Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
This is one of my biggest complaints! And to make it worse, the trucks drive 70-75 on the freeways; while the Troopers chase down a speeding car! Go figure More trucks jackknife here because they know they can speed with little enforcement, which leads to taking curves like they are driving a Ferrari.
Off topic, but -> yeah! I used to live in Lebanon & commute to Indy, but just knew that, with my hatred of commuting + the logarithmic increase in semis on I65, someone was likely to end up dead, and it would probably be me - from apoplexy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
This is one of my biggest complaints! And to make it worse, the trucks drive 70-75 on the freeways; while the Troopers chase down a speeding car! Go figure More trucks jackknife here because they know they can speed with little enforcement, which leads to taking curves like they are driving a Ferrari.

Semi traffic is heavy because this is the Crossroads of America.

Major interstates pass through, so we do have more than our fair share of semi trucks.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

Major interstates pass through, so we do have more than our fair share of semi trucks.
Im sure Indy having the worlds 2nd largest Fed Ex air shipping hub doesnt help

Old 08-12-2012, 10:50 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
What area would anyone recommend for a single 50 year old female, originally from WI, but who's been living in Florida for years?
I'm active and would prefer a downtown feel.
Any opinions?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What area would anyone recommend for a single 50 year old female, originally from WI, but who's been living in Florida for years?
I'm active and would prefer a downtown feel.
Any opinions?
You might consider looking in northeast part of downtown like Mass Ave, Lockerbie or St Joseph. They are within walking distance of downtown. Are you interesting in renting or owning? If renting, then Mass might be perfect for you since it has lots of shops, galleries and food joints.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
You might consider looking in northeast part of downtown like Mass Ave, Lockerbie or St Joseph. They are within walking distance of downtown. Are you interesting in renting or owning? If renting, then Mass might be perfect for you since it has lots of shops, galleries and food joints.
I'd rent initially.
Thank you so much!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

105 posts, read 145,366 times
Quote:

I have 18-wheeler phobia so that is going to be a drawback staying in Indy, but definitely not a dealbreaker as far as moving there .

Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM

41 posts, read 75,399 times
I live on the near South Side (just south of Fountain Square) - and work downtown. I hardly ever get on the interstates. I can be downtown using local streets in about seven or eight minutes. As my name indicates, I live in the Garfield Park neighborhood -- which is pretty nice -- and one that I would recommend for cfbs2691 if she is looking for an affordable area to live. It is near a beautiful, historic park with lots of amenities, has several nearby businesses (grocery, drug store, restaurants, bars, etc) and is only one mile from the fun of Fountain Square and two miles from the heart of downtown Indy. The neighborhood has good bus access and excellent biking connections linking it to Fountain Square, downtown and beyond.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Quote:

The trucks in Indy are no greater than the trucks seen on every other cities interstates.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM

140 posts, read 256,256 times
Okay...let ne dispell one notion right now.

As a) a current Indy resident of almost two years, a native Floridan at that, and b) one of those truck drivers some of you seem to despise so much, let me share this info with you: most fleets govern their trucks to 62 mph or less, as is the case with mine, so let's kill all the 70-75 hyperbole right now. Second, I see trucks pulled over consistwntly in and around the Indy area (not to mention the rest of Indiana, as the Indiana DOT and state police are one of the three strictest-enforcing units in the country, the other two being Ohio and Michigan.) And also, most people's fear of those big beasts is ignorance of the space required to operate our rigs...naturally, the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the blind spots (not to mention more of them), so remember that the next time you find yourself next to one...if you can't see the driver's mirrors, WE CAN'T SEE YOU...and I can't stress that one. Enough. If need be, take the next lane ovet instead of stomping on the accelerator as soon as you see a truck signal a lane change—in city environments, there's usually a very good reason for that...usually either to avoid being cut off by traffic merging onto the highway off the on-ramp, or because there's either a broken down vrhicle or police/public service vehicle on the shoulder, and in those situatioms, BY LAW we are required to move over or, if space doesn't permit, slow down.

Here's another thing I see all the time: care cutting off trucks (and other cars) trying to make that last-second jump to the exit ramp, or in busy traffic, just because there's a little space in front. Let me explain why big trucks leave that gap in front—and hopefully this next part will make people think twice before jumping in front of a semi on the highway, especially at speed: it takes about 450-500 feet for a fully-loaded 80,000 GWVR vehicle to come to a complete stop from 55 mph. The time equals out to about six seconds; the length equals out to about 1.5 football fields. Food for thought for while you're driving around and might think of making that last-second jump....and also, the average car weighs about 4400 pounds. Not going to win against 80,000 ( or more if you find yourself in Michigan or up on the 80/90 toll road).

Now, in having said all that, I'll also say this: we truck drivers all have the actual title "Professional Driver"; unfortunately, a good chunk damn sure don't act like it, and I encounter those a**jacks daily, as well. So I don't want it to seem like Drivers are never at fault because sometimes they are. But I can assure you that with me oersonally, I'm looking out for y'all (along with everything else we're trained to see); all I ask is that you do the same for us. That's all.

(Sorru for sliding off-track there; just felt I needed to get this out there. Carry on.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis