Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
When someone lives in South Bend and tries to represent a tiny neighborhood on the near Northside, let alone the city of Indianapolis, you can rest assured that I'm calling out someone posting "Indianapolis" as their location.

Hell, Kokomo is more "Indianapolis" than South Bend is.
Oops, I just re-read the post from BRGuy. I thought that was him saying that to you. I didn't realize that whole thing was a PM, I thought only part of it was.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Don't ever eat at another McDonald's again. They're based in "Chicago".
Oak Brook isn't Chicago (employing your line of thinking here).

Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
LOL i dont live in Chicago and i hate the place so much yet i knew that
Chicago Ignorance=Priceless to listen too and laugh at.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Why is it so cheap? Not because of Republicans or Democrats. But because it is that UNDESIRABLE that the prices are so low. Gold and diamonds are more expensive than aluminum not "just because", but because they are more desirable.

But also because demand outstrips supply. And hence a big difference between Indy and Chicagoland. There's plenty of available land on which to develop new housing around Indy that still allows for a reasonable commute. In Chicago you have to go much further out of the city, which means a fairly onerous commute (particularly in light of the recent hike in Metra fares).

Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,454 times
Quote:
And I don't count it as such.

But when people give me grief that Schaumburg is "Chicago", and I'm too "sensitive" about "arbitrary borders", I can adapt and play by anyone's game.

I would much rather count what is officially in somewhere as "somewhere". If not, people can say Indianapolis is nothing but a one stop light town simply because they've visited Whitestown, or Monrovia.

Besides, that was the only company not headquartered inside Chicago city limits (although it is still serviced by the CTA).

The fact remains that South Bend is not Indianapolis. Anyone living in the backyard of the Irish has no business saying they're located in Indianapolis.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I hope you enjoy your ban!

Even self righteous indignation doesn't prevent you from facing the consequences of your actions!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
But also because demand outstrips supply. And hence a big difference between Indy and Chicagoland. There's plenty of available land on which to develop new housing around Indy that still allows for a reasonable commute. In Chicago you have to go much further out of the city, which means a fairly onerous commute (particularly in light of the recent hike in Metra fares).
Well, the better way of thinking about it is, "Would the people of Indianapolis want to put up with the 'necessary' density to have an efficient mass transit system?"

It doesn't matter if there's land or not, I don't think the people of the city would want, or see a need for, the "density" so many say is "needed" for comprehensive and/or innovative transportation in the city.

Ask people to live in a square mile with 10,000 other people for 10, 15, 20 years BEFORE an efficient transportation system becomes available? I think not. People need the reason to move into that kind of environment, and a reliable and comprehensive transportation system is one of those things. Even if all the amenities weren't within walking distance of their residence, but the transit was, that's a reason to go there.

My own personal experience here:

I would have never taken this job in Chicago if Chicago was still "Chicago", but without the trains and busses. It would have been H-E-L-L to do anything in this city because of the density... but because there is transit in place, the density is overcome. Either by foot, bike, car, bus, or train. If one becomes too crowded, I have other options. Once Indy becomes too crowded there will be no other option... except to abandon ship.

Give people a reason to live in a high density area, and they will. Neglect the options that help sustain a high density area, and people won't tolerate that environment.

Once again, do you think Indy would have 800,000 people living in the city WITHOUT the OPTION of driving on the interstates around the city?

I think not.

And I think even less people would live there if the OPTION to travel by airport was not there either.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
And I don't count it as such.

But when people give me grief that Schaumburg is "Chicago", and I'm too "sensitive" about "arbitrary borders", I can adapt and play by anyone's game.

I would much rather count what is officially in somewhere as "somewhere". If not, people can say Indianapolis is nothing but a one stop light town simply because they've visited Whitestown, or Monrovia.

Besides, that was the only company not headquartered inside Chicago city limits (although it is still serviced by the CTA).

The fact remains that South Bend is not Indianapolis. Anyone living in the backyard of the Irish has no business saying they're located in Indianapolis.
I was just busting your chops there. No need to rant. I get it.

REM

368 posts, read 995,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I.... Just.... um.....
Are you autistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
I hope you enjoy your ban!

Even self righteous indignation doesn't prevent you from facing the consequences of your actions!
/facepalm

Where is the mirror when you need it?
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis