Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 09:59 PM

114 posts, read 350,643 times

Advertisements

I have read that Riley Towers are a good place to live, but is there anything downtown that is a little less expensive? As the title says, I'm looking for somewhere that allows small dogs, so that cuts out some of the popular places. I am looking for a place in a safe area where I can walk to Monument Circle on a daily basis for work. Any ideas?

Also, do you all think downtown living is worth the extra cost? I know you can get a lot for your money in the suburbs and the traffic isn't bad, so what are your thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,495,327 times
If you live in the suburbs, allow for parking cost downtown in your calculation. Even at the Federal Building where you can find a limited amount of free parking about 5 blocks away, the lowest cost is $40a month. I have no idea what it is downtown.

That said, it is hard to find an affordable place downtown. Given the need for affordability, I would head south to just over I465 either along I65 or 31 both run straight downtown and have alternative routes in case of accidents. There are new and old along 31 and the area is safe and has a wide variety of services very close. Not a walkable area but nice.

Apartments in the St. Joseph area around 10th and Alabama or slightly north are in a great area and very walkable (I live right in the middle of this area). I especially like the Apollo and Garden Arch(Van Rooy Properties-Better Rental Living-Indianapolis Apartments) or the Ambassador (Buckingham Companies - Property Management, Development, Metro Construction Corporation - Apartments for rent in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio). The Apollo used to allow dogs but you would need to check current policies. Buckingham is leasing the Ambassador next to the library and it has been totally renovated. 70% leased right now but you will need to call the rental office for more info. They also rent the Plaza next door. If you find out rents, please post for others.
Note that both companies have a lot of properties and I tried to give you the ones within walking distance. If you do go above I65 (12th street) it is a longer hike but doable except in winter days of heavy snow. A couple of these buildings have new fitness studios that you may enjoy.

You will need to check out any dog and parking issues.

I love being downtown even though I rarely go "downtown". It is so nice not to have to get in a car to get something. The library is a great resource and there are activities each week downtown.

It really depends on what you like to do, where your friends are located, etc. If everyone you know lives on the north side and you dont really want to walk around and enjoy urban living, maybe the suburbs are better. I was the only one in my office living downtown.

If you ever need to get to the airport, a shared limo with pick up and drop off at the door is $12 one way downtown. We also have a local vet on 11th street. Good grocery store, downtown farmers market that should be open all winter too, two big yoga studios (Invoke and City), etc.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,141 times
Default Avoid the Ambassador

Whatever you do, avoid the Ambassador. I had a terrible experience there. It is way overpriced and I encountered several maintenance issue despite the building just having been renovated. Not to mention, the neighborhood is still a little sketchy at night. Buckingham is also a very difficult company to deal with when you have complaints. It's all niceties until you sign the lease. Then you are dirt to them. You can easily get a much better place, that is better located and cheaper with a more ethical company. If you are willing to pay Ambassador prices, you can get an extremely better place elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,772 times
To Alant7:

Would you provide a bit more detail as to your issue with Ambassador? I was looking at renting with them. What alternatives would you suggest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: