Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

593 posts, read 890,563 times

Advertisements

If you were to draw a line from Indianola Indiana ,Europa and Indianola Missouri you will discover that they are right over the New Madrid fault . This semi-dormant fault (possibly associated with tremers in Illinois and Wisconsin) has the range that and debth that some say could literally split the US in half with the Mississipi widening 20-30 miles east and west from New Orleans to Central Wisconsin. The senario may involve the displacement of 1/3 of Lake Michigan water into the mix. This would leave Indiana,Illinois,Wisconsin, Missouri,and the Mississpi Valley flooded and Dams along this path would breach destroying New Orleans, This is something to digest and although mostly speculation I recommend "preparation" especially second floor food and water supplies and a "plan" for higher ground. What would precipitate this topography changing event is unknown although a shift in earths axis or plate techtonics might be the source. Do your own research. The government and clueless anti-bad things people will dilute this warning,but New Madrid is on the menu along with Yellowstones Culdera and the Canary Islands at Mt La Palma.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 04-19-2012 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: formating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
If you were to draw a line from Indianola Indiana ,Europa and Indianola Missouri you will discover that they are right over the New Madrid fault . This semi-dormant fault (possibly associated with tremers in Illinois and Wisconsin) has the range that and debth that some say could literally split the US in half with the Mississipi widening 20-30 miles east and west from New Orleans to Central Wisconsin. The senario may involve the displacement of 1/3 of Lake Michigan water into the mix. This would leave Indiana,Illinois,Wisconsin, Missouri,and the Mississpi Valley flooded and Dams along this path would breach destroying New Orleans, This is something to digest and although mostly speculation I recommend "preparation" especially second floor food and water supplies and a "plan" for higher ground. What would precipitate this topography changing event is unknown although a shift in earths axis or plate techtonics might be the source. Do your own research. The government and clueless anti-bad things people will dilute this warning,but New Madrid is on the menu along with Yellowstones Culdera and the Canary Islands at Mt La Palma.
Not only is the New Madrid fault a threat, so to is the Wabash Valley seismic zone. I think most people in Indiana and this part of the country is aware of this. Although, some think the New Madrid may be a dead fault with the Wabash Zone replacing it as the more active and dangerous fault.

I don't know about Indianapolis, but in Evansville they teach this in school and have an earthquake code for new buildings.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Yeah, I've often thought about this especially after how strong the last quake was that we had here 2-3 years ago (I think).... It may have been close to a 5 and I definitely felt it shake my whole house!

NPR had a very intersting segment on the increase in the number of earth quakes in the midwest a few weeks ago and they also touched on this subject.

It would be wise for homeowners to call their insurance agent and make sure earth quakes are covered under their policy. Most home policies in Indiana don't cover quakes. The cost to add quake coverage is between $100-$150 per year... with a 5% deductible.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
It would be wise for homeowners to call their insurance agent and make sure earth quakes are covered under their policy. Most home policies in Indiana don't cover quakes. The cost to add quake coverage is between $100-$150 per year... with a 5% deductible.
I pay $71.00 a year for $165K in coverage for the house, $115K for personal property, and $14K in other structures. There is a 2% deductible for each of those figures.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I pay $71.00 a year for $165K in coverage for the house, $115K for personal property, and $14K in other structures. There is a 2% deductible for each of those figures.
That's pretty good.... What company? I was quoted $131 a year with a 5% deductible from State Farm... They said 5% is the lowest they'll go.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
The threat must be real ...

Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
would love a cite to this scenario ...

Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 AM

344 posts, read 841,974 times
A website???
this has been allllllll over the web for at least 5 years. one could bury themselves in the youtube vids. there are tons of maps is the speculation of what the new usa will look like, split in half. not to mention the survival group boards for this online. i am well versed in the potential threats and where they lay, assuming things are reasonably survivable on this continent...geography, bodies of water, fema, nuclear plants, ELEvation etc....its all about south dakota
good luck

Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Know the basics of an earthquake and know what to do and youll be fine.
Get under something sturdy like a Table or Desk. Protect your head and ride it out.
Also FYI quite a few of the skyscrapers in Indy are built from Steel. Only the older buildings could be vulnerable and the One America Tower cause stone DOES NOT do well against Seismic waves.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Know the basics of an earthquake and know what to do and youll be fine.
Get under something sturdy like a Table or Desk. Protect your head and ride it out.
Also FYI quite a few of the skyscrapers in Indy are built from Steel. Only the older buildings could be vulnerable and the One America Tower cause stone DOES NOT do well against Seismic waves.
Actually, it all depends upon the building codes. Quake prone areas have structures built to withstand very strong earthquakes while those that are not may not be able to withstand something on order of an 8.0 quake unless the architect designed the building to handle something that strong. A structure built from steel is no guarantee that it can withstand a strong quake unless it is specifically designed in a manner to withstand a big one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis