Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,084,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
When is the last time you were robbed in Nora?
Never. I never have been robbed anywhere in Indy. Does that mean there are no robberies in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeb View Post
I've been checking this forum from time to time because a potential job change may take me to Indianapolis.

As I've never visited your city, posts like the one about rising crime in the Nora area are exactly what will help me during relocation. I must say that the two posts that followed, with their belittling tone, are of no use at all.
Ignore the urban cheerleaders. There could be 500 armed robberies a day in an urban area and they would brush it off as something that comes with "living urban." Ask these folks why they never encourage people to move to a predominately government subsidized apartment complexes like Phoenix Apartments or Amber Woods. They only throw out the best of Indy from what I can tell: Irvington, Meridian-Kessler, Butler-Tarkington, Broad Ripple, etc..

Is Nora bad or dangerous right now? I would say no. All I said was that when I visited the area, many times with friends and such, it was always considered a very, very nice little neighborhood in Indy. In fact, I never thought of Washington Township as having any "low income" housing anywhere. Things changes.

Here are some selected incidents in recent years:

Indy.com | Post: Carjackers ambush man at Nora ATM | Indianapolis, Indiana

Stores, police vigilant after parking lot robberies - 13 WTHR

Clip Syndicate Video: Robbers hold up Nora Walgreens pharmacy

A homicide recently occurred at a Nora area apartment complex. Comments on the internet make note of a possible prior homicide that also occurred in the not to distant past which I found an article about:

Suspect arrested in Indianapolis north side homicide - 13 WTHR

Man Found Fatally Shot At Apartment - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

These homicides occured in the Presidential Estates apartment complex. I think it is a Section 8 complex. It is very close to what most people consider the Nora area.

There is a housing area even closer to the Nora area. The Indianapolis crime and incident mapper shows six armed robberies within the last six months. It also shows two assaults (Domestic disturbances are labeled as such).

Quote:
One might argue that in a thread of Washington Township residents extolling their love of Nora, the guy who lives in Hancock County and whose opinion is based on a news report would be the one that is of no use.
So are you claiming the news reports, based on police data, are fraudulent or something? Oh wait, you're the poster who thinks that unless one is an actual victim of crime in a certain neighborhood, they shouldn't point out crime in that area. Well, since that is the case, tzeb, you should also look at the area of 38th and Keystone, just east. Oh, don't count out the wonderful area of 38th and Mithoeffer and 42nd and Post Rd. while your at it. I haven't heard any good things about these areas, but since I personally haven't been involved in anything bad, I guess I should tell everyone to check out those areas from now on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM

8,988 posts, read 17,325,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Never. I never have been robbed anywhere in Indy. Does that mean there are no robberies in the city?

Is Nora bad or dangerous right now? I would say no.
Appeal to probability is a logical fallacy.

Appeal to probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Ignore the urban cheerleaders. There could be 500 armed robberies a day in an urban area and they would brush it off as something that comes with "living urban." Ask these folks why they never encourage people to move to a predominately government subsidized apartment complexes like Phoenix Apartments or Amber Woods. They only throw out the best of Indy from what I can tell: Irvington, Meridian-Kessler, Butler-Tarkington, Broad Ripple, etc..
It is funny, when someone is robbed at gun point in Fishers, murdered in Plainfield, or takes a gun to school and open fire in Martinsville; no one comes onto an online forum and complains about how dangerous those places are or that they should be avoided. I am not sure what your "500 armed robbery" exaggeration is trying to prove, but if there were 500 robberies a day in Fountain Square I would run, not walk, to a new location. The thing is, that is simply not happening. You can pluck incidents all day if you want, it does not change that fact that thousands of people are in Nora daily without incident.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 05-01-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,084,608 times
Quote:
It is funny, when someone is robbed at gun point in Fishers, murdered in Plainfield, or takes a gun to school and open fire in Martinsville; no one comes onto an online forum and complains about how dangerous those places are or that they should be avoided.
I have pointed out the increase in crime in Fishers:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...tion-area.html #5

https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...napolis-7.html #69

https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...ianapolis.html #10

I haven't said to avoid Fishers or Nora that I know of, just pointing out that what used to be places were a parking lot carjacking or robbery was unheard of are now places where these incidents happen every few months.

Quote:
You can pluck incidents all day if you want, it does not change that fact that thousands of people are in Nora daily without incident.
I agree, but I also don't understand why folks get upset when others point out increases of crimes which use to be rare and/or non-existent. The concept of what is an acceptable crime is subjective. When folks ask about the crime rate in certain areas, I'm going to point it out. Nora is in no way low crime in my opinion. My parents neighborhood, a 30 year old housing addition, has experienced three rashes of home burglaries over a 30 year period. That is what I call low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis