Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM

8,992 posts, read 17,374,711 times

Advertisements

Iowa not as flat as you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,575,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
True. There's a nice roll to the terrain between Des Moines and Quad Cities.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:52 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,455,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Wisconsin is flatter than Indiana, really ? Can't really imagine that.
Not much of it. It's more rolling hills than anything else.

I always got a kick out of people who remarked about how flat Indiana was when I would tell them I was from there. I would always politely inform them that if they went south of Indianapolis it was anything but flat the farther south you went...

I suspect they would have driven across the northern part of the state when they made the remark. If they drove the new I-69 they would be surprised.

RM

Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,096,225 times
For those of us who enjoy high elevations and dramatic changes in elevations, Indiana is "flat." This doesn't mean flat as a pancake. Additionally, many new residents or visitors to a state are most likely visiting a major urban area, since that is where populations are clustering anymore. People who fly into an out of Indy and don't head SW, South, or SE aren't going to get a great picture of our state's topography. Same if the person spent four years at say Notre Dame or visited someone at Notre Dame. I don't recall much change in topography in the upper northern third of Indiana.

A few weeks ago I went to Cincinnati. Some of the neighborhoods being built on the hills are really neat. I also noticed from I-74 that there are some nice elevation changes in far SE Indiana as you get close to Ohio. However, when people say flat, they are comparing the area to places like the Pacific NW, California, etc. where people can drive just an hour, maybe two, and be in some mountain range that is over a very wide area.

While I would prefer a more mountain type living arraignment, one thing I realized just about a month ago while driving out in a flat and rural area of the state with some elevation changes is that one doesn't get that "as far as the eye can see" landscape living in or near mountains. Even if you are in elevation in the metro area one lives, the mountains might block what would be a nice 'as far as the eye can see' view.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 AM

35,237 posts, read 31,593,239 times
I don't think anyone is claiming Indiana is mountainous, but the hills there in Dearborn County are pretty substantial - even coming from where I'm from in east TN, there are a lot of areas that aren't that hilly.

Geographically, I think IN's biggest problem is that the more scenic parts of the state are nowhere really near the population centers. It's still an hour from Indy to Brown County on the weekends. Southern IN doesn't have any population centers of note, I-65 isn't that pretty, and there isn't a lot of just passing through the area.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think anyone is claiming Indiana is mountainous, but the hills there in Dearborn County are pretty substantial - even coming from where I'm from in east TN, there are a lot of areas that aren't that hilly.

Geographically, I think IN's biggest problem is that the more scenic parts of the state are nowhere really near the population centers. It's still an hour from Indy to Brown County on the weekends. Southern IN doesn't have any population centers of note, I-65 isn't that pretty, and there isn't a lot of just passing through the area.
Having made the drive up and down both I-69 and I-65 from Indianapolis to the northern parts of the state, I would say they are mind numbing - but not as mind-numbing as western Kansas/eastern Colorado or parts of the Dakotas.

Those places make you want to rip your eyes out after a few hours...

RM

Old 02-03-2016, 04:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,575,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Having made the drive up and down both I-69 and I-65 from Indianapolis to the northern parts of the state, I would say they are mind numbing - but not as mind-numbing as western Kansas/eastern Colorado or parts of the Dakotas.

Those places make you want to rip your eyes out after a few hours...

RM
I've never understood this kind of criticism. In relatively flat states, it's easier to just set the car on cruise control and enjoy the radio.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I've never understood this kind of criticism. In relatively flat states, it's easier to just set the car on cruise control and enjoy the radio.
It's just boring, that's all. While I have no problem setting the cruise and running through hours of podcasts, it's nice to have a little visual entertainment as well.

I once drove the better part of the length of Alberta, and it was so flat it took an airplane nearly 40 minutes to transit from one horizon to the other.

Now that's boring....

RM

Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 PM

8,992 posts, read 17,374,711 times
If I am driving any rural interstate, it is boring. Rural interstates are not that exciting. Anywhere.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,673,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Very true. Just like Southern Indiana but you don't see people acknowledging that. Anyone that says Indiana is flat and boring needs to drive the new I-69 from Crane to Bloomington. Can't say with an honest face thats flat.
I drove 69 from Evansville to Crane a couple years ago. I don't remember it being particularly scenic or hilly. But after I exited at Crane I took a state Highway - I believe it was HWY 54, but dont quote me on that - to the west side of Bloomington to HWY 31 or 37 - and it was a fairly hilly, a nice winding country road that felt like time had stood still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis