Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
Okay...let ne dispell one notion right now.

As a) a current Indy resident of almost two years, a native Floridan at that, and b) one of those truck drivers some of you seem to despise so much, let me share this info with you: most fleets govern their trucks to 62 mph or less, as is the case with mine, so let's kill all the 70-75 hyperbole right now. Second, I see trucks pulled over consistwntly in and around the Indy area (not to mention the rest of Indiana, as the Indiana DOT and state police are one of the three strictest-enforcing units in the country, the other two being Ohio and Michigan.) And also, most people's fear of those big beasts is ignorance of the space required to operate our rigs...naturally, the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the blind spots (not to mention more of them), so remember that the next time you find yourself next to one...if you can't see the driver's mirrors, WE CAN'T SEE YOU...and I can't stress that one. Enough. If need be, take the next lane ovet instead of stomping on the accelerator as soon as you see a truck signal a lane change—in city environments, there's usually a very good reason for that...usually either to avoid being cut off by traffic merging onto the highway off the on-ramp, or because there's either a broken down vrhicle or police/public service vehicle on the shoulder, and in those situatioms, BY LAW we are required to move over or, if space doesn't permit, slow down.

Here's another thing I see all the time: care cutting off trucks (and other cars) trying to make that last-second jump to the exit ramp, or in busy traffic, just because there's a little space in front. Let me explain why big trucks leave that gap in front—and hopefully this next part will make people think twice before jumping in front of a semi on the highway, especially at speed: it takes about 450-500 feet for a fully-loaded 80,000 GWVR vehicle to come to a complete stop from 55 mph. The time equals out to about six seconds; the length equals out to about 1.5 football fields. Food for thought for while you're driving around and might think of making that last-second jump....and also, the average car weighs about 4400 pounds. Not going to win against 80,000 ( or more if you find yourself in Michigan or up on the 80/90 toll road).

Now, in having said all that, I'll also say this: we truck drivers all have the actual title "Professional Driver"; unfortunately, a good chunk damn sure don't act like it, and I encounter those a**jacks daily, as well. So I don't want it to seem like Drivers are never at fault because sometimes they are. But I can assure you that with me oersonally, I'm looking out for y'all (along with everything else we're trained to see); all I ask is that you do the same for us. That's all.

(Sorru for sliding off-track there; just felt I needed to get this out there. Carry on.)
Good post. I was going to ask the previous poster for evidence of more jack-knifed trucks in Indiana than elsewhere since it seemed to be an off the cuff, subjective opinion and certainly not a fact.
I hear you regarding IN DOT regulations. I have to have a DOT physical on file and the certification card with me when I drive our companies box truck. I also have to keep a log and do daily vehicle inspections-something a person renting the identical trcuk from U-haul certainly doesn't have to do. And regarding speeds, I would rather have trucks driving closer to my passenger car speed than 10 or 15 MPH slower because it makes for better and safer conditions and prevents those long "Conga Lines" form forming where, as you called them, a**jacks use the right lane to bypass the vehicles waiting in the left lane to pass and dangerously squeeze in or cut off a driver to get in the front and save a whopping 3-7 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 21,517 times
I am going to interject again - I saw on this thread that Garfield park (south and a little west of downtown?) was mentioned as a nicer place to live, my curiosity is piqued - so, naturally, I looked at property and I noticed that prices to buy in this area are disproportionately low compared to the northern and western suburbs - can someone explain to me why? Is this an area currently undergoing a mass exodus (I noticed alot of foreclosed property.) - or is a little less safe?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepergola View Post
I am going to interject again - I saw on this thread that Garfield park (south and a little west of downtown?) was mentioned as a nicer place to live, my curiosity is piqued - so, naturally, I looked at property and I noticed that prices to buy in this area are disproportionately low compared to the northern and western suburbs - can someone explain to me why? Is this an area currently undergoing a mass exodus (I noticed alot of foreclosed property.) - or is a little less safe?
Garfield Park is an excellent choice if you want a quiet neighborhood in the city. I would be interested to see what data you are using to say there is a lot of foreclosed of property in the neighborhood. I don't live their, though I did some house shopping there last year. I don't remember an abnormal amount of foreclosed property.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Quote:

As a) a current Indy resident of almost two years, a native Floridan at that, and b) one of those truck drivers some of you seem to despise so much, let me share this info with you: most fleets govern their trucks to 62 mph or less, as is the case with mine, so let's kill all the 70-75 hyperbole right now. Second, I see trucks pulled over consistwntly in and around the Indy area (not to mention the rest of Indiana, as the Indiana DOT and state police are one of the three strictest-enforcing units in the country, the other two being Ohio and Michigan.) And also, most people's fear of those big beasts is ignorance of the space required to operate our rigs...naturally, the bigger the vehicle, the bigger the blind spots (not to mention more of them), so remember that the next time you find yourself next to one...if you can't see the driver's mirrors, WE CAN'T SEE YOU...and I can't stress that one. Enough. If need be, take the next lane ovet instead of stomping on the accelerator as soon as you see a truck signal a lane change—in city environments, there's usually a very good reason for that...usually either to avoid being cut off by traffic merging onto the highway off the on-ramp, or because there's either a broken down vrhicle or police/public service vehicle on the shoulder, and in those situatioms, BY LAW we are required to move over or, if space doesn't permit, slow down.

Here's another thing I see all the time: care cutting off trucks (and other cars) trying to make that last-second jump to the exit ramp, or in busy traffic, just because there's a little space in front. Let me explain why big trucks leave that gap in front—and hopefully this next part will make people think twice before jumping in front of a semi on the highway, especially at speed: it takes about 450-500 feet for a fully-loaded 80,000 GWVR vehicle to come to a complete stop from 55 mph. The time equals out to about six seconds; the length equals out to about 1.5 football fields. Food for thought for while you're driving around and might think of making that last-second jump....and also, the average car weighs about 4400 pounds. Not going to win against 80,000 ( or more if you find yourself in Michigan or up on the 80/90 toll road).

Now, in having said all that, I'll also say this: we truck drivers all have the actual title "Professional Driver"; unfortunately, a good chunk damn sure don't act like it, and I encounter those a**jacks daily, as well. So I don't want it to seem like Drivers are never at fault because sometimes they are. But I can assure you that with me oersonally, I'm looking out for y'all (along with everything else we're trained to see); all I ask is that you do the same for us. That's all.

(Sorru for sliding off-track there; just felt I needed to get this out there. Carry on.)
Great factual points, 850. It's like having the expectation for a freight train to stop in time when someone suddenly stopped on the tracks while sending that last text message.

850 is right though. I wish my truck could do 70-75 sometimes but our ticket would be much more expensive than the average Joe 4 wheeler especially if I were loaded with hazmat which I do carry from time to time. Plus my job would be on the line. I would have to say since I started trucking I have become a much safer driver with more increased awareness. I have to admit I use to hate being next to trucks when I was younger but I have a lot more respect and understanding for what they have to deal with. I know I'm one of them now.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepergola View Post
Thanks for all of the insight guys. One more question, for those who live in suburbia, how is the commute to work if you work in the city? I believe Indianapolis has a beltway system, right? There's nothing like that around here (too forested, hilly and poorly laid out for such a thing). Is it easy to commute inwards and outwards as needed? Or is it as bad as somewhere like Atlanta which can take upwards of an hour in and out just to go a few miles.

Also, how is public transportation? Do you have a subway or rail system, or do you rely on bus/taxi to get around if you have no vehicle? I fully intend on bringing two cars with me, but I am mostly curious.
Since you mentioned being from Connecticut I do drive through there from time to time. Indianapolis is pretty reasonable. It's not extreme like Atlanta (use to live there). Some what in mild zone like Hartford traffic but not the kind of long back ups you suffer from between Stamford and New Haven with only 3 lanes most of the way. Even though Indy may not have a subway system the quality of roads and some of the newest highway up grades in the nation sure makes up for it. Also most drivers are polite here unless it has an Illinois plate on the back with a Chicago Bulls bumper sticker.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:

I'm NOT buying what you're trying to sell
I constantly see trucks doing well over the speed limit, it may be owner operators; whatever. Yes there are some 4 wheelers that act stupid; but from what I've seen some truckers are some of the worst and careless drivers there are!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'm NOT buying what you're trying to sell
I constantly see trucks doing well over the speed limit, it may be owner operators; whatever. Yes there are some 4 wheelers that act stupid; but from what I've seen some truckers are some of the worst and careless drivers there are!
Yes, you are right in saying that there are "some" careless truck drivers out there but not all of them drive like that. You have to keep in mind though that the 4 wheeler people who never driven trucks don't have the same perspective of how different a truck operates especially the larger amount of space management it requires. We have a lot more obstacles to look for like height clearances, weight restricted bridges, following other sign restrictions (hazmat and other routes) for trucks only, stopping distance, etc. I could go on and on but compared to us 4 wheelers have it easy not to worry about these things. I use to be one of those 4 wheelers who complained about trucks but you have to drive one to understand how they operate (and no I don't mean the ones who drive over the speed limit.) The spacial relationships are so much different with a truck than a just a car. A much different animal. I driven a tank while in the Army and that operates different than a truck. Just like when I use to ride my motorcycle. Don't think that just because a truck is in the middle lane he is trying to hog up the road. There's a practical reason for that to prevent from running cars off into the emergency lane while trying to enter the highway from an exit. Unless we are exiting we try to avoid the slow lane with merging traffic from exits since we are limited on stopping distance and space. You may have another truck trying to enter the highway from an exit. We try to avoid that part of the lane when possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis