Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 PM

693 posts, read 1,041,124 times

Advertisements

Need help!!!

My internet speed has been reallly slow recently. I've run defrag & disc cleanup, reset Internet Explorer 8 and contacted my internet provider (I connect via cable). My internet provider says that my internet speed is faster than normal although I don't know how.

Finally, I contacted Netgear (I have a Netgear router (model WNR3500). After several days of e-mailing back and forth, Netgear had me change some settings and finally told me to download the upgrade in which I did. My speed appeared to be fine for a couple days, but now, it's slow again.

Anybody know what my problem might be. Please be advised that I am not a tech person, so I'll need plain language please.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:56 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Not enough info to give a proper diagnosis, but if you're able to connect at all, it's highly unlikely that the problem is with your router, and if the cable co says your connection is ok, it probably is. My bet is some spyware or other nastiness on your PC. Make sure you have good antivirus that's running and up to date, and do a scan with a spyware scanner or two. Popular ones are SpyBot Search & Destroy, and Malwarebytes.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
We need some info, what type of computer? wired or wireless? What is the advertised speed of the service your paying for? Type of Service?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Is it the connection or the computer? Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

If you don't know, then your are just guessing.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Is it the connection or the computer? Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

If you don't know, then your are just guessing.
According to your link:

Downloaded speed is 0.09 mb/s
Uploaded speed is 8.66 mb/s
Ping is 21 ms

I don't know what any of this means however.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
According to your link:

Downloaded speed is 0.09 mb/s
Uploaded speed is 8.66 mb/s
Ping is 21 ms

I don't know what any of this means however.
But are you connecting via wireless or is the computer connected via cat5 cable to the router?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM

My computer is wired and the advertised speed is 7 mb/s. I contacted my internet provider again to get more info and the guy had me disconnect the router and plug the cable modem directly into to my computer. When the modem was connected directly to my computer, the speed was super fast, so the problem is definitely the router. I don't think its a security issue. I have McAfee and my computer is scanned regularly.

Maybe I need a new router?

BTW, my router is only 1 1/2 yrs old and I noticed a slower connection after a power outage a month ago.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
My computer is wired and the advertised speed is 7 mb/s. I contacted my internet provider again to get more info and the guy had me disconnect the router and plug the cable modem directly into to my computer. When the modem was connected directly to my computer, the speed was super fast, so the problem is definitely the router. I don't think its a security issue. I have McAfee and my computer is scanned regularly.

Maybe I need a new router?

BTW, my router is only 1 1/2 yrs old and I noticed a slower connection after a power outage a month ago.
Have you tried a hard reset of the router? (Usually a button on the back you need to hold with a paper clip for 10 seconds or so.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Have you tried a hard reset of the router? (Usually a button on the back you need to hold with a paper clip for 10 seconds or so.
Yes, I did that. Netgear walked me through several steps to improve the connection which finally led to the upgrade, but it hasn't solved the problem. I don't know a lot about routers, but I'm wondering if when our power went out, something got messed up internally (???).

Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did that. Netgear walked me through several steps to improve the connection which finally led to the upgrade, but it hasn't solved the problem. I don't know a lot about routers, but I'm wondering if when our power went out, something got messed up internally (???).
Thats a possibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet