Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

My friends daughter is relocating to Indy for a job and keeps hearing about the horrendous crime. Granted she grew up in small towns, but is thinking she'll need to carry a gun to protect herself. I've referred her to C-D and would like to hear from actual residents what their feelings are. She's not an air head, will be aware of her surroundings and situations. When she talks about it, sounds like Gary not Indy and surely it's not that bad.

any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
My friends daughter is relocating to Indy for a job and keeps hearing about the horrendous crime. Granted she grew up in small towns, but is thinking she'll need to carry a gun to protect herself. I've referred her to C-D and would like to hear from actual residents what their feelings are. She's not an air head, will be aware of her surroundings and situations. When she talks about it, sounds like Gary not Indy and surely it's not that bad.

any help?
Compared to small town, of course the crime rate is higher....larger population = more crime generally. But by city standards, Indy as about as safe as they come. There are some bad parts to look out for, but if she is not an"airhead", as you put it, she shouldn't have a problem spotting the nice areas from the bad areas.

I think it is a good idea for a young woman to carry mace or some sort of personal protection (a fire arm might be ab it drastic, and problematic if she does not know how to use it comfortably / safely) crime can happen anywhere.

I would not be worried about her move here.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 PM
dru

31 posts, read 288,442 times
Quote:

any help?
You're right. Indy is not that bad and not like Gary. She won't need a gun, just common sense and awareness. I live downtown and many of my single, female neighbors and classmates don't feel the need for firearms.

Like ImGibby said, she won't have problems determining good vs bad areas. The forum has already mentioned a few "bad" areas in Indy, but what city doesn't have those. I've lived in NY/NJ and Chicago and I feel relatively safest in Indy.

I've also lived in a very small town in Southeastern Indiana, so I understand her concern about moving to the city. Just tell her to keep in mind that people and the evening news will talk more about crime and less about how safe a city actually is.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
It's a safe city. What side is she moving on? I would say just about all of the northside is safe, the west side is too but they have a few bad areas, on the eastside the closer you get to downtown the worse it is. I live on the far eastside and it's not very bad. I don't really know about southside but from what i think it's the worst side of town until you get to greenwood. The downtown region is safe but like the westside it has its parts. But if you don't live downtown you're most likely only going to be around the financial district so it's ok.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM

70 posts, read 406,820 times
I'd recommend any woman carry a can of mace, even mail carriers do, but never a gun. Some NRA lover is going to jump in and argue with me on this, but statistics show that if a person carries a gun, there chances of being involved in a violent crime goes through the roof.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:40 AM

172 posts, read 512,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler73 View Post
... but never a gun. Some NRA lover is going to jump in and argue with me on this, but statistics show that if a person carries a gun, there chances of being involved in a violent crime goes through the roof.
That's a lot of hog wash and you know it! Your statistics live in your hat. Carrying a firearm is not about whether YOU think it's reasonable to do so or not. And as for your 'baiting', it's an old trick intended to create dicension and breed mistrust - especially here, on an internet BB. You're a dolt for pulling that kind of nonsense. You should be ashamed of yourself!

As far as answering littlelou's question, if the friend's daughter feels she should carry a weapon for her personal security, it's her right to do so, whether or not any statistics say she should. It's called the Constitution of The United States. The 2nd Amendment as a matter of fact. Look it up.

littlelou, carrying mace or some other non-lethal device is certainly the very least a female should carry for self protection. ANY female. I don't care where she lives. And, from your question, it has evidently already been discussed by the family, so I feel it's probably a good decision for her to go ahead and purchase a gun.

My advice is to purchase a firearm that she is comfortable with, one that fits in her hand comfortably, then get some professional training on how the use it, and carry it in her purse or elsewhere on her person.

When she gets here, have her stop in her local Police Dept. and apply for a gun permit. She needs to be legal. It takes 4-6 weeks for the permit to get thru the system and get back to her.

Don't fall for this nonsense that "this is a safe area', or 'that is a safe area'. Banks get robbed every day. People get robbed every day. A young woman in a new city has "I don't know where I'm at' written all over her face.

There have been several shootings in the news lately and every one of them has been carried out in a 'gun free zone'. The Bad Guys know that there will be no one there with a weapon. They've been shooting people like 'shooting fish in a barell'.

How long does it take for the police to arrive in that kind of situation? Who will protect her until they get there?

Don't allow her to be a victim.

And when she purchases the firearm , have her join the NRA. They fight for our rights against the anti-gun crowd and mis-informed people like the previous poster.

It is her right to carry a weapon. Be prepared. Be vigilant. Be safe. Be armed.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 AM

33 posts, read 118,223 times
I feel sorry for her if she's moving to Indy. The idiot previous mayor has pretty well decimated the police, fire and schools. The idiot current governor campaigned on "balancing the state budget," but he never told us his plan was to tax us to complete poverty.

But hey, if she'd loking for a small, affordable house in a (so far) low crime area, and one that still (at least for the moment) has low property taxes, tell her to look me up. As soon as my wife graduates nursing school, we're grabbing a lifeboat and getting off of the sinking ship that is Indiana

Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:

any help?
Carry a gun?? Is she moving to Baghdad or Indy? You don't need to carry a gun to be safe in Indy as long as you don't hang with the wrong crowd and are street smart and aware of your surroundings and don't end up living in the wrong area.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
...c-ya...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
The only time I felt like I would need to purchase or carry a gun was when I almost went to grad school in Detroit (IU came to my rescue!). Even living in various neighborhoods in Chicago, I never felt like I'd be safer with a gun.

That being said, it's a personal choice to own a gun, but with it comes huge responsibility to take classes on how to operate and when to operate it SAFELY. But again, I won't say that she should get a gun. It's a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis