Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM

183 posts, read 338,867 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Indy and made a trip back this week. Went to Broad Ripple to walk around and was taken aback. What happened to all the quirky little independent shops? There really isn't much around anymore. Saw many for rent signs. Saw the natural food store, a yarn store, a gift shop, a so-called vintage clothing store with stuff from the 60-70s, a clothes boutique, and 1 coffee shop. The rest were restaurants. Has the recession hit this area hard or has it been mostly restaurants for years? Not much reason to go there except for a meal. This is the hipster trendy area???? I was embarrassed for Indy. Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,476,643 times
Same thing happened to Zionsville. Fewer independents due to increase in popularity and resulting increase in rent.

However, the whole BR area has enough of what is needed for daily living. Bakery, farmers market, park, grocery, etc. But the actual "downtown" of Broad Ripple is more an evening destination as far as I know. I so remember the Jewish deli and having our lox every Sunday morning. Really miss it.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
Grew up in Indy and made a trip back this week. Went to Broad Ripple to walk around and was taken aback. What happened to all the quirky little independent shops? There really isn't much around anymore. Saw many for rent signs. Saw the natural food store, a yarn store, a gift shop, a so-called vintage clothing store with stuff from the 60-70s, a clothes boutique, and 1 coffee shop. The rest were restaurants. Has the recession hit this area hard or has it been mostly restaurants for years? Not much reason to go there except for a meal. This is the hipster trendy area???? I was embarrassed for Indy. Did I miss something?
This is fairly common when a neighborhood becomes a victim of its own success. Eventually the cute little boutique shops that give a place a unique flavor and make it desireable can't afford the rent commanded by the desireability they created. FWIW, it still seems to me to have quite a bit of that down-home charm notwithstanding the incursion of chains.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Broad ripple is fine lol this is a bad economy and still BR is better than many other neighborhoods in other cities compared to it.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 AM

166 posts, read 375,223 times
No doubt about it Meg, Broad Ripple is headed downhill. The recent influx of chains make it quite unremarkable, and the surrounding ghetto areas are really beginning to take hold. In 10-20 years the Broad Ripple we remember will be a distant memory. :-/

Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
No doubt about it Meg, Broad Ripple is headed downhill. The recent influx of chains make it quite unremarkable, and the surrounding ghetto areas are really beginning to take hold. In 10-20 years the Broad Ripple we remember will be a distant memory. :-/
"Surrounding ghetto areas"?? Man, you need to get out more.

And to which chains do you refer? Establishments like Kilroy's may be a chain, but at least it's a homegrown chain.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
"Surrounding ghetto areas"?? Man, you need to get out more.

And to which chains do you refer? Establishments like Kilroy's may be a chain, but at least it's a homegrown chain.
What chains? Sheesh, you can stroll down Broad Ripple Avenue and just pick 'em out left and right: La Bamba, Starbucks, a Subway and a Jimmy John's right across the street from each other, Brothers, Red Mango, Noodles & Company, bw3, Qdoba just down the street on Guilford, Crapplebee's, Einstein Brothers, Penn Station, etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
Surrounding ghetto areas???? Other than east of Broad Ripple it's in a very nice area. I could actually see the area east of it getting redeveloped into a safer area before I could see the entire neighborhood being "overrun" by the ghetto.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 PM

643 posts, read 1,018,190 times
Trendy/hipster areas always change. I do remember when BR was that area, since then it has been FS, Irvington, Little Flower, it's just like the hipster mentality... when it becomes mainstream or expected they change it up.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What chains? Sheesh, you can stroll down Broad Ripple Avenue and just pick 'em out left and right: La Bamba, Starbucks, a Subway and a Jimmy John's right across the street from each other, Brothers, Red Mango, Noodles & Company, bw3, Qdoba just down the street on Guilford, Crapplebee's, Einstein Brothers, Penn Station, etc.
And these same joints are available in so-called trendy areas in every city. Big whoop-dee-do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis