Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM

82 posts, read 178,854 times

Advertisements

[quote=CoonMoon;31610222]
IL and MI are moving forward on medical marijuana but Indiana is actually going backwards. If I read correctly, Gov Pence signed for harsher marijuana penalties earlier this year. Purdue makes oxy and lots of other drugs come from Indiana but that's not an excuse for punishing people with legitimate illnesses who can benefit from marijuana. With such filthy air, Hoosiers are likely to develop cancer and other illnesses but state leaders don't give a damn.

I have to say, if IN moves forward with allowing medical marijuana, I will never move there. We plan on moving to Indianapolis next summer. One of the things we looked at was this issue specifically. These people with legitimate issues have other options than just marijuana. And I think it is more important to realize that allowing its use medically will just create more corruptness....people will lie and say they NEED it, get a prescription just to make even more money off of it.
Also, it is so easy to get a prescription for it....even without having a real medical reason for it. A friends ex told her 12 year old daughter that if she and her friends wanted a good time to let him know...because he has an RX. He lost his foot 2 years ago. Terminally ill? I think not. Oh and if you are worried about pollution. ...wouldn't allowing smoking weed be even more pollution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,230,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
If you ask a local, yes, the Indy traffic is the worst traffic on earth.

Ask anyone who has lived in a major city? Indianapolis traffic is a joke. The one thing that makes me crazy is that there will be a long line of traffic and as you creep up onto the problem, it's somebody changing a tire on the side of the road. My husband and I crack that everyone needs to make sure it's not their cousin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Rubberneckers are a huge problem here in Hampton Roads as well. Funny how something as simple as changing a tire on the side of the road can create a 15 minute delay in traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I've driven a semi truck to all states except for Nevada, Maine and North Dakota. No thanks, LA can keep their congestion over there. They only have one rush hour....it's all day. Indy is pretty reasonable compared to all the other major cities I've ran. I can't wait for the I-69 extension from Evansville to be completed. My favorite stretch of freeway is the super I-70 that runs south along the airport. It reminds me of those big Texas size freeways several lanes across. (with less traffic hint hint)
Whenever we go there I don't think the traffic (465) is bad at all. Been to many major cities and Indy is
pretty tame. The "gapers block"- slowing down of traffic to look, happens in every city. The only
negative I have to say is that circular freeway (465), for me it's confusing.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,017,173 times
Naptown doesn't have traffic. Next question.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM

48 posts, read 184,268 times

Old 10-22-2013, 04:06 PM

48 posts, read 184,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
If you ask a local, yes, the Indy traffic is the worst traffic on earth.

Ask anyone who has lived in a major city? Indianapolis traffic is a joke. The one thing that makes me crazy is that there will be a long line of traffic and as you creep up onto the problem, it's somebody changing a tire on the side of the road. My husband and I crack that everyone needs to make sure it's not their cousin.
I lived in California Bay Area for 9 years and they have a "Lookie Loo" law. It's their wording for "rubber necking." It is actually in the driver's license handbook. You can get a ticket for slowing down on the freeway to get a look at what's happening in the slow lane or shoulder.

A few years ago, my son-in-law got a couple of speeding tickets in about a ten month period and received a letter from the state of California basically saying, Dear Mr. Blah Blah, you are a terrible driver. You need to knock it off!" He's gotten 2 now.

I so wish I had a copy of the letter to scan and post. You would not believe it. It was really quite funny.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Well, I've been here for a month now and I have to disagree with the naysayers in this message string. Indy is far from a lousy place to live or work. I recognized that 20 years ago when I spent a 6 month stay here in a temp office job. If anything it has improved since that time. Downtown is impressive. Very clean and lively and easy to navigate. Parking is the only complaint that I have. Can't find it. Hope to avoid going there unless I take a bus. The highways are vastly superior to those in KC. These are very well designed and engineered and can handle a lot of traffic. Tie ups are not that bad and about the same as you find in KC. People here do drive better overall and I am finding that I am having about a quarter of the problems with troublesome drivers when comparing them to KC. I don't get harassed, threatened and have not been stalked here like in KC. And I don't have guys hitting on me here like in KC either. Apparently the people here have enough sense to figure out I am a heterosexual. In KC, many were not that bright.

Different strokes for different folks. If I had to spend the rest of my life in a community within a 50 mile radius of Indianapolis, I would hardly be dissatisfied. It's still OK in my book.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,914 times
Pence has actually closed his entire office for out of office meetings. I have NEVER heard of such outrageous abuse of government and disrespect for his constituents. No government office should ever close or be left unmanned. I also feel that government offices should not have voicemail either. It's not like they are soooo busy that they don't have the time to answer the phone. We all can see this when visiting certain government offices.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoonMoon View Post
[snip long bash of IND and IN]I see many city and state accounting jobs offering $13/hr! These jobs also require a bachelor degree WTF?! I realize cost of living is low here but I didn't graduate from college to earn *****ing $13/hr!

Can someone explain to me why Indiana likes being stupid?
You could move to a liberal state where a one-bedroom condo will cost you $500,000. With your attitude you'll still make $13 an hour, but at least you'll be surrounded by people who you think aren't stupid.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,272,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Well, I've been here for a month now and I have to disagree with the naysayers in this message string. Indy is far from a lousy place to live or work. I recognized that 20 years ago when I spent a 6 month stay here in a temp office job. If anything it has improved since that time. Downtown is impressive. Very clean and lively and easy to navigate. Parking is the only complaint that I have. Can't find it. Hope to avoid going there unless I take a bus. The highways are vastly superior to those in KC. These are very well designed and engineered and can handle a lot of traffic. Tie ups are not that bad and about the same as you find in KC. People here do drive better overall and I am finding that I am having about a quarter of the problems with troublesome drivers when comparing them to KC. I don't get harassed, threatened and have not been stalked here like in KC. And I don't have guys hitting on me here like in KC either. Apparently the people here have enough sense to figure out I am a heterosexual. In KC, many were not that bright.

Different strokes for different folks. If I had to spend the rest of my life in a community within a 50 mile radius of Indianapolis, I would hardly be dissatisfied. It's still OK in my book.
Just curious, where do you have trouble finding a place to park? I can't speak for all neighborhoods but at least as far as downtown goes I've never had trouble finding a place to park. If anything, downtown has too much parking (thus it's so cheap and mass transit has never taken off here).

Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM

39 posts, read 57,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Booster alert!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis