Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:04 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times

Advertisements

I never lived in Indianapolis but I did live in Muncie and we got Indianapolis television channels 4, 6, 8, and 13. This was back before cable when almost all the houses had outdoor antenas.

I remember the sportscaster on Channel 8 was Jim Wison.

I remember David Letterman had his own program on Saturday afternoon. Seems like it was called something like Flower Power.

I remember a weather person on Channel 8 was named Kay Field.

I remember Jane Pauley on Channel 8, I believe.

I can remember Charley Brockman and Buchshot O'Brien broadcasting the Pacer's games in the old ABA, I think it was Channel 4. Charley Brockman went on to become a nationwide broadcaster on Wide World of Sports

I vaguely remember Debbie Drake who had an exercise show each weekday morning on Channel 13, I believe.

I very well remember the high school basketball tournament games in March from Hinkle Fieldhouse on Channel 6

I remember Kindergarten College.

I remember watching Popeye and Janey on Channel 4 after school everyday.

Bill Jackson on Channel 13. They had kids in the audience and they showed cartoons.

I remember Harlo Hickenlooper and The 3 Stooges on Saturday mornings on Channel 6.

Wrestling was popular in Indianapolis. Dick the Bruiser was a local guy and real popular.

That's the local programming in Indianapolis that I can remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 11,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Cafeteria style? That was probably Garmens, previously Horners Cafeteria for many years. Jack Horner owned it and sold it when he retired to Garmen. I washed dishes there when I was in high school, can still remember some of the menu items.
I looked it up on Google maps, and it looks like the outer belt (Interstate 465?) was right in front of it! I definitely don't remember that. It seemed like it was all corn fields. Does the outer belt post-date 1980 or so? Or is my memory failing me? (They don't call oldronnie for nothing!)

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:32 PM
rec

47 posts, read 121,293 times
I worked at the Preston's market at 38th and Post Road in the 70s. Francis and Harold Preston would occasionally come into the store and even help bag groceries in the checkout lines. Only paper sacks back then and manual cash registers. Preston's was a real locally-owned small chain that eventually merged with the locally-based Safeway (not the national Safeway chain). Very customer-oriented philosophy - neighborhood grocery feel to it.

One of the customers there was Indy police homicide detective Jack Ohrberg, who lived around the corner from us near the store. He grew up on the same street as my mother in Irvington, except he was a little younger. We used to chat as I walked by his house and he was watering his lawn with a hand hose, cigarette hanging from his mouth. Saw him on the news a couple times at murder scenes, trench coat, walking by the crime scene tape. Anyway, he was shot and killed in the line of duty in December 1980 on the front porch of a house in Brightwood. Serving a murder warrant on a vicious gang of bank robbers. One of them shot him when he tried to force the door open. I was living at home at the time. My mother slumped against the kitchen wall and made the sign of the cross when she heard the news.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:42 PM

13 posts, read 11,571 times
Fun thread! I was born and raised in Johnson Co. and moved away as a teenager but still have lots of good memories. It was a great place to grow up. I sure do remember Cowboy Bob and Sourdough the Singing Biscuit! And Janie and friends. Every year at Christmas they had a tv show with Santa Claus and local kids would visit and make their requests. I believe Janie was the host. Timothy Church Mouse was a favorite show every week. Then there was Nightmare Theater with the terrifying (to me, anyway!) Sammy Terry. There was a phone number you could call and hear his heartbeat! We used to have family reunions every summer at Garfield Park and we saw Porter Wagoner there one year. Most of my memories are from Greenwood and Whiteland, though, so I'll leave that for another thread. REC, you mentioned Brightwood. My mother lived there back in the 1940s and she said it was so lovely and safe. I didn't realize that neighborhood still existed. They had streetcars back then and she said they rode them any time of the day or night without fear. She went to Tech High School and she said it was so big she would have to run to get to her classes on time. She didn't have much money and would buy two servings of mashed potatoes and gravy for a nickel for lunch. Oh, and my cousin lived down the street from the Frito-Lay factory. Her neighborhood always smelled like corn chips!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:17 PM

There use to be an ice cream place way out on the far NE side of Indianapolis we'd stop at on the way back to Muncie back in the early 70's three or four different times. Im pretty sure I would recognize the name if I heard it, but for the life of me, I can't think of it. I'm feeling like the 1st letter is a "K" or an "L" and it was out in the country, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, between Indianapolis and Fishers, which, back then, Fishers was basically nothing more than an exit sign on the interstate out in the middle of nowhere. If it wasn't for the Fishers exit sign, I never would have known there was a town, or even a little settlement around there. I don't remember how we ever found that ice cream place because you couldn't see it from the highway. I think somebody who was with us must have knowed about it, and that person suggested it, so we stopped. They had pretty good ice cream. It wasn't love, but it wasn't bad, either.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:22 PM

251 posts, read 311,615 times
Linder's?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:37 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzfn View Post
Linder's?
Absolutely. Multiple trips a week for milk and often ice cream. We went to the one on the south side at Meridian and Sumner, diagonally across from St. Roch's. There was a United gas station on the southwest corner of that intersection as well.

It never ceases to amaze me how little the near Southside where I grew has has changed. Granted, along the major streets there have been changes, but elsewhere everything seems much the same as it was 40-50 years ago.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 07-31-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzfn View Post
Linder's?
Yes sir, that was it. Linder's. Thanks.

Where exactly was that located on the NE of Indianapolis?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yes sir, that was it. Linder's. Thanks.

Where exactly was that located on the NE of Indianapolis?
For what it's worth, Linder's was a local chain, so there were locations all over the metro area.

RM

Old 08-01-2018, 10:49 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times
Anyone remember Atlas supermarket - I think on 54th & College ? I worked there in early 90s when I was in high school - and David Letterman worked there a couple of decades prior; we had the same boss, Sid - I think he passed in 2000 and that's when the place closed.

Funny thing is that intersection also hosts Jazz Kitchen, ton of good memories there going every Thursday night for salsa night in early 2000s - and it's still open !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis