Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,434 times

Advertisements

I get the feeling 38th st is the big red line. Im looking into a rental property west of meridian and north of 38th on graceland. I have several friends who live a few blocks closer to the butler area and have no complaints. I don't worry as much about myself as I do my fiancee. Is this an area where i can expect to feel unsafe walking at night/day. Should I expect a fair amount of crime on my street? I know the preventitive measures if I decide to move here. House has a security system, I have a guard dog, locked windows, blinds, etc etc. Hamilton county crazies for parents have me 2nd guessing my self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santhony8484 View Post
I get the feeling 38th st is the big red line. Im looking into a rental property west of meridian and north of 38th on graceland. I have several friends who live a few blocks closer to the butler area and have no complaints. I don't worry as much about myself as I do my fiancee. Is this an area where i can expect to feel unsafe walking at night/day. Should I expect a fair amount of crime on my street? I know the preventitive measures if I decide to move here. House has a security system, I have a guard dog, locked windows, blinds, etc etc.
You are better off a couple blocks removed from 38th Street; but that is a good neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhony8484 View Post
Hamilton county crazies for parents have me 2nd guessing my self.
Those pesky HamCo people think everything south of 96th Street is comparable to the inner most slums of Detroit.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM

53 posts, read 134,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You are better off a couple blocks removed from 38th Street; but that is a good neighborhood.

Those pesky HamCo people think everything south of 96th Street is comparable to the inner most slums of Detroit.
For those looking at Butler Tarkington, I'd mostly recommend staying on 43rd street or anywhere north of it. If you are looking around 43rd, Berkley, 44th, Hampton, etc., try to stay closer to Meridian if you can. There are quite a few rentals on the blocks of those streets just south of campus, and not all of them are well kept. If the buyer's budget is <$100k, then south of 42nd is probably all you'll find for the most part. If that's the case, I'd much rather be in Butler Tarkington than in comparable-ish neighborhoods east of College Avenue and especially east of the Monon. The Butler Tarkington Neighborhood Association is very active and the cemetery on the south side of 38th street, coupled with the lack of commercial properties between Illinois and Michigan, sort of creates a buffer from junk spilling up from south of 38th.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM

8 posts, read 29,058 times
Default imagine charter school on Mitthoerfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
I live on the "scarey" east side , washington and post in an older neighborhood, borders are franklin to post and 10th to washington to give an idea of where i live. I'd like to let everyone know that i got a fantastic education from warren centeral high school, graduated core 40 in 2005 the only credit away i was from an honors diploma was spanish 3-4. I took calculus, pre calculus, physics, advanced english for all four years, i was in the academy of finance program, we have walkers career center. Obviously great sports programs, performing arts, and many other choices, opportunities for everyone to do something that fits what they need to learn. And the teachers were top tier. When i was in school i lived at 16th and post, i spent the first 10 years of my life at 30th and mitthoffer. I've heard people call all of these places horrible, they are not. Now if you are scared of living next to any black people or hispanic then maybe its a problem but i hate to break peoples hearts but most of the kids and young adults you see walking around looking thuggish and what not, they're paretns usually do work,and worked hard to be able to afford a house in some of these middle class neighborhoods, and then what happens is when they buy the house, the white neighbors see soemthing different get scared sell house and leave, then the property value goes down. There is a real sense of superiority from the rest of the city to the eastside and while ill admit that some of the areas arent great its alot less than people really want to say, the only areas i really wouldnt think i'd be able to be ok would be from 38th to 42nd between post and mitthoffer and picking back up past franklin and shadeland again all the way until college, but that area is and has been bad for a lot longer than what people say the whole east side is. Also washington but only from college to emerson if that maybe closer to sherman. And brookside, brightwood, areas and 10th and arlington to college or meridian also. But from brookville on south to 30-34th north and from german church all the way to emerson or arlington is not gonna be that terrible. It kills me people have such a low opinion of this side of town, and therefore that makes everyone who would visit or think about moving to the east side have bad thought, i say about the eastside at least we have a mix of people living together and not just all one color. But i think really thats why some people are scared.

Do you know anything about the Imagine charter school on Mitthoefer?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 35,298 times
If you think murders alone make an area more dangerous then the 38th corridor is probably the winner. Brightwood is bad but its also half empty now, pretty much all abandoned houses. Riverside is pretty bad, haughville, stringtown, 60th & michigan rd, fountain square, near north side, linwood, twin aire, mars hill, post rd etc.... The meadows are pretty much all gone except the phoenix apts and the new place at 38th and sherman. theres alot of public housing on the south side, not as much as there used to be but theres still a few here and there
As far as crime and other violent crimes you have a slight risk (i'd guess) 60% of areas inside 465 and a couple spots outside mainly 42nd and post/mitthoeffer/franklin rd area.
Pike township is getting there, i read somewhere in this thread about the "mcmansions" not really mansions but bigger 3-4 br homes in the burbs. theres been alot of crime especially along michigan and georgetown roads in the houses and apartments. We lived in carlton apts for 2 years and heard gun shots on multiple occasions. There was a shoot out and rape within that time, both made it on the news, way up on 79th and township line road, ditch road too.

If you're not into that kind of thing but want to live in town try beech grove, speedway, downtown is great, just about anywhere on meridian st. NORTH of downtown, meridian kessler, alot more just have to look around and judge the area. irvington is coming back, 16th/meridian area, 16th and college (kind of) alot of the once worse areas near downtown would be worth investing and sticking it out IMO

Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, it just gets tiresome hearing people who have never been to my neighborhood tell me how dangerous my neighborhood is; and I am not really talking about you specifically.
I've been to your neighborhood a bunch, its got it's pro's like the actual fountain square. kinda hipster artsy but great food; red lion grog house is great, smokehouse, siam sq etc... but head down prospect, or just off shelby, its straight ghetto buddy, not so much murders but everything else DRUGS, prostitution, fights.. matter of fact you had 2 homicides this year if im not mistaken. i had a friend lived on ringold over next to the police station, ghetto, i know the people in that giant castle lookin house back in the corner between shelby and 65 off orange st.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppe View Post
I've been to your neighborhood a bunch, its got it's pro's like the actual fountain square. kinda hipster artsy but great food; red lion grog house is great, smokehouse, siam sq etc... but head down prospect, or just off shelby, its straight ghetto buddy, not so much murders but everything else DRUGS, prostitution, fights.. matter of fact you had 2 homicides this year if im not mistaken. i had a friend lived on ringold over next to the police station, ghetto, i know the people in that giant castle lookin house back in the corner between shelby and 65 off orange st.
I have visited and lived in areas that are "straight ghetto." Fountain Square is not "straight ghetto." Some people visit the neighborhood and think it is scary, and they run back to Clermont or Fishers with their tail tucked between their legs crying; others visit the neighborhood and see it for what it is. A neighborhood coming back. What that means to you is subjective.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM

lol ok. @ getting out more. you changed the post sorry.

ive lived all over and have friends ALL over town. i live in beech grove right now (~6 months) and love it, nice and quiet. at one time i hated it and never even passed through. fountain square is cool dont get me wrong but its not exactly nice. if you know that and respect that they are working on the area thats cool but i think its going to be a while before it is what it once was.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppe View Post
lol ok. @ getting out more. you changed the post sorry.

ive lived all over and have friends ALL over town. i live in beech grove right now (~6 months) and love it, nice and quiet. at one time i hated it and never even passed through. fountain square is cool dont get me wrong but its not exactly nice. if you know that and respect that they are working on the area thats cool but i think its going to be a while before it is what it once was.
You were responding to a post in which I stated that it is tiresome hearing people who have never been to my neighborhood tell me how dangerous Fountain Square is. You then proceeded to call the neighborhood "straight ghetto" and admitted to not living in the neighborhood.

I never claimed Fountain Square was a squeaky clean, ghetto free area. It isn't. But if someone moves to Fountain Square expecting that, they are misinformed. Fountain Square, like many similar urban neighborhoods nationwide, is in transition. It is very cool to be part of the renaissance and watch neighboring houses get restored. At the same time, it is disappointing to see a kid that lives a block away from Shelby and Prospect rip a purse of a lady at the Family Dollar and run home with it. It is also disappointing to hear about one of my neighbors falling victim to a recent home burglary. Sadly, these things happen in a city (for the record, they happen in Fishers too). The same thing could happen in Chicago, Cincinnati, Evansville, Louisville, STL, etc. Some people are frightened off by that. Some are not. To each his own.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 AM

369 posts, read 681,432 times
Quote:
At the same time, it is disappointing to see a kid that lives a block away from Shelby and Prospect rip a purse of a lady at the Family Dollar and run home with it. It is also disappointing to hear about one of my neighbors falling victim to a recent home burglary. Sadly, these things happen in a city (for the record, they happen in Fishers too). The same thing could happen in Chicago, Cincinnati, Evansville, Louisville, STL, etc. Some people are frightened off by that. Some are not. To each his own.
I am sure some crimes even happen in Antarctica, but there are more things to look at than just the sole amount of crimes committed. Yes, Fishers has crimes like Fountain Sq., but how much land area is Fishers compared to Fountain Square? How many crimes per 10K people are there? What is the clearance rate for various areas? What is the conviction rate? What is the incarceration rate and average length of time served? What is the police response like?

I don't know if Fountain Square is ghetto, but outside of small, certain spots, it is a complete dump. Is it nice to see Fountain Square changing, yes, but the change is very slow. It would be nice for a wide spread change from down Virginia Ave., encompassing a lot more than just a few streets east and west. It would then be nice to try and combine that with revitalization of the greater Garfield Park area. Until the lower income folks move along, in great numbers, the area will continue to be 10-20% nice, 80-90% dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis