Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 02:51 PM

99 posts, read 58,325 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...-you-hate.html

I can def relate to this old thread about okc

Old 02-07-2024, 03:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1234 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...-you-hate.html

I can def relate to this old thread about okc
Then you should take the advice given there.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM

51 posts, read 11,776 times
Quote:
My point is I didn’t see any actual people

Was at the Dentist this morning and he asked about how I came from Florida. He asked if I liked it and I said I didn’t and he laughed and said he didn’t either. I said it seems like there was low state pride here which the moderator said and he and the hygienist both thought that was hilarious
I think you just made that story up. You didn’t talk to a dentist about how you like it here. It’s like you’re always meeting somebody here that’s as miserable as you are. How about this, I live not far from Joey Chesnut the hotdog and food eating champion who moved here from California, the other sunshine state and he says he loves it here and would never go back to California. My co worker is from Miami and said she would never move back and moving to Indy was the best decision she made for her and her family. Yeah they miss the weather and beaches but the money they’re saving and the price of living is no comparison. What’s the dentist name you claim you had a discussion with and he said he hate it here like you? I want to verify it for myself. I just drive past Gainbridge and rode around downtown and there’s plenty of people out by the way. I can’t say the same for Louisville’s downturn. Now there’s news of Humana vacating it’s downtown tower. Louisville office vacancy was already over 20%. The mayor is on the local news talking about how this will further hurt an already struggling downtown Louisville and business there.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:01 PM

51 posts, read 11,776 times
Quote:
My point is I didn’t see any actual people

Was at the Dentist this morning and he asked about how I came from Florida. He asked if I liked it and I said I didn’t and he laughed and said he didn’t either. I said it seems like there was low state pride here which the moderator said and he and the hygienist both thought that was hilarious
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...y/72395744007/

Old 02-07-2024, 04:15 PM

Aspen dental on East 82nd street. Thanks to the mod for giving me a funny joke. It’s not like I attract negative people since that was literally who was at the dentist

Maybe Indy’s downtown is better but Louisville just has more character. I’ll take a poor man’s Nashville over blah for sure, regardless of the GDP or what some article says

Old 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I will allow that Louisville has some amazing architecture in the Highlands, Old Louisville, and downtown which Indianapolis probably lacks, if that's your thing. The Olmstead parks are also beautiful. It feels almost like a mini-NYC to me (not to further encourage the OP).

Old 02-07-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I will allow that Louisville has some amazing architecture in the Highlands, Old Louisville, and downtown which Indianapolis probably lacks, if that's your thing. The Olmstead parks are also beautiful. It feels almost like a mini-NYC to me (not to further encourage the OP).
Yes if you drive through Indy so much of the buildings are this uninspiring brownsist brick/grey concrete from 1960s-1970s. If it were older and more distinct or newer it would seem less depressing.

If mass Ave consisted of newer buildings instead of this style of architecture mentioned above it would be a lot more appealing IMO. The new constructions seems to be more focused on the suburbs

Last edited by baller1234; 02-07-2024 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 05:31 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
Quote:
Yes if you drive through Indy so much of the buildings are this uninspiring brownsist brick/grey concrete from 1960s-1970s. If it were older and more distinct or newer it would seem less depressing.

If mass Ave consisted of newer buildings instead of this style of architecture mentioned above it would be a lot more appealing IMO. The new constructions seems to be more focused on the suburbs
Where are you driving? How's about down Pennsylvania Ave., where you will pass the John Herron Art Museum and the beautiful old high-rise apartment buildings like the Piccadilly?

What about the beautiful plaza north of downtown with the War Memorial or the Scottish Rite Cathedral?

Ever walk along the canal by Butler University or the Art Museum?

There are so many beautiful places and buildings in Indianapolis. I'm not sure we're talking about the same place.

RM

Old 02-07-2024, 07:13 PM

I think the architecture on Delaware street is very blah if you are heading away from city way and last the mass Ave area. That and a lot of meridian street is mainly the style I mean. I’m not sure if meridian street is the hood but it also doesn’t look like the nicest area of town to me so maybe not the best example. You are right about the monuments being good architecturally.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:52 PM

174 posts, read 244,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody0397 View Post
IUPUI has split and now IU and Purdue both will have separate campuses downtown indy. Not sure if you rode around lately but all down 10th street past 16 tech to 16th st has plenty of housing. The IUPUI campus was never meant to be like the campuses at IU Bloomington or Purdue campus in West Lafayette. I’ve been to Louisville campus and it’s about as exciting as IUPUI campus was. The point is that by splitting IUPUI into two separate entities it’s meant to deal with producing talent for indiana’s tech scene. The state has come up with a plan to work with both schools to provide a pipeline of talent to fill high paying jobs and to lure companies to the Indy metro. There’s no need for sports because that’s what IU Bloomington and West Lafayette Purdue is for.
Yes I know about the split, thus the IUI reference (Indiana University Indianapolis) instead of IUPUI. My wife worked in that area forever at the VA and have friends who currently work at IUI. It has made huge progress in bringing in more housing and other enticements. No argument from me.

My comments strictly address OPs perception of lack of vibe/party/business to downtown Indy (which I disagree with) and his comparison to Austin and Nashville. I was merely explaining why the college vibe/scene downtown is not the same as those locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis