Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,673 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking at a home in Indianapolis and it is located on 832 N. Rural St. I am wanting to move to a low crime/poverty area from my MA home and was wondering if anyone knew where this street is? If you could give me an idea of the area and what it's like that would be great.
Thanks
Brian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
If you are looking for low crime and low poverty, the area around 10th and Rural is not what you are looking for. Rural is on the near east side; and forms one of the borders of the Rural-Sherman neighborhood, which is currently one of the worst areas of Indianapolis for crime. If you go a little west of there; say between State Ave and downtown, you start to get into some nicer rehabbed neighborhoods.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 02-18-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
I agree with prior poster. There are a few lovely homes at ridiculously low prices in some of these areas but low crime they are not. You need to have a knowledge of the area to make a reasonable judgement about the area.

Different answer whether you are investor or future owner/occupant.

From Woodruff Place east is iffy. Some great streets surrounded by problem areas. Some neighborhood development groups trying to revive the area but with so much to choose from in Indy, this will not be a fast process.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,569 times
Even if you are an investor, you need to find an area with low crime or else nobody will want to rent there or eventually buy the home from you.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM

34 posts, read 137,417 times
Think about the price of the home, and if the price of the home is affordable for someone making a very minimal wage (if any at all,) then you are probably going to have poverty in the area. In this case, just looking at the price the home has sold for in the past, that is what you are dealing with.

Sometimes it is nice to think that you could get a great home for what some of these are listed for, I have seen plenty that I would love to live in, but the reality is that they are at that price for a reason. For any home you are looking at purchasing, you should check out http://imaps.indygov.org/cvc/wizard.asp to check the crime within the past 90 days and see if it is acceptable for you. Best of luck in your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: