/prelude/new/ - broken link)
Buskirk-Chumley Theater

Racing
Bloomington Speedway

Water
Lake Monroe

Parks/Outdoors (nearby)
Welcome to Hoosier National Forest
Brown County State Park
Spring Mill State Park
Mc Cormicks Creek State Park
Morgan Monroe State Forest
Yellowwood State Forest

Sports
You can get tickets to most of the IU athletic events on game day. There might be a problem doing that for the Ohio State Football game this fall and for Men's basketball after the big ten season starts in January.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,255 times
What I like about Indiana:

enjoying Brown County in the fall and the little hamlet of Nashville
the Indianapolis Colts and Indiana Pacers that bring pro sports fanatics to Indianapolis
IU and Purdue basketball that brings out all kinds of rivalries
going camping every Memorial Day weekend, so we can get out of Indy for the Indy 500
the state is not all cornfields; the land is diverse
Indiana Beach
Conner Prarie Settlement in Fishers
Childrens Museum of Indianapolis (the world's largest)
going to see the Indianapolis Symphony, especially when its at the Park in summer
at least Indiana can claim a portion of the Chicago metropolitan area
the closeness of major Midwest cities that we can visit if we want
the friendliness of the people
the state's covered bridges (more than any state)
the cost of living
the hills and forest of southern Indiana
Spring Mill State Park

there's more if I thought about it for a while.

Indiana has lots to see and do and enjoy, if you look around. Indiana isnt all bad at all! God bless Indiana.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
You should post that in the thread "What you like/love about Indiana"

Love what you said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana