Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 20,217 times

Advertisements

Definitely true. Traveling on 465 was the bane of my existence. It was especially fun to drive the city when 70 was being reworked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,566 times
Good to know. Thanks guys!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM

245 posts, read 683,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaangGirl View Post

Note: I am about 55% willing to travel for school on the daily basis.
I wouldn't want to commute from Broad Ripple to West Lafayette every day, but if you schedule your classes correctly, you won't have to. Maybe you should look into scheduling your course load so you only have class two or three days a week? I knew several people at Indiana, where I went, and at IUPUI that only had class two days a week...granted, they were long days, but nonetheless they only had to attend class meetings twice a week.

If you schedule marathon days for yourself, you might only have to drive to Purdue on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for example, or maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Still better than five days a week.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM

245 posts, read 683,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToNoMi View Post
Also, like it's already been mentioned, you won't stick out like that much of a sore thumb at Lafayette. Seriously, it's Indiana -- you'd still stick out even in Broad Ripple with all of it's progressiveness and open-mindedness, so if you may as well live on campus.
I find this ignorant. Everyone in Indiana is not a small-minded fool, but of course the rest of the country doesn't seem to realize that (special thanks to turds like The Middle). Indianapolis, especially, is a diverse city with plenty of open minded and non-judgmental people.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToNoMi View Post

One more thing...why the knock at NW Indy, people? I know it's not the best place in the world to live, but most of Indy isn't, these days. Have you seen all of the crap happening on the far east side and up in Lawrence? You're better off living in the far west side, one of the small towns surrounding Indy, or up in Fishers. :P
The vast majority of Lawrence is fine--some of it is very nice. Might not be quite as homogeneous as it used to be, which I guess some people find problematic. The only area that is really troubling is around I-465 and Pendleton Pike, but even that's not too bad.

I'd say the same about NW Indy--only a few neighborhoods are rough (very moderately so) and the majority is generally upper income. Apartment complexes aren't so good, but that is generally the nature of apartment complexes over 30 years old in a city with very low-cost homeownership. As someone observed, Indy is the rare place where a mortgage can be cheaper than an apartment of similar caliber. Doesn't cultivate much demand for apartment living that way, so only the poorest live in the aging, unrenovated complexes.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Travel = NO. Mostly due to winter driving conditions on I65 which is mostly the only road. It has a lot of issues with snow/drifting and the issues can be severe.

Domergurl has a good idea. What is your major and can the classes be acquired in Indianapolis? Otherwise, live in Lafayette and live like a student. Jobs in any college town are hard to get as they are in Indianapolis due to the economy. Can you qualify for a graduate student assistant fellowship?

I definitely agree with the traveling situation!!! I-65 and even State Road 52, my alternate route, are horrible in the winter! Unless you have a powerful off- roading vehicle with a snow plow, I would suggest not traveling from Indy to West Lafayette for school. West Lafayette/Lafayette have plenty of great places to live and you should be able to find employment on campus, such as local restaurants, that should work around your class times.

And IUPUI would be good to check out. If you still want to live in Broadripple, your commute to IUPUI from there would not be as bad as the one from Indy to Purdue! GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis