Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:09 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times

Advertisements

I guess you guys are right. I am an urban planner who has lived in Indy in the past and WILL return in the future, but am spending my young years in SoCal.

I understand its family draw. I really do. But Indy is one of the most imbalanced large cities in the US....when comparing the pop. between 21-35 and 36-50. This is usually a sign that a city will not make it successfully in the future, because once young people leave, many will not return. Keeping them here is key to a healthy future for Indy (and its the sole reason cities like San Fran and LA were able to succeed in the 1950's-1970's).

I hope when the market picks back up, they do some building and work on expanding their Downtown. Maybe the suburban conservatives wont visit, but it is, in my opinion, the key to keeping Indy healthy in attracting all age groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I find it interesting that a young person who left the Indy area would begrudge Indy for not having enough young people and that retaining young people is the key to Indy's success... hmmmmmmm.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful of your choice to move because I did the same thing, degree in hand, I bolted the day after graduation. But once we started having kids, we were drawn back, it's called being a boomerang Hoosier. Indiana is a place that draws families because of it's slower pace and cost of living. When one is younger, you don't necessarily think those things are as important, I know I didn't. But once kids and saving money for the future come into play, Indiana has a lot going for it.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
In a city the size of Indy or larger, you don't necessarily have to leave.

To each his own, I suppose. I myself moved to Indy for college and after graduating, I remained in the city. If my job hadn't brought me to Fort Wayne to work, I'd likely still be there. Just because I'm 27 and hold a college degree doesn't mean that I should be predisposed to live in a certain area; I like it just fine here in the Fort. And we as a state really need to do something about the "brain drain" issue because I would love to see a more balanced, educated poplace.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 PM

12 posts, read 33,340 times
I realize I am responding 7 years later, but hey, I agree with your comment and had to say so. Hope you are still alive. LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 PM

12 posts, read 33,340 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I guess you guys are right. I am an urban planner who has lived in Indy in the past and WILL return in the future, but am spending my young years in SoCal.

I understand its family draw. I really do. But Indy is one of the most imbalanced large cities in the US....when comparing the pop. between 21-35 and 36-50. This is usually a sign that a city will not make it successfully in the future, because once young people leave, many will not return. Keeping them here is key to a healthy future for Indy (and its the sole reason cities like San Fran and LA were able to succeed in the 1950's-1970's).

I hope when the market picks back up, they do some building and work on expanding their Downtown. Maybe the suburban conservatives wont visit, but it is, in my opinion, the key to keeping Indy healthy in attracting all age groups.
Actually, Indy's over 65 population only comprises 13% of the population. Indy is also one of the fastest growing cities in the nation.

Get the facts before throwing out uneducated ideas.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I heard that if you exceed a certain number of floors, the construction costs excalate due to building requirements.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Fire codes in particular really kick up the costs above 5 stories.
Hence why you see many of the new projects staying below that except 360 Market Square and Cummins.
City ordinance also requires different building materials above 5 stories which adds a rather large expense to the overall cost so builders like the 5 and below so it can well be a stick building.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdallas View Post
I think it's a valid question. Other cities with relatively low density like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston have many high rise apartments and/or condos. Even Denver, Charlotte, Austin, TX and Nashville have been having highrise building booms lately (at least until the market went south).
Austin is booming. Currently there are at least 10 new high rise buildings going up in downtown Austin and I am guessing the majority of those are condos. Check out the differences in the Austin skyline between the years 2004 and 2015. The difference is incredible and it seemed like it happened virtually over night. The high rises have a very futuristic look to them and reflect very well the vibrancy of Austin. Most of those high rises are condos and not corporate buildings. Seems like I read in the very near future 65,000 people will live in Downtown Austin.

From what I hear, Indy is healthy and vibrant and growing and has a Sunbelt boomtown feel to it. I have wondered why Indianapolis couldn't have those same kind of high rises downtown. Maybe not the same scale as Austin, but something that well reflects the vibrancy and health of Indianapolis, which I think is one of the nations most over looked, misunderstood, and under rated cities.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Seems to me there would be more high rise condo towers going up in Indy if there was demand for it.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Wouldn't Riley Towers count?

Anyways, related to this - what kind of people live in the high-rise apartments that are connected to the Fashion Place Mall?
Seems like it would be a meat environment and neat area but given the lack of activity at night and higher price tag I can't imagine it being a draw for YPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis