Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,570 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have been offered a terrific job in downtown Indy and will be moving there this summer. I am looking for advice on good places to live. I currently live in suburban Chicago...I like the proximity to the city but I've never been one to live IN the city...I like being able to drive to the grocery store! But I like to live somewhere where there is some activity and things to do...I like to run, bike, etc, so some good running paths would be great, along with some fun things to do at night. I am well past the bar-scene part of my life, but like going out and doing things. If you know suburban Chicago at all, I am looking for the Oak Park of Indy!! Can anybody help?

I am 38 and female, so safety is a major concern. I would start with an apartment and could go up to $800/month. I would like the shortest commute to work possible, so if there are places in the city that have more of a neighborhood feel, I would be open to those as well. I've also heard good things about Carmel and Avon...any advice?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Carmel and Avon definitely don't have the same vibe as Oak Park. Oak Park always seemed to be more urban/suburban to me. Carmel and Avon, in my opinion, are very suburban if that makes sense. They are similar to Naperville or Orland Park(Carmel) and perhaps Plainfield, IL (Avon) or South Elgin. Think farther out, newer suburbs of Chicago to get an idea.

It's been a very long time since I lived in Indianapolis, and even then it was for a short time. My best guess is the Broad Ripple area. I'm sure others will be able to provide you with some similar, and maybe better, neighborhood suggestions.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
If you want Oak Park-ish .. Broad Ripple would be it.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
The short commute limits you and there is nothing wrong with that. Broad Ripple area will have everything you need. Fitness, library, organics, farmers market, French bakery, coffee houses (more than Starbucks), park, art fair, art league, doctors of various kinds, Target, Macys, specialty hardware, Lowes, movies, grocery stores of various kinds, Monon Trail, lots of summer things like Broad Ripple Art Fair, etc. All these are within a very very short drive or a walk. Lots of young people walking around and enjoying the area.

Check out the condos at about 54th and College. New Fresh Market just opening June 25th in the next block. I would live there in a heartbeat. Drive to work about 15 minutes and bus available. I lived around that area for 20 years and we are there for the above mentioned items. Right now we live downtown and enjoy it. We can get to any side of town for activities quickly and easily. We can walk downtown for what is there and we can enjoy the new library. We live in a historic neightborhood and have an association meeting every month to meet the neighbors and get involved. Nice. But beware that some, not all, of the new construction. It has gone up fast and dirty and some buildings are having issues.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,570 times
Thank you so much guys! It seems like Broad Ripple is where I should concentrate my search. Anybody know any particularly good apartment complexes in Broad Ripple? I would love to have a washer/dryer in unit, and a pool, but all that is negotiable. I would do a one bedroom, up to $750/$800 in rent.

What do you all know about the Old Northside? Is that a good place to live given what I am looking for?

I really appreciate everybody's help. I'm glad I found this website!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 52,835 times
Granted it's been 11 years since I've lived in Indy, so I may not know... but, isn't Broad Ripple more of a college, party, bar-scene vibe? I have good friends who live in Oak Park, so I know it well. I wouldn't lump BR and OP into the same category at all. JMO.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscney View Post
Granted it's been 11 years since I've lived in Indy, so I may not know... but, isn't Broad Ripple more of a college, party, bar-scene vibe? I have good friends who live in Oak Park, so I know it well. I wouldn't lump BR and OP into the same category at all. JMO.
I wouldn't either, but it's as close to OP as you can get in Indianapolis, get my drift??

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,510 times
do not moved to Indy unless you are Nuts all neighborhoods are Bad......................................

Not a good City to live In...unless you have no where else to Go.........................

Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby44 View Post
do not moved to Indy unless you are Nuts all neighborhoods are Bad......................................

Not a good City to live In...unless you have no where else to Go.........................
Well this is very insightful.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,388 times
Default from chicago

I was thinking about moving down to indy from chicago but where would i find the HYDE PARK if indy I like the city life ,food, shopping malls,but without alot of crime i know its everywhere but in hyde park u rarely ever hear about it. its costly to live there but the view of the lake is wonderful can anyone help me out or should i say where dont i want to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis