Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 7,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yep, you are right on and I agree with you 100%. However, it was a lot worse than it should have been.... Even a $200K home in Hamilton county should have certain expected qualities like proper insulation etc... Maybe it was just a regional thing since they were just building them up so quickly in that area.

We moved back to Indy in 2007 and bought another Estridge home and it's been great. Unfortunately though, Estridge is not around anymore. I've also heard great things about Drees....
Drees is friggan expensive though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Scott View Post
Drees is friggan expensive though!
Yeah, they are! What's your price range if you don't mind me asking? Pulte is very good as well, not sure about their prices though...

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM

We would love to be under the 200k range. The Ryan home is 192 which why we are very interested cuz we will get everything that we want. What worries me is the quality and resale value. I've never built new before...and I know just like any other product...things aren't built like they used to be. I'm very cautious right now.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
We would love to be under the 200k range. The Ryan home is 192 which why we are very interested cuz we will get everything that we want. What worries me is the quality and resale value. I've never built new before...and I know just like any other product...things aren't built like they used to be. I'm very cautious right now.
I wouldn't worry about resale. Homes don't appreciate much in the Indianapolis area so its best just to spend the money on a home youll like and want to live in for a long time.
But the good news is the Indianapolis area has the nations most affordable housing market. So i think its a good tradeoff.
Plus theres no bubble to pop unlike most of the country.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks bripguy! That makes me feel a lot better

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Quote:

It sounds as though you are most worried about quality. If I were you I would do a little research on Ryan's website to compare why some of their homes are $400K vs the one you are looking at less than $200K and ask the builder in person why such a difference. Ask specific questions about the quality. Is it just square footage difference. Lack of high end extras - hard wood floors, stainless steel, carpeting, faucets. or do they insulate differently, are the subfloors not as nice......just have them explain to you why the difference.

If I were you, I would also go look at a Ryan home in Carmel and see for yourself the difference. As I mentioned the Ryan home I saw in West Carmel was very nice

I can tell you as someone who is building a Pulte home in West carmel for around $400K, if this same exact home was in Noblesville it would be probably $100K less. I know that because I could get my same exact house in Wesfield with a larger yard than I am getting for about $80K less - with the same extras. Location makes a huge difference on the initial price of a home (but also resale)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis