Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times

Advertisements

Too invasive. Gave it up years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Too invasive. Gave it up years ago.
have to agree or maybe Im just not using it properly. but what I see of others posts... no thank you.. its mundane and has no purpose but to talk about yourself... swear, bully or make rude comments... not all though use it for this purpose... I read there on one post... ( I only have 50 friends) made me smile.. never have and dont want fifty friends in the real world never mind on a facebook page... how can anyone cope in reality with 50 friends... thats online acquaintances.... I have what I feel are four really nice online friends on here.. we share interests and were on the same wavelength with most things.... Im even meeting up with one lovely lady and her husband quite soon who are coming over to my neck of the woods for a visit.... how complimentary is that....that theyve chosen my country to visit and want to meet me and my hubby...Some though on FB brag about having over 200 friends... talk about thinning themselves out hahah.. they can keep it...

Old 04-20-2015, 06:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
have to agree or maybe Im just not using it properly. but what I see of others posts... no thank you.. its mundane and has no purpose but to talk about yourself... swear, bully or make rude comments... not all though use it for this purpose... I read there on one post... ( I only have 50 friends) made me smile.. never have and dont want fifty friends in the real world never mind on a facebook page... how can anyone cope in reality with 50 friends... thats online acquaintances.... I have what I feel are four really nice online friends on here.. we share interests and were on the same wavelength with most things.... Im even meeting up with one lovely lady and her husband quite soon who are coming over to my neck of the woods for a visit.... how complimentary is that....that theyve chosen my country to visit and want to meet me and my hubby...Some though on FB brag about having over 200 friends... talk about thinning themselves out hahah.. they can keep it...
These are the only issues I have with facebook which sometimes makes me delete people

1. People talking about their health issues

2. People talking about death

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
These are the only issues I have with facebook which sometimes makes me delete people

1. People talking about their health issues

2. People talking about death
Depends on the "health issue". Trivial stuff like coming down with a cold or have a headache are annoying. If someone is battling cancer or serious illness then I don't mind reading updates on those.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Depends on the "health issue". Trivial stuff like coming down with a cold or have a headache are annoying. If someone is battling cancer or serious illness then I don't mind reading updates on those.

I don't want to read about serious illness on facebook because it's depressing and should not be revealed publicly.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
I don't want to read about serious illness on facebook because it's depressing and should not be revealed publicly.

So, what should they reveal publicly?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Their parents, especially the mothers, joined Facebook in massive numbers.

That alone would make the younger folk abandon Facebook.
Zuckerberg should have been smart enough to start a subset of Facebook for older users. Call it FaceLift.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

So, what should they reveal publicly?
Fun topics

1. Weather

2. TV shows

3. Food

Stuff like unemployment, health, and death is too depressing to see in my news feed

Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
People don't like what other people post on FB?

Delete/unfriend them...

If the people you allow to post on your wall post crappy, inane, boring, mundane things, invasive things, unemployment, health, or death/grave illness things.

Don't blame the tool, blame the user at the keyboard...

I love in this age of the millennial/bubble-wrap generation people just can't ignore something they don't like (yet they'll go to a public forum like FB where Google Analytics is being used)...

As I posted earlier, I use FB to see what friends and former co-workers are doing and in 2015 not concerned about "THEM" finding out about my surfing/reading/purchasing habits... THEY don't need FB to garner my personal information...

As any astute reader of this or the computer forum knows there are numerous tools available to block advertisements (for those posters who complain there are too many ads on FB).

Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Fun topics

1. Weather

2. TV shows

3. Food

Stuff like unemployment, health, and death is too depressing to see in my news feed
You can simply hide those posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet